FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 pm

I must admit to having mixed feelings now that the reed beds at our local nature reserve have been partly cleared : on the one hand, you're almost guaranteed to see at least one kingfisher if you stay in the hide for no more than half an hour

on the downside, however, the site is now so well known with wildlife photographers that most of the time the hides are packed full with them and their very professional - which makes me look very amateurish when I bring out my Canon Powershot (+ it's far less relaxing sitting in a crowded and sometimes noisy bird hide)

but sometimes I do get a decent shot in with my poxy box camera

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Just because they have shinier cameras doesn't make them better photographers

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:19 pm

i suppose you're right, but at times it makes you feel like you've been entering a angling contest with a stick and a piece of string - you might get lucky and catch a nice fish, but someone with the proper equipment definitely has a better chance of landing a big pike

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:08 am

:P Well, true. But it means that anything you do catch will be all the more impressive because it required more talent.

It's like when a rich kid makes it through college after being spoon fed anything and everything he could ever need. Good on him, but I'm more impressed by the kid who makes it without resources, connnections or any sort of convenience.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:51 pm

i was sitting in the hide yesterday when a few birders were discussing the merits and demerits of various types of cameras -they seemed to think that £5000 was not unreasonable for a good camera, but wondered whether they could get it past their wife for them to get it as a xmas present !

(btw, mine costs £200 - if I ever feel the need to increase my spending by an order of magnitude, someone send me to have a brain scan)

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Nice thing about birding and photography, is most bird species are active during the day, which means you don't need the most expensive glass to take pictures. A compact SLR, 200 to 300m telephoto lens (even a zoom) and inexpensive tripod, done for about a 1000 dollars, will get you 90% of the way to good bird photography.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:53 pm

what none of my cameras have been able to handle is poor light especially when combined with birds that never sit still

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Separate, but related: If you do use your phone for photos of birds, this app will help you identify them. It's like Shazam for ornithologists.

His cool is that?

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/14/basic ... rd-shazam/

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I need that app. I suck at bird identification and my area has a pretty diverse bird population.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:16 pm

what part of the world does it cover ? if it's just the US then it probably won't be worth my while

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Good point. Seems to be North America centric... for now.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: bird hide at Forest Farm  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:26 pm

pity :(