FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:29 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Radio Data System car radio poor performance.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:29 am

There does not seem to be an electronics sub forum, so I have posted this here.

In recent months, I have noticed that VHF FM radio reception on the RDS radio in my car (UK) has started dropping out and sounding like a CD that is skipping.

I know how the RDS system works, and that it will retune to the strongest station. This happens every once in a while as one drives around, but lately, I am wondering why it seems to be doing so much more often - several times a minute. I have tried selecting AF and REG on and off in various combinations to no avail. This also happened in the car I have just sold, and Mrs One beer has noticed it happening in her car too, so it is not one faulty radio.

Two reasons that spring to mind are

a) the transmitted power of the radio stations has been reduced, causing the receiver to switch more often, or

b) the timing of the audio signal input to each transmitter has not been adjusted to make all the received radio signals time-coincident.

Any thoughts or fixes?

OB

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Radio Data System car radio poor performance.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:06 am

Hmmm, I will take that as a 'no' then !

I think that what was happening was that the radio would see that an alternative frequency for the same station was momentarily stronger (owing to atmospheric and geographical effects on signal propagation) and so would change to it. However, the alternative frequency was only stronger for a second or two, and so the radio would soon switch back, causing annoying mutes every time it did so.

I have turned off the alternative frequency re-tuning, and the radio output is much better - without the mutes. The signal strength of most local stations is sufficient that retuning as I drive locally is not really necessary anyway.

If I go on a longer journey - where the signal of one transmitter will eventually fade, I will select the AF feature back on.

OB

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Radio Data System car radio poor performance.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry, OB. Saw your question, but wasn't expert enough on the topic to offer an answer.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Radio Data System car radio poor performance.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:24 pm

likewise here :(

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Radio Data System car radio poor performance.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:38 am

No worries guys. I think I have found a way round the problem.

OB