FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Wave Function Query  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Been reading about the wave function and I came across a couple terms I'd like someone to explain, hopefully in plain laymen style English. One is Born's Rule and the other is Bayes' Theorem. I can wrap my head around Born's Rule but the theorem I'll need help with. I came across both of these in an article re: QBism, (Quantum Bayesianism) and I'm wondering which of the two is the most widely accepted by the scientific community or are they both equally valid?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Wave Function Query  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:39 pm

I'm guessing Born's rule is the most accepted as Bayes work is comparatively recent...(and it is the Copenhagen/Born interpretation that is in all the textbooks). It takes time for new ideas to become widely accepted after all. If it stands the test if time and as claimed is a valid extension/interpretation of the Copenhagen interpretation it will eventually become the mainstream model. Above my pay grade at the minute I haven't had to think about or use high level QM for years!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Wave Function Query  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This article is fairly recent and for me, thought provoking.

http://ixnovi.people.wm.edu/papers/QBism_final.pdf

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

danaabisov
Post  Post subject: Re: Wave Function Query  |  Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
This article is fairly recent and for me, thought provoking.

http://ixnovi.people.wm.edu/papers/QBism_final.pdf

Intresting..