FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:02 am

Curiosity
Post  Post subject: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:43 am

Hey all, just wanted to throw this up to see if anybody has any experience or
passion for this field. Was hoping someone might be able to offer a little bit of info as to the background they've had before entering
the field, required/expected knowledge to conduct research in the area.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:42 am

hmmm ... unless I'm much mistaken, i'm afraid you're probably way ahead of the majority of the membership on this one
personally I don't have any experience or knowledge that migh be of assistance, I'm afraid to say

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I know a lot of great work is being done in the field, especially in the military who is looking to have better control over flight systems and related weapons, as well as the veterans hospitals who are working to give greater control and sesnation to amputees getting limb replacements, but beyond that I'm not personally aware of who's strongest in the field or where the focus is.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Curiosity
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:32 pm

Haha I'm currently completing 4th year psychology, and am noticing that a lot
of the people in the BMI and bionics area tend to be neurologists, electrical engineers and biomedical engineers.

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:50 am

Curiosity wrote:
of the people in the BMI and bionics area tend to be neurologists, electrical engineers and biomedical engineers.

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but i just noticed your post and figured you would probably be the best person to ask....

Do tinfoil hats work well to filter out "the voices"?

Curiosity
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:02 am

gbalkam wrote:
Curiosity wrote:

Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but i just noticed your post and figured you would probably be the best person to ask....

Oh they totally do, but not as well as atypical antipsychotics, although side effects may include: weight gain, increased risk of type 2 diabetes, menstrual and sexual
dysfunction, and cardiac dysfunc.... you know what? Stick with the tin foil hats...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

gbalkam wrote:

I'm probably missing something simple, but was there something about the question in the OP you found crackpottish? Brain machine interfaces are a very real line of active study and investment, so what am I missing?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Brain-Machine Interfaces and bionics  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 am

iNow wrote:
gbalkam wrote:

I'm probably missing something simple, but was there something about the question in the OP you found crackpottish? Brain machine interfaces are a very real line of active study and investment, so what am I missing?

Oh yeah. A sense of humor.
I think the op got the joke, probably blew his coffee out his nose when he read it.

I found nothing at all "crackpottish" (spellcheck is pitching a fit right now) about the post, since "brain machines" are quite commonly used for various purposes. Most commonly I think, in diagnosing sleep disorders.

And, less commonly I think.. transferring a rabbits mind into a chicken and visa versa. But those never seemed to end well. It was usually the Doctor who ended up in the chicken.

Seriously though, I do see a lot of application for these. Be it running as a computer interface, controlling remote devices, such as a power wheelchair, and even someday, treatment of brain or nervous system disorders such as helping a person with a severed spinal cord walk again, by one day, bypassing the damaged area. If all of these were available in the next 20 years, I would not be at all surprised.

Now, I suppose if someone were interested in getting started, the study of Neurobiology would be a good place to start.