FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:01 am

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The bus driver is studying the route map, could be going on an adventure here. Luckily I tend to provide myself extra commute time .

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Just off to teach a class the joys of titrations...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
The bus driver is studying the route map, could be going on an adventure here. Luckily I tend to provide myself extra commute time .

Hope it's not while driving. What's it like to be chauffeured around in a $150,000 vehicle.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:

Tit rations? I didn't know that went on but I understand your feelings of elation:D

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:09 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
PhDemon wrote:

Tit rations? I didn't know that went on but I understand your feelings of elation:D

They are a deprived area up North.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:16 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
PhDemon wrote:

There is no shortage of them in some of my classes... (just realized how dirty that could sound but I mean it as an insult not a literal body part :lol:)

The little darlings are now practicing mole calculations before we begin the practical...

Last edited by PhDemon on Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:17 pm

geordief wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:
PhDemon wrote:

They are a deprived area up North.

You obviously haven't been to the Bigg Market on a Friday or Saturday night! ;)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:24 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
GiantEvil wrote:

Hope it's not while driving. What's it like to be chauffeured around in a $150,000 vehicle.

Driving home yesterday and Sultans of Swing came on the radio. I took my eye off the road to adjust the sound quality for a second , looked up and was almost of the road. As I pulled on the steering wheel (on the straight ) the car took off into a skid . Wow. Things can happen so quick. I was lucky and hopefully another lesson learned.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
GiantEvil wrote:

It was before the first run of the day for that line. They did fine and I had no adventures, slightly disappointing. I suspect the busses cost even more than that, the local bus service is fairly incompetent and pretty ripe for scamming and ripping. Hear their paying about a million a unit for some new busses.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

About to lead an office hours / Q&A call to problem solve issues in real-time with about 100 people doing the job I used to have

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Just sitting here listening to music and typing letters at work. Thinking about driving to the Grand Canyon when I go to Phoenix next month.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:11 pm

It's beer o'clock, I'm off to the pub!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Wrong! :!: you're all typing. :)

Waiting for the train home and thinking about the man.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
It's beer o'clock, I'm off to the pub!

Meanwhile it's not even noon here... I can hear my rum at home calling my name already. :lol:

And yes technically I am typing :P

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I was typing on the way to the pub, phones are great :p

The small screen can be a ball ache though... When I first read your post I thought you could hear your mum calling :lol:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

How's the pub? It's almost lunch time here. But beer o'clock is still five hours away.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:53 pm

5 beers in and winning a darts match, it's all good...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I ended up drinking a little after work, making taco salad for dinner, and playing Resident Evil 6 on PS4 with my girlfriend. She actually got the hang of the game really quick. Now I'm sitting at work drinking an energy drink.

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:15 pm

So I'm a college student and I was sitting on a park bench by a building when two guys in ties walked up to me, and I could tell that they were religious.
They asked me if I was religious. I said, "No, in fact I'm reading an anti-religious book right now" (God: The failed Hypothesis) which probably wasn't a good idea considering what happened next.
They started talking to me about God and tried using arguments on me for his existence. Funnily enough all the arguments they were using appeared in the book I was reading and were debunked. One was where the universe came from, other was the blind watchmaker argument, but using a bag of pens as an example instead of the watch.
So they kept talking to me and I was probably way nicer to them than I should've been, because the conversation lasted 30 minutes.
At the end they said they would say a prayer to me, but they asked me to say it. They opened their book and showed me how to pray. Like God is up there like "I'm not gonna answer you unless you put your hands in the right position and use the right opening and ending lines!"
I opened up random.org and asked for a random integer 1 to 1,000,000. I put my hands together and prayed that the number generated was 1.
I clicked the "Generate" button, and the number was 611400.
One of the guys asked, 'Is it 1?" and I said "No, it was six hundred eleven thousand, four hundred".

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:46 am

Jehovah's witnesses or Mormons ?

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 pm

marnixR wrote:
Jehovah's witnesses or Mormons ?

Mormons, which I think is the better of the two.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Two guys in ties sounds like typical Mormon missionaries. Next time lie and say you're Catholic. They should just look at you disgustedly and walk away.

