FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

OldChemE
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:25 am

When our daughter was 18 she asked permission to leave home to move to Ohio where she knew some friends and hoped to find a job. I said "no". She left anyway. 6 months later she came home and fearfully asked if we would take her back. She was afraid we would disown her because she left without permission. I then explained to her that I said "No" because she asked permission. My point was, when you are mature enough to go out on your own as an adult you will know it, and won't need our permission. If you have to ask you are probably not ready.

When her daughter asked permission to leave home she said "no." Her daughter did not leave--until a year later when her daughter decided to go away to college and told her mom her plans instead of asking permission.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 am

it's something that crosses my mind when I see a sign "authorised personnel only" : if you have to ask whether you're authorised to do something, then you're not

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:58 am
Original Member
Original Member

http://tonyisola.com/2017/02/show-me-the-money/

^click to enlarge

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:42 am

I must admit that I find graphs like that very unsatisfactory - a far more informative type of graph would be a box-and-whisker diagram showing the median together with the two middle quartiles

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:35 pm

expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Quote:
I’m not a vegetarian because I love animals. I’m a vegetarian because I hate plants.
—A. Whitney Brown (1952– ), US comdian and writer

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:34 am
Original Member
Original Member

What good is happiness to the world? It's fine for the individual, but happy people change nothing!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The fact that we are all unique in some ways makes us all the same

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Don't take the piss in my lessons or Dr Sarcasm replaces Mr Nice Guy...

(one kid fell foul of this today, he didn't enjoy it :lol:)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:56 am
Original Member
Original Member

Fall nine times, get up ten.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sometimes you gotta just put your head down, bite the bit, and pull the plow.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:26 am
Original Member
Original Member

Don't compare your google searches to other people's Facebook posts.