FAQ
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:57 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What am I doing right now? Marveling at the fact that OB is a active pilot and realizing how jealous I am :D

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks, but don't be jealous, because it is a mug's game now to be honest.

With the introduction of low cost flying; pilots are often worked up to the maximum allowable flying duty times, so fatigue is an ever present threat. We fly weekends, and very early mornings or very late nights. In my previous airline, we flew 6 days on, 2 days off, and we finished the 6 days on a late and started the next 6 on an early, so our 2 days off were more like just over one day off in reality. Because of the complex scheduling, we have to book our leave 7 months in advance, and cannot take a day off at short notice.

Because of the constant cost cutting, our ground handling agents get worse and worse, so getting a flight loaded and away on time is a real pain and lots of hassle. I was physically assaulted recently because I asked a baggage handler to stop throwing our customer's cases out of the hold and dropping them on the ground.

I still enjoy the actual flying, and will have to stick at it, because at my time in life, getting into another profession will be difficult.

I have my twice yearly simulator exam next Monday. We are put into a full 6 axis aircraft simulator, and all sorts of technical failures are thrown at us by the examiner to see how we cope and manage. Things such as engine failures on take-off, electrical failures, hydraulic leaks, fuel leaks, and even the other pilot "dying" all have to be worked through successfully to have our licences revalidated - and we have to do this twice a year! We also have an extensive medical once a year. So basically, there are three possible times each year when a pilot could lose their licence and their livelihood !

Ho hum, I had better continue my revision. :D

OB

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What am I doing right now? Thinking how lucky I am NOT to be a pilot like OB. ;)

Good luck on the recert next week!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Getting ready for an open day tomorrow... Making the chemicals and setting things up for the dangerous, ahem I mean fun stuff ;)

They wouldn't let me do this one though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:45 pm

Kill joys ;)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:42 pm

I will demonstrate the thermite reaction, I'm just not allowed to lob it into a box of fireworks or a washing machine :lol:

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:41 am

Shame, your bosses have no sense of adventure !

Passed my SIM.

Can breath again (and pay the mortgage) for another 6 months !

OB

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What am I doing right now? Drinking a Monster Energy drink, while at work. I got back from my vacation in Phoenix yesterday. Quite the weather shock to go from a week in a dry 92F climate to a rainy 45F one. Think I'm getting sick to boot, which could be due to the change or being in planes with people (among other various possibilities).

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

:roll: Pleased for the pass for One beer., We have had a wet day and the Observatory remains shut so my Friday evening is a little empty..

~ My purely scientific wiring has noted a little issue or two;
That Juno, while closing in for another view of Jupiter turned itself into a safety 'hold' ( something is 'wrong')
The Euro program inserted into orbit around Mars, but it's landing probe let go it's chutes early.. Oops.

I do not seem to have the spare time as I had, so my frequency of time spent in these chats has dropped away..
The Super Market has me driving a larger truck to and fro.. :arrow: :geek:
I will continue to look in and will be watching..

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's a damn shame about the landing probe, but these things do happen. Hope you find more time to hang out here Mark.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:49 am

Hey Astro, thanks and don't stay away too long.

Confused about these probes that crash land onto Mars.

I realise that it is extremely difficult to successfuly land a probe on a remote planet, but commercial aircraft have double or triple systems for safety critical functions. Surely probe landers have multiple systems too?

OB

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One beer wrote:
Hey Astro, thanks and don't stay away too long.

Confused about these probes that crash land onto Mars.

I realise that it is extremely difficult to successfuly land a probe on a remote planet, but commercial aircraft have double or triple systems for safety critical functions. Surely probe landers have multiple systems too?

OB

From my understanding the delay in communication with equipment on Mars probably has a role in this. Communication isn't even close to instant at such a distant. I think it's somewhere around 3 minutes at least. So if something screws up, we won't know of it until 3 minutes after it already happened.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 am

Sure; the landers will have to be autonomous, since owing to the comms delay, instantaneous external help is simply not possible.

However, given the cost in money, man hours and calendar time to get a lander to Mars, if I was designing such a thing I would at least double up all the vital descent equipment and sensors.

Commercial aircraft have two of everything needed to perform an automatic landing in bad weather: two autopilots, two ILS receivers, two separate electrical generators and two separate electrical distribution systems. Two airspeed sensors, two radio altimeters, two flight guidance computers, etc, etc. Everything needed is doubled and kept separate, and any significant disagree between the systems will trigger us to abort. Crucially though if one system fails, the remaining system can continue.

So if the mass of a lander needed one 'chute and three retro rockets, I would equip it with two 'chutes and six retro rockets, separately controlled. Otherwise, it is taking a hell of a chance that the one landing system will actually work, because failure will lead to total loss of the lander and everyone's money and time.

Kind of reminds me of the original myopic Hubble telescope where an optical fault was not noticed or even tested for before launch.

OB

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I was just grasping at straws. Honestly I'm with you on that. I like things to have multiple backups.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:28 pm

I am reading about Ed Whitlock, the Canadian runner that would put many men in their twenties to shame. If he had concentrated on running in his prime he would have been an Olympian.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:19 am

Playing on repeat

Guys we were born in stars and only by an immense throw of quadrillions of dice are we here.