Tell religious nutters like that that you're an atheist and they will talk your ear off trying to save your soul, tell them you're a Catholic and they will look at you like you're beyond saving and leave you alone. At least that's been my experience with the Mormons and Witnesses. If they don't act repulsed by your profession of Catholicism, then they at least assume you already are a part of a congregation and figure it would be too hard to steal you away to theirs.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Six pints in to a real ale pub crawl around the toon... Life is good ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I just sent a school field trip up to the fossil site. Luckily it was a small one, only about 24 students. Not one of the massive 120 student groups. Cannot wait for work to be over today.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Six pints in to a real ale pub crawl around the toon... Life is good ;)

Real Ale, as in the craft brewery from Texas? If so, that's one of my faves, but I'm doubting that's what you mean given your locale.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:46 pm

It's probably similar, dark beer that actually tastes of something not cold fizzy crap ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ale#Real_ale

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:04 am

Hi folks,

Just discovered where you all went.........

OB

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:01 pm

Welcome one beer...

What am I doing right now? Working, sipping coffee...

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 pm

I have been in Glasgow for a few days visiting friends and family. I am now thinking how to bomb out iNow on the politics stuff. :)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I transplanted a tree in between conference calls today. Then I came inside to catch up on all of the emails that came in while digging and planting. Now I'm putzing around catching up on new posts here at TSF.org until dinner time.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

It's my Friday, so I'm doing the stuff in the picture. Some things pictured may not be legal in less free parts of the world.
The coffee in the press is French Roast, mortar and pestle ground from whole bean.
The bong is being loaded with Skywalker Kush, an Indica dominant hybrid from High Frequency Farms. And also White Gold from WA Grower.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Yikes! The strongest I drink is coffee sachets ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
It's my Friday, so I'm doing the stuff in the picture. Some things pictured may not be legal in less free parts of the world.
The coffee in the press is French Roast, mortar and pestle ground from whole bean.
The bong is being loaded with Skywalker Kush, an Indica dominant hybrid from High Frequency Farms. And also White Gold from WA Grower.

Up where I'm at in Eastern Wa, legal pot growers are becoming a big employer. Which is good because mining is on the way out here. I've never tried pot before but I do have some edibles that I purchased from a local store in my freezer to try on a long weekend.

Today is my Monday so I'm at work, catching up on emails, drinking Monster, and browsing the forum.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
GiantEvil wrote:

Up where I'm at in Eastern Wa, legal pot growers are becoming a big employer. Which is good because mining is on the way out here. I've never tried pot before but I do have some edibles that I purchased from a local store in my freezer to try on a long weekend.

Today is my Monday so I'm at work, catching up on emails, drinking Monster, and browsing the forum.

Isn't this rich! Some guy on the internet is smoking pot and telling some other guy on the net that energy drinks are "m'bad m'kay" :mrgreen:
I've tried several of the edible brands and have yet to be impressed. If I make my own, then I generally end up fetal'ed on a bed or couch.
There is no substitute for a bong. And if pot and booze are to be mixed, do so very carefully and conservatively. And never ever smoke if you are already drunk! That is an instant evening end'er.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:
GiantEvil wrote:

Isn't this rich! Some guy on the internet is smoking pot and telling some other guy on the net that energy drinks are "m'bad m'kay" :mrgreen:
I've tried several of the edible brands and have yet to be impressed. If I make my own, then I generally end up fetal'ed on a bed or couch.
There is no substitute for a bong. And if pot and booze are to be mixed, do so very carefully and conservatively. And never ever smoke if you are already drunk! That is an instant evening end'er.

Okay Mr. Mackie :lol:

I will keep that in mind. My Aunt makes her own edibles and from what my cousin has said they have the curl up on the couch for hours effect as well. Part of why I haven't tried it is because I don't even like being drunk, I hate the feeling of it. I like the taste of alcohol though, so I drink socially.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
I will keep that in mind. My Aunt makes her own edibles and from what my cousin has said they have the curl up on the couch for hours effect as well. Part of why I haven't tried it is because I don't even like being drunk, I hate the feeling of it. I like the taste of alcohol though, so I drink socially.

You know the first time you play a new game, you don't know the rules, you haven't developed any strategy, you might not like it. But you go with it, and start to learn stuff, and then it's fun. Oh yeah, context is important too. But I figure you knew that.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:23 am

Just been woken up by a delivery driver.

I was on a night shift last night and was sleeping-in; not planning to get up for a couple of hours to prepare for my night shift tonight. Most drivers ring once then go away, leaving a note. This bloke kept ringing and ringing and knocking on the door. I thought maybe there was a serious problem such as a house fire, so I got up and answered the door.

