FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:38 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Steve Jobs  |  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:08 pm

having recently finished reading "Inside Apple", and having watched the Steve Jobs movie on DVD, I decided to see what all these fancy Steve Jobs presentations were like

so I sat through the full presentation of 2007 when the original iPhone was launched, and also through one of the last presentations Steve Jobs gave in January 2011, and I must admit to feeling a bit deflated and wondering how time could have eroded the razzamataz of the day to something that now almost looks pedestrian

is it because smartphones and tablets are now so commonplace, or was it mostly hype that now feels fake now that the hype manufacturer is no longer there to make it feel special ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Steve Jobs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I would say that it was mostly hype that now feels fake. In 2010 when the Iphone 4 was announced, Steve Jobs made a big deal over the forward facing camera and video chat. Acting like this was the first time this had been done, even though there had been many phones with these abilities by that point. But of course the Apple fans just snapped up what Jobs was feeding them.

From what I've seen is Apple's MO is to either introduce incomplete work ahead of competition to be able to say they made it first, then release a fixed non-buggy model later. Or to release devices with features that already exist on other phones (typically less known, or only available in certain countries) and claim these features are new and revolutionary.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Steve Jobs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
Or to release devices with features that already exist on other phones (typically less known, or only available in certain countries) and claim these features are new and revolutionary.

and then patent that feature + sue the pants off anyone who infringe "their" patent

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Steve Jobs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:04 pm

In my opinion Steve Jobs was a wonderful innovator come salesman. I have recently seen two different DVD`s about Steve Jobs. I have been using IMacs and iPhones for quite a few years now. The products are good, but expensive in England.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Steve Jobs  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:58 pm

there was indeed a time when iPhones and iPads were cutting edge
nowadays they part of an ecosystem of similar devices, and maybe familiarity causes demonstrations from nearly 10 years ago to feel a bit hyped

however I still see Apple post-Jobs use the same type of razzamataz, and it's starting to feel dated - like it was said in the press, you don't get same messianic coverage for washing machines just because the new model has a slightly larger window where you can see the washing go round and round, or because it can now order its own washing powder on-line (or words to that effect)