FAQ
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:28 am

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm sure if BillVon comes around he has a good answer right on the tip of his tounge, but for whomever. What would be the best battery I could take backpacking? I want to be able to recharge a dumbphone, have a little light, and running a heat pad that could boil about 16 oz of water would rock. I figure I could recharge with solar and thermocouple, but don't expect a very spectacular rate. Like a solar panel on my pack might get me one boil after two days of hiking?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

For the phone charger and light I would suggest a Waka-waka charger. They're solar powered and they're pretty efficient, a friend has one and they love it. Here's a link to their site: http://us.waka-waka.com/products/ not sure about it's ability to run a heating pad though. Wish I could be of better help. Hopefully Bill comes around and offers up a suggestion.

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:26 pm

What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-300000mAh-Portable-Solar-Charger-Dual-USB-Battery-Power-Bank-RT-Phone/262519019984

It's waterproof, has a built in light and solar panel. Hell, for 8 bucks each, you could buy like 5 of them and just strap them all to the back of you backpack. What voltage and current draw does you heating pad use? If it's more than 5 volts, you could just cut up some old usb cables and wire them in series to get more voltage, or in parallel if you needed more current, or if the batteries were low.

[engage smartass mode]

There's a brand new, fancy alternative to using electricity to boil water. They're called matches. You just pile up some small twigs and brush, then scrape the top of the match on the side of the box and PRESTO! instant heat! No batteries needed.

[disengage smartass mode] :)

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Giantevil, would you mind posting a link to your heating pad? I tried to do a google search to find a similar product so I could see it's power needs, but came up empty. Plus, I'd like to see how the thing looks.

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Ok, forget the solar bank I recommended in post #3. I just posted that after a quick google search...after looking at the stats more closely, it sounded a bit too good to be true. After looking at a few you tube video reviews, these cheap, unbranded solar banks claim ratings that are far higher than they really are. They may claim 300000mAh, but are really just 4800. Plus the solar cells on them are really just a gimmick, it would take days or even a week to fully charge the battery with the solar cell alone.

So if you do buy one, expect to get somewhere around 5-10k mAh...and the solar charging part is pretty much worthless. Still, for less that 8 bucks each, it might be worth it to get a few charges on your cell phone, and an led light.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Hey! BillVon, or whomever! Best wired wilderness battery  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:23 am
Original Member
Original Member

Out in wilderness now, lucky to have signal. Haven't got electric heating pad yet. Need to conserve dumbphone power too. Got some pictures for when I get back.