Nope, just a delivery. Tore him off a strip for disturbing me.

OB

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One beer wrote:
Just been woken up by a delivery driver.

I was on a night shift last night and was sleeping-in; not planning to get up for a couple of hours to prepare for my night shift tonight. Most drivers ring once then go away, leaving a note. This bloke kept ringing and ringing and knocking on the door. I thought maybe there was a serious problem such as a house fire, so I got up and answered the door.

Nope, just a delivery. Tore him off a strip for disturbing me.

OB

So, what would happen if you flew to the airport and it was closed? Was there a sign on your door that said you were sleeping, not in the privy, or the garden?
Really, nice job on "tearing off a strip" for the guy that went extra to complete the mission.

P.S. I really like your avatar, Peanuts was a major formative influence in my early childhood.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:54 am

Yeah, I hear you. I tore him off a strip because unlike the other delivery drivers who knock or ring once and then go away, this guy kept knocking and ringing, making it impossible for me to get back to sleep. No I did not have a note on my door, but am considering it. However from personal experience I know that a lot of people do not read notes on doors.

As I said, since he kept knocking and ringing, it sounded like something very serious was wrong such as a fire. To have got up and gone downstairs to find it was not a fire, crash or flood, but just a package that would not fit through the letter box really annoyed me. He obviously could not be arsed to put the delivery note through my door and take the package back to the depot as they are supposed to do in such situations.

OB

Yes, I love Peanuts and identify with Charlie Brown. Charles Schulz was a genius.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:27 am

By the way, if our destination airport is closed by the time we get there - it does occasionally happen if an aircraft bursts a tyre on landing for example - we will fly to our designated alternate airport.

All commercial aircraft carry extra fuel to enable them to fly to an alternate airport - it's actually the law to do so.

OB

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm sitting at work waiting for my vacation to start tomorrow. Wednesday, my girlfriend and I fly into Phoenix Arizona, and we'll be there until the following Tuesday. We're going to stay with a paleobotanist we know. I'm excited to go visit her lab at the university. The purpose of the trip is to attend my girlfriends sisters wedding on Saturday. This is my first real vacation of leaving Washington in a few years. Normally I just go to Seattle for Comic Con for my vacation.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:01 am

Just about to start a class where the kids will do an experiment to calculate the molecular weight of the gas in cigarette lighters... What are the odds on the fire alarm going off? ;)

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Seems a shame to ride a bus when it's not raining, but it is dark out. The bus is only available for a portion of my work schedule, otherwise it's about a 12 mile ride. 7-11 coffee sucks.

@OB; If there's a sign, you can tear the guy off two strips, one for each of us.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:19 pm

What are the odds of the school burning down :lol: High, if I were doing it

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:42 pm

No fires but the results were... Iffy... Got a range of 16 to 110 for the molecular mass of butane with only 3 groups getting close to the right answer (58) :roll:

Just got home drunk... The few beers after work turned into a few more ;)

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:53 am

Meddling around with the settings of my newly purchased laptop, and marveling at its construction for being able to pack a decent level of processing power and a dedicated GPU into a 1.30 Kg body.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:15 am

Having breakfast at 0415 local time before setting off to the airport.

What a stupid time to have to go to work ! :roll:

OB

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:59 am
Original Member
Original Member

When I have early travel days like that, I usually try to pack the night before, sleep as late as possible, then have breakfast at the airport after through security. Fortunately, there's a nice little cafe in the terminal with warm sandwiches on fresh bread that always satisfies so it feels like a treat.

I'm trying to wind down. Everyone else is asleep but me (not uncommon), there are some loud neighbors out back hootin and hollarin and having a high decibeled good time, though fortunately no early calls tomorrow so no worries.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 am

Clearly, the molecular mass of butane isn't static :P

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:24 am

iNow wrote:
When I have early travel days like that, I usually try to pack the night before, sleep as late as possible, then have breakfast at the airport after through security. Fortunately, there's a nice little cafe in the terminal with warm sandwiches on fresh bread that always satisfies so it feels like a treat.

Only thing is, I actually fly the plane, so I can't go to sleep or doze once on board !

Having breakfast again today at 0420 local time. This is the last early flight duty of four in a row, so hoping I will not be called out from my standby duty tomorrow, and unusually I have the weekend off to recover.

OB