FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:59 am

Heatherdonahue
Post  Post subject: Life Without a Sun is possible  |  Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:45 am

I have lately been pondering the possibility of life existing on a planet that does not have a sun. So far the little research I've done has suggested that the core would have to be hot enough, coupled with a much thicker atmosphere in order to hold an appropriate temperature to sustain life. Other than that I'm pretty stuck.

What would be the parameters of such a core and/or atmosphere?

Also, the biggest mystery to me is how plant life would be able to thrive, or if life could possibly thrive without plants at all (probably a topic for a different thread).

admin note: sorry but i'll have to snip out the bit with the link to your site - it's a bit too spammy

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Life Without a Sun is possible  |  Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:04 am

This is just off the top of my head...

Hotter core? Radioactivity - this is the only way I can think of to maintain a hot enough core temperature to provide energy for surface life over geological time periods. The organisms would then have to be resistant to the radiation.

As for the lack of photosynthesis, the earliest unicellular life on Earth did not use photosynthesis (there was no oxygen way back then) - they were chemotrophs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemotroph). More advanced life could possibly develop using these as a food source (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myco-heterotrophy) but I don't know if you would get any "animal" life able to survive this way. Maybe a biologist could comment.

EDIT: I've just seen the spam link in your signature for a site that promotes academic cheating. Reported as spam.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Life Without a Sun is possible  |  Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:46 am

Gravitational forces could easily do it for billions of years--such as Europa and Io.

Also think only discussing surface conditions is far too limited, particular with rather strong suggestions that life on earth might well have started in the deep oceans.