FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:56 am

Geordief the horse shit expert :lol:

Why don't kids listen! No matter how many times you tell them something they still ask you about it the next day?

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:03 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Geordief the horse shit expert :lol:

I plead the 5th.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:39 pm

People who think indirect insults are clever. You must be a GENIUS

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Why are people more afraid of clowns than climate change

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
People who think indirect insults are clever. You must be a GENIUS

Truly clever people insult someone but make that person feel complimented.

Why do computers always seem to start having issues when you need them most?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:59 am
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
Why don't people understand that there are more than two candidates running for POTUS?

Why do people think this is about lack of understanding as opposed to being about the application of a much more practical calculus?

IMO, Andrew Sullivan nailed it when he said this last week:

http://rare.us/story/a-clinton-hater-fr ... ertarians/
Quote:
“As someone who has never liked these people [the Clintons], who (has) always opposed them who still does not want to withdraw any of my criticisms about them, I am passionately in favor of her being elected President of the United States,” Sullivan said.

“It’s the only adult thing to do.”

Sullivan then called on Libertarians to abandon their principles and cast a vote for Secretary Clinton, so that Donald Trump will not become president.

“If there are any Libertarians out there…this is not the time to express your libertarianism, this is the time to stop this monster (Donald Trump) from destroying our political system.”

Watch for yourself: https://mobile.twitter.com/RealTimers/s ... 80/video/1

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:44 am

Quote:
Why don't people understand that there are more than two candidates running for POTUS?

Sorry, my bad. I thought all the others had dropped out. Even the BBC only ever talks about Clinton and Trump.

OB

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

@inow; My own rational calculus is to not pick from among the worst of the choices.

@OB; Which seems really strange to me, any one of the third party candidates is a lot sexier than either end of the Clintrump.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:59 am

why does football have referees but cricket has umpires ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One beer wrote:
Sorry, my bad. I thought all the others had dropped out.

They basically have. For all practical purposes, they've never been viable. One's polling around 2% and the other at 5%... at that's their highest ever. They have zero chance of winning, but huge chance of siphoning enough votes to allow an unfortunate Trump win.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03/10/ho ... elections/
Quote:
- No third-party candidate has ever won a U.S. presidential election. The strongest showing for a third-party candidate came in 1912, when former President Teddy Roosevelt left the Republican Party. He ended up coming in second, with 27.4 percent of the popular vote and 88 electoral votes.

- It's generally agreed that Roosevelt's 1912 candidacy took votes away from the Republican candidate, incumbent President William Howard Taft, allowing Democrat Woodrow Wilson to win with just 41.8 percent of the popular vote.

- Many say third-party candidate Ralph Nader played a "spoiler" role in the 2000 election. Running to the left of Democrat Al Gore, Nader received 97,488 popular votes in Florida, a state Republican George W. Bush won by just 537 votes. If most of the Nader supporters had voted for Gore instead, Gore would have won Florida's 25 electoral votes, and he would have been elected president instead of Bush.

- A few third-party or independent candidates have been elected to Congress over the years. The Senate currently has two independent senators, Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut and Bernard Sanders of Vermont. There are no independents in the House right now.

- As is the case in some presidential races, third-party candidacies sometimes split parties in congressional races. The most recent example took place last year, in New York's 23rd Congressional District. Many Republicans publicly deserted the party's official nominee, Dede Scozzafava, to support Conservative Douglas Hoffman. Democrat Bill Owens won with 73,137 votes. Hoffman came in second with 69,553 votes, and Scozzafava got 8,582 votes despite dropping out a few days before the election. If a large majority of Scozzafava's supporters had voted for Hoffman, Hoffman would have won instead of the Democrat.

Bottom Line:

Third-party candidates rarely win elections, but they can split parties. That can effect the outcome of an election when a third-party candidate is especially strong, or when the race between the two other candidates is especially close.

Why have I gone against my better angels and allowed myself to play such a primary role in derailing this thread? :oops:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Why must I love chocolate milk but have a milk allergy (allergic to the casein in milk)?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:43 pm

just skip the milk and keep the chocolate !

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:27 am

iNow wrote:
Why are people more afraid of clowns than climate change

^like^

Because our brains are wired to ignore climate change. That is, the majority of people's brains. Certainly not mine!

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Why are creationists still a thing? Or maybe more accurately why are so many people creationists? Like seriously I have been asking myself this for at least a decade.

Because Creationists save the anti religious types the trouble of trying to make fools out of them.

Why would any health professional smoke cigarettes? (If you drive by our local hospital you can see several puffing away in what I assume is a smoker's area behind the building)

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Why would any health professional smoke cigarettes? (If you drive by our local hospital you can see several puffing away in what I assume is a smoker's area behind the building)

Because they're flawed individuals like all of us. I eat ice cream and drink chocolate milk on occasion, even though it causes my throat to swell up and makes breathing hard. I enjoy the taste too much for my own good. I imagine the same goes for them. Or they could be deniers of the negative impacts of cigarettes. I met a man with a degree in geology who still insisted on a 6,000 year old Earth, so it's possible.

Why do are some otherwise intelligent and decent people such horrible conspiracy theorists? (Not about anyone here, one of my childhood friends is this way. Cool guy, but holy crap once he gets started on it be prepared to her new world order half a dozen times)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:32 pm

Why do people assume that once you predict something negative it must be a "conspiracy theory"?

