FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:36 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:14 am

never drink your last pint
many people have died after drinking their last pint

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You will never find a fossil in the last rock you pick up. Because once you find a fossil, you will continue looking for more.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

We're all stories in the end. Make it a good one, eh.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Choices that may seem like bad ones now, may end up being fond memories in the future.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

Any day you can take a shit's a good day.
~Chris Hardwick

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:20 am

Hot glass and cold glass look exactly the same.

(One from my first glassblowing course - forget it and you may lose your fingerprints for a week or two!)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:23 am

If you are handling chemicals wash your hands before going to the toilet as well as after...

One I use regularly in class when doing practical lessons (along with comments about oxidizing your bits)..

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:54 am

I always use hand sanitiser immediately before. If you think about it, the last object you touch, immediately before, is the lock on the bathroom door... which was last touched by the previous user right after they had used the bathroom - right before they washed their hands.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:17 am
Original Member
Original Member

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

"Real success is about who you are and how far you've come. If you ever worry that you're not as successful as you should be, you may be evaluating yourself against the wrong criteria."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

don't test my patience

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:22 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

For this I find a older view. A mature attitude. The pleasure you seek is not found in material possession. Not in wealth or physical ability.
Learning to give of yourself. To share your time to give it with pride and to be happy. To spread the smile and seek no rewards.
Knowledge sought and shared. Feeling the response for kindness shown. Oh it sounds so glib and simple. It's not., but it does work.
Lessons for our children is measured by the kind of people they become. Take the bow. Think about it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 am
Original Member
Original Member

Being oneself takes practice

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

iNow wrote:
Being oneself takes practice

Yes, that's perfectly true.. First you need to see that you do not want to be someone else. Learning to like yourself while maintaining a quest to be a better person,. The lesson we teach is by our actions.. Don't just tell your children. Show them your integrity.

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:03 am

You can tell me anything as long as you tell me the truth.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

Things I have told my son:

"The story's not really about a space alien."

"Every generation finds some way to upset the one before."

"One in six of the girls in your class will be raped before tenth grade. At least a dozen kids in your school are being abused now. Figure out who."

"The point of the vacation isn't to have a good time..."

"Every generation makes some mistake in how they raise the next one."

"Halloween is the night all children are expected to go wild."

"Nevermind 'look both ways'. To cross the street safely you must scowl at the drivers, and see reaction on their faces."

"I've forgotten how hard it is to be a kid. You will too."

"We all need things to love and things to hate. The trick is in choosing what, before need chooses for us."

"Your mom's just having a very bad day. Let's make a secret mark on the calendar each time and see if there's a pattern."

"You can have your very own robot if you practice something hard enough."

"Don't say sorry because someone told you to."

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:18 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:00 pm

pithy lessons for our children : don't listen to pithy lessons of anyone who's 10 years older than you

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There will never ever be a substitute for a wedge and a crack.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:42 pm

never is a long time

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Computers suck!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

Let our legacy be about planting seeds in a garden we never get to see.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Avoid caffeine as long as you can, because caffeine withdrawals suck.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:44 pm

what's that, caffeine withdrawal ? I often have several cups a day, but don't feel any side effects when I don't

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Anymore unless I have some form of caffeine, I get really bad headaches. Several years ago, I quit drinking coffee and energy drinks cold turkey (I was up to about two pots of coffee and an energy drink a day). What followed were three days of hell. Caffeine effects everyone differently, maybe I'm just weird.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Or, embrace caffeine as soon as you can - and make sure to always have coffee available :)

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:    |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:22 am

Instead of sweeping things under the carpet, try using a vacuum cleaner.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A coconut is not a nut, it is a drupe.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

No matter how bad you have it, there are always countless others who have it far worse.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Clear caches on a regular basis.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:20 pm

That's a dodgy pithy comment ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nothing dodgy about it, it just helps things run smoother than letting it build up forever. Although it does help with dodgy things ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:01 pm

:lol: Don't let your gf find out you care more about Science than, other things.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

^That's some pithy advice right there! :lol:

Never get a tattoo on the spur of the moment while drinking.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

refuse to fail - if a situation starts to look like failure, redefine failure until it doesn't apply to you and your situation

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:03 am

Stand up for what is right, even if you stand alone.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Being in love with someone who doesn't love you teaches you about what to aspire to be good enough to deserve.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:54 pm

Quote:
Don't let your gf find out you care more about Science than, other things.

I've fallen foul of that one a few times! (At least two major offences with a number of minor offences to be taken into consideration)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Quote:
Don't let your gf find out you care more about Science than, other things.

I've fallen foul of that one a few times! (At least two major offences with a number of minor offences to be taken into consideration)

Aw!!! and I thought that book on Neuropsychopharmacology was an excellent Xmas gift.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:47 pm

One of the major offences was attending a scientific meeting on another continent instead of attending her birthday party... Bloody wimmin eh!? ;)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
One of the major offences was attending a scientific meeting on another continent instead of attending her birthday party... Bloody wimmin eh!? ;)

I'll bet she even said 'go ahead, it's alright' and you being the chemist that you are failed to pick up the psychology of the moment. I don't blame you, however it's basic stuff, we're men and that says it all.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:42 am
Original Member
Original Member

Be open to different viewpoints, but remember that you cannot see what others refuse to show. You must meet in the middle, both you and them.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:22 pm

Be a member of the Self-preservation Society. Do whatever it takes to stay alive, even if it kills you.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:17 pm

If you are allowed to carry a firearm and you have to defend yourself with your firearm, " One Shot, One Kill, Shoot To Kill "

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Or more simply - never point your weapon at someone unless you're ready to kill them with it.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 pm

It's easy to be liberal when everyone agrees with your opinion.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:25 am

don't have such an open mind that your brain falls out

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

Leave things better than how you found them

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Pithy Lessons for our Children  |  Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

You can't say you've been drinking all day if you don't start in the morning. :mrgreen: