FAQ
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:43 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:15 am

Do we have any computer software/hardware experts on the forum?

Don't laugh, but I am trying to add a 30Gb hard drive to a 486 computer running Windows 3.1 and a 500Mb hard drive - yes, really.

The 30Gb drive physically fits into the frame below the original one and the spare power supply and data leads all fit - I am using a parallel master slave data lead. However, I cannot get the IDE driver to see the extra drive.

Is it possible to get the IDE hard disc driver to operate a 30Gb drive, or is that impossible?

Thanks

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:27 pm

how about trying to see if it wants to recognise an external hard drive ?
if it does then maybe it's something in the internal recognition oh extra memory - if, on the other hand, it doesn't, then it might just be that it thinks your trying to define something that in its universe doesn't exist

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:53 am

Win 3.1 (because it's FAT16) can't recognise anything larger than a 2 gig partition.
All I can suggest (if you really want to put that drive in) is that you partition it - but then you lose some of the capacity due to the partitioning e.g. it'd have to be 14 at 2 gig and the last at whatever remains.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:34 am

Ah, thanks Dywyddyr. I suspected it was a bit of a tall order, and this is not an area I know much about.

The 30Gb drive is from my Mum's old computer and I still use my ancient Windows 3.1 - which has no internet connection - as a secure place for stuff I don't want to get anywhere near the internet, such as financial things and potential patent ideas.

I thought it would be useful to back up stuff on the 500Mb hard drive to a second drive. Oh well.

OB

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:45 pm

Multiple partitions shouldn't be a problem - unless you have files larger than 2Gb.
I once had a single drive formatted up to letter "l".

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:39 pm

It could also be that the BIOS of machine that old can't recognize a disk of that size.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:55 am

OK, I will see if I can partition the 2nd hard disc.

If I disconnect the original hard disc and only connct the new one, will the computer boot up in DOS and BIOS and enable me to partition and format the new drive? - assuming the BIOS can handle it?

Obviously, Windows will not be available since it is on the original drive?

OB

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hard disc drivers.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:42 am

I see no particular reason to disconnect the smaller disc - DOS is part of Windows at 3.1 so you may well need it.
Hitting F8 (from memory) should let you have the option to boot into DOS, or even select the BIOS - it's been a while and I can't remember if partitioning can be done via BIOS.
If not there should be plenty of free DOS partitioning programmes available on the internet.