F*ck it

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:02 am

I woke up early and walked the scenic route into work along the river. I can confirm the Tyne was very foggy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVuYd_uzGYA

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:07 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Getting ready for an open day tomorrow... Making the chemicals and setting things up for the dangerous, ahem I mean fun stuff ;)

They wouldn't let me do this one though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEoqrjFX1yI

No wonder, that's how the twin towers were brought down. And you know what happened next!!!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MODNOTE: Some posts were split into their own thread here: http://thescienceforum.org/post26419.html#p26419

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Listening to The Offspring and drinking a Monster energy drink while getting ready to do some database work.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What a f***king month. My daughter had a miscarriage, my wife suffered a stroke, and my B-I-L went to Holland for a vacation and is still in hospital there with a 10cm x 10cm abscess in his stomach(nearly died). My kid is doing better, my wife's stroke affected her speech temporarily and is back to normal, and now they're talking about Medivac (ing) my B-I-L back to Canada for Xmas. I've been answering phones, texts and e-mails constantly and I'm beginning to wonder why I quit drinking years ago. ;)

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:42 pm

Whoa! Sorry to hear you've had such a rough time lately. Hugs. You probably don't want comfort from the nutjob of the Forum, but hugs anyway.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:26 am

In the pub with my Dad for a few sharpeners before Christmas lunch...

You've got to keep up these traditions, it would be rude not to ;)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:36 pm

I am having a good Christmas so far. I got the World of Warcraft Legion expansion from my parents for Christmas. Later we are going to my uncle and aunts house for Christmas dinner. I hope to see all my relatives and my little cousin at my uncle and aunts house. I bought a bottle of Italian wine and I hope everyone who has some likes it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:36 pm

I am at the airport. Heading to Tierra del Fuego to visit my sister and spend New Year with her...

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:41 pm

Trying to nap before we go and see my grandma, three aunties, three uncles, six cousins and seven cousins' children (I don't know what you call them) in Liverpool.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:48 pm

all at the same time, or consecutive visits ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:40 pm

All at the same time: most of them live in the same close, across 3-4 households. My remaining aunty, uncle, 3 cousins and their children live in Manchester. So, yeah, there weren't enough seats :)

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Today is my Monday, and I just made my bus in seconds flat.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Right now I'm trying to stop feeling nauseous. For most of this week I haven't been able to eat without feeling incredibly nauseous. Think I have the stomach flu or whatever crud has been going around my area.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm thinking that in exactly one hour my weekend starts.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 pm

My weekend started 5 hours ago... I'm now drunk walking hone thinking of what pizza I'm going to buy from my local takeaway ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm still at work. I've got a little over a half hour left. I'm thinking about making bacon cheeseburgers for dinner tonight. My nausea can just suck it up and deal with it :lol:

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:43 pm

I've just returned from Germany to Tenerife. I've been frozen for two weeks, at either -17 or -7 (probably the latter), wearing several layers of clothes and not being able to feel my ears. Now I'm basking is warm sun wearing not much more than a teeshirt. 8-)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

DrKrettin wrote:
I've just returned from Germany to Tenerife. I've been frozen for two weeks, at either -17 or -7 (probably the latter), wearing several layers of clothes and not being able to feel my ears. Now I'm basking is warm sun wearing not much more than a teeshirt. 8-)

Probably a stupid question but Celsius or Fahrenheit? Because I had about a months worth of -20 Fahrenheit here. Now the mid twenties feel warm to me lol.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:12 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
DrKrettin wrote:

Probably a stupid question but Celsius or Fahrenheit? Because I had about a months worth of -20 Fahrenheit here. Now the mid twenties feel warm to me lol.

That was centigrade, and I'm now experiencing +20. There is only one weird country in the world which uses Fahrenheit, and I learned to use centigrade before almost everybody in the world changed to Celsius, and I'm not bloody well going to change now.

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:50 pm

Centigrades rule...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

M_Gabriela wrote:
Centigrades rule...

No Tardigrades rule. :D I mean seriously those little buggers can handle a lot.

@DrKrettin - glad to hear you're back where it's warmer. I've got weeks more of below freezing weather still.

precious
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:51 am

wondering, where www.thescienceforum.com has gone?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 am

precious wrote:
wondering, where http://www.thescienceforum.com has gone?

The owner seems to have abandoned it .....for whatever reason.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Fitting a new hand basin in the shower room.

As usual, these things are never straight forward. Someone had glued the old basin to the wall, (???) and despite me being very careful, some of the plasterboard wall tore away with it, leaving holes and chunks missing.

So now, what should have been a 2 hour job, and instead of having the new basin fixed when Mrs One beer gets home; it will take me a few days to repair the wall and paint it before fitting the new basin.

And the pipe work to the new tap will have to be changed.

Oh well, off to the hardware store........

OB

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzfXzx73EE

Press here doesn't really have a very good opinion about Trump.

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:43 pm

M_Gabriela wrote:
Watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzfXzx73EE

Press here doesn't really have a very good opinion about Trump.

Almost impossible to believe that 53% of American women actually voted for this male chauvinist bully.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

White women, without college degrees specifically.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/us/p ... trump.html

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:55 am

Do they subconsciously see him as the dominant alpha male?

OB

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:09 am

I sincerely hope not

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:22 am

Me too,

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:25 am

I am sad.....Spousy leaves tomorrow...and I won't see him till March for doctors appointments for me.

*sigh*

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:26 am

but I am also happy to see familiar names here!!

ONE BEER!! CHEERS!

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: What are you doing right now.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:01 am

Hello Ms babe !! How are you?

Yes, it is very nice to see so many friends from the other site on here now.

We flew Luton-Gibraltar* yesterday, but it was too windy to land. We tried twice and then diverted to Malaga**. Then we had to wait for our Gibraltar passengers to be driven to Malaga in coaches before we could fly home. We landed back at Luton about 5 hours later than planned. I got home at about 0330 and am feeling quite tired today !

OB

*Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territory in southern Spain. The runway is very short and landing conditions can be notoriously difficult.
**Malaga is a very popular holiday destination in southern Spain, and a significant number of expat Brits live there.