FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm

scire
Post  Post subject: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 pm

I know a person who constantly talks. By that I mean if there is anyone in her vicinity, she will start talking and not stop until all persons has had enough and leaves. I actually wrote an app that worked like a chess timer, timing how long each participant was speaking in the conversation. On one occasion, she clocked in 6.5 hours to the person's 17 minutes.

So, my question is, has this phenomena been studied? Do they have an idea what causes a person the need to blather on, forever?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:37 pm

at one time i was sitting next to a woman with a mobile phone on the tube who had a speech defect : every few minutes she had to stop talking to take a breath

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:44 pm

I imagine it's a fear of not being heard, a consequence of being deprived attention by a primary caregiver in infancy

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:57 pm

Rory wrote:
I imagine it's a fear of not being heard, a consequence of being deprived attention by a primary caregiver in infancy

I'd have assumed the opposite, childhood encouragement of talking being the cause.

Otherwise I'd be a non-stop chatterbox, but I'm naturally a very quiet and introverted person.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Daecon wrote:
Rory wrote:

I'd have assumed the opposite, childhood encouragement of talking being the cause.

Otherwise I'd be a non-stop chatterbox, but I'm naturally a very quiet and introverted person.

I too was thinking along your lines. Like they were probably one of those kids that just constantly talked and interrupted people while the parents would just be like "Atta girl you tell them all about that!" Or even encouraging it "Oh hey sweetie, why don't you tell them all about the trip?" I went to elementary school with a few like that. They would always interrupt the teacher, and were constantly in trouble for talking, meanwhile out of school the parents just encouraged the behavior because everything the child said was just so precious. Spoiled brat more like. I remember when our music teacher told them to "Shut up, or go to the office!" The look of shock on their face was great.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

Could be simple insecurity, discomfort with silence in social situations for various reasons. Could be caffeine related, or perhaps she's a coke fiend. Maybe it's a neurological issue or she's just excited to have people around like a kid opening a Christmas present. Perhaps it's a consequence of loneliness. Maybe the folks around her aren't saying anything interesting. Could be anything.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: Non-stop talkers  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:39 am

I do have one memory regarding my experience with a "recreational" drug about 10 or 11 years ago, and its effects on my ability to open up and talk more. My friend commented that I'd spoken more that evening than in the entirety of the previous month combined.