FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:26 pm

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:34 pm

You know.. there is a difference between a techie and a nerd. A techie will tell you what can and can not be done. The nerd will do it anyway.

Nerd queston:

A man falls off a 60 foot high platform. He lands on solid rock and then stands up and walks away. How?

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

Hi. :)

...the man is 120' tall.

...he fell onto an asteroid.

...he fell onto a 59' platform of solid rock.

...he's a bungy-jumper.

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:22 pm

gbalkam wrote:
You know.. there is a difference between a techie and a nerd. A techie will tell you what can and can not be done. The nerd will do it anyway.

Nerd queston:

A man falls off a 60 foot high platform. He lands on solid rock and then stands up and walks away. How?

He fell off the bottom of the platform?

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:54 pm

He lied about being dead?

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:00 pm

His name is "Kal-El".

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

^So great! I love this group of people :lol:

Welcome to the community, gbalkam!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 pm

I didn't mention a bungee cord, Kal'el is a fictitious character. He FELL so he wasn't at the bottom of the platform.

And...

The
Platform
Is
On
The
MOON................

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:29 pm

gbalkam wrote:
Kal'el is a fictitious character.

That's fightin' talk!
He can't possibly be fictional, I've seen him in films.

Last edited by Dywyddyr on Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 pm

gbalkam wrote:
The
Platform
Is
On
The
MOON................

I considered that. Briefly.
A 60 foot fall would equate roughly to a 10 foot one on Earth. But with the weight of his suit nearly doubling his own mass and an impact velocity of about 30 mph then, even disregarding the possibility of cracking his helmet, I'd say that he'd at the very least need help to walk away. ;)

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:59 am

welcome and hope you like it here!

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:38 am

gbalkam wrote:
I didn't mention a bungee cord, Kal'el is a fictitious character. He FELL so he wasn't at the bottom of the platform.

There is nothing in the definition of the word that precludes him from being at the bottom (such as on the bottom rung of a ladder built into the platform that leads to the top). To fall merely means to descend from a higher position to a lower one. You can be standing on good ol' terra firma and fall.

Last edited by scire on Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:45 am

Dywyddyr wrote:
gbalkam wrote:
Kal'el is a fictitious character.

That's fightin' talk!
He can't possibly be fictional, I've seen him in films.

Nicholas Cage's kid is in movies already?

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:29 am

scire wrote:
gbalkam wrote:

There is nothing in the definition of the word that precludes him from being at the bottom (such as on the bottom rung of a ladder built into the platform that leads to the top). To fall merely means to descend from a higher position to a lower one. You can be standing on good ol' terra firma and fall.

well.. if he were on the ladder, he wouldn't be on the platform.. right? I also considered the space suit, but figured it would act as protective padding. I think the bungee cord was a good guess though, since i did not preclude the use of a tether. In fact, nearly all the answers were pretty decent. The question was simply thinking outside of the box. For example.. certain factors can not change.. the height of the platform and the landing surface. And of course the 60 foot fall. So since we can't change the height.. or the rock.. what can we change to affect the fact that the guy didn't get hurt? The force of impact when he landed.. and of course the main factor that determines the force of impact would be gravity. :)

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:35 am

Dywyddyr wrote:
gbalkam wrote:
The
Platform
Is
On
The
MOON................

I considered that. Briefly.
A 60 foot fall would equate roughly to a 10 foot one on Earth. But with the weight of his suit nearly doubling his own mass and an impact velocity of about 30 mph then, even disregarding the possibility of cracking his helmet, I'd say that he'd at the very least need help to walk away. ;)

You should have put it down. The information was there.. he fell but didnt hurt himself. Even on Earth, falling from a 24 foot ladder, usually you can just get up and walk it off. Provided you didn't land wrong and break something.

I suspect the worse part would be that with reduced gravity.. you would fall slower.. and have more time to think about it on the way down.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:51 am

gbalkam wrote:
Even on Earth, falling from a 24 foot ladder, usually you can just get up and walk it off.

Usually?
Head and cervical spine injury was common when the fall occurred from 0-20 feet height and Fissure fracture of the skull and fracture of cervical spine was noticed when the fall occurred on to concrete from minimum height of 3 feet and on to hard soil from the height of 10 feet. Multiple rib fractures, fracture of clavicle and laceration of liver was noticed when the fall height was 7 feet on to concrete. [http://www.alameenmedical.org/ajms/ArticlePDFs/AJMS.5.1.2012%20P%2045-52.pdf]
I don't see much difference between rock and concrete.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:36 am

Forgot to add: don't forget that -with the suit - the impact involves ~twice as much energy as would a 10 foot fall on Earth.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

Let's not assume gbalkam is from Earth. "The moon" could be tiny Charon.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:23 am

would a suit filled with water cushion the fall (provided the suit doesn't split open and spill all its water)

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi all. Just joined.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:24 pm

gbalkam wrote:
well.. if he were on the ladder, he wouldn't be on the platform.. right?

Wrong. So very wrong. I don't know your familiarity with platforms, but a great many of them have a climbing device to get to the top (I don't know any where you can just miracle yourself up there). The whole unit is called a platform. Likewise, if you fell of a 50 foot ladder, but fell off the first rung, you've still fallen off a 50 foot ladder.

At any rate, it's pointless to argue about a hypothetical platform. It seems more plausible an answer than having to involve extraterrestrial travel.