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
Why are creationists still a thing? Or maybe more accurately why are so many people creationists? Like seriously I have been asking myself this for at least a decade.

Because unlike the other issues they admitted they were wrong about (like the earth being flat or the center of the universe), the evidence for evolution/old-earth can easily be covered up with dust.

Why do I feel tired in the morning when it's time to get up even when I got enough sleep?

Why do I love the taste of foods that are bad for the environment? (dairy and meat)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Why do I tell people what the weather will be like when I always get it wrong?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 pm

Why do people start incredibly 'safe' threads that add no new perspectives and take us nowhere?

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Why do people start incredibly 'safe' threads that add no new perspectives and take us nowhere?

Why do we respond?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 am

never mind that - I say with Tom Jones (and all Stoke City fans) :

why why why Delilah

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Why do people assume that once you predict something negative it must be a "conspiracy theory"?

If you are struggling to understand my position, I will try again to explain it, but the above does little more than confirm you don't properly comprehend it or can't be bothered to authentically try.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:11 am

why are blonde jokes always about blonde women ?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:18 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
One beer wrote:
In a country that developed or created : the Apollo program, Blues music, Silicon valley, the nuclear bomb*, the Lockheed SR71 Blackbird, Apple, the Fender Stratocaster guitar, Tesla, The V8 engine, The Boeing 747, the GPS constellation etc,...........

.........Why is it that the only two candidates for the next USA Presidential election are Donald Drumpf and Hillary Clinton. I mean; REALLY ? :shock:

OB

* OK, moral issues aside, it was an incredible technological achievement.

Probably because the media outlets focus only on Democrat and Republican candidates. That is just the way it is.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

marnixR wrote:

Because blonde men are, just blonde men, it is that simple.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

so let me get this straight

blonde + men = not funny
blonde + women = funny

hence the active ingredient in blonde jokes is "wo" ?
is that why Terry Wogan was funny ?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Two questions.
First, what does " wo " mean ?
Secondly, what has Terry Wogan got to do with jokes about blonde women ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Man + Wo = Woman

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:21 pm

Man + Wo = Manwo

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:

Because bald jokes are always about bald men.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:50 pm

wireless wrote:
Secondly, what has Terry Wogan got to do with jokes about blonde women ?

I'm sure Terry Wogan must have made some blonde jokes in his day

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:32 pm

A quick google does not reveal any blonde jokes made by Terry Wogan, that is a shame.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:42 pm

pffft - who uses Google for search anyway ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Why would anyone use a search engine other than Google?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:59 am

i've got a Rough Guide to the Internet from 1998 at home - it's an interesting read to see the variety of search engines there were about at the time

maybe some of them are still around, but most have gone the way of the dodo
in those days i tended to use meta-search engines like Dogpile

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:18 am

Why is curiosity important, why are attempts at a disciplined investigation important, and why can't we simply jump to conclusions and/or ignore our ignorance?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
i've got a Rough Guide to the Internet from 1998 at home - it's an interesting read to see the variety of search engines there were about at the time

maybe some of them are still around, but most have gone the way of the dodo
in those days i tended to use meta-search engines like Dogpile

Dude I used to use Dogpile all the time too. There are still people using AOL after all so I'm sure some of those early sites hung around.

Which leads to, why are people using AOL still?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:02 pm

Do you remember Ask Jeeves?

Them was the days :)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:02 pm

not exactly a "why" question, but what the hell ...

if coffee is the answer, what was the question ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 pm

You've already asked that question once, marnix

And I answered, who cares what the question is? :P

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:01 pm

but I didn't ask it in this thread

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:20 pm

Why? :-P

Why do charity shops overfill their shelves?

No, more is not better. It is not helpful that you have crammed the clothes in to the point, where I have to physically wrestle with the entire row of clothes, just to be able to look at one item that looks interesting from its sleeve :roll: annoying

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:32 pm

marnixR wrote:

Google appears to be the Rolls Royce of search engines at this moment in time. I have used Google for many years.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wish I could remember the name of the search engine company my brother worked for years ago. It went extinct but for the brief time it was in operation he was being paid in stock options as well as salary. The stock was worth 4 dollars at one point when he asked me what he should do. I checked with a friend at a local investment firm who provided me with an overview of the stock. In the few days it took to get his report it had shot up to 8 bucks. By then I thought it was too expensive so I bailed. In 2 weeks it was at 65 a share and a week later.... practically worthless, a victim of the Google( and a few others) love affair. I had told him to sell when it hit the 50 mark but he held and ended up with next to nothing while looking for a new job. I wish I had bought Google shares when they were cheap...there was some big money to be made when the competitors were vying for the large market share. Pick the right one and you could've been set for life.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
marnixR wrote:
Google appears to be the Rolls Royce of search engines at this moment in time. I have used Google for many years.

Why is humor / sarcasm so difficult to convey online?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:46 am

iNow wrote:
wireless wrote:
marnixR wrote:

indeed

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:53 pm

iNow wrote:
wireless wrote:
marnixR wrote:

Possibly because inflection in the written English language is difficult to convey.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:22 pm

why, if wildebeest follow the rains, are there no wildebeest in Manchester, where it rains all the time ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:46 pm

Because they're too busy eating the sheep in Cardiff?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: why  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 pm

i think you may have the wrong idea of what a wildebeest is like - they eat grass, not sheep