FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:58 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Staggering Numbers  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/712253/Milky-Way-map-esa-gaia

Gaia mapping the galaxy. 1.142 billion stars, all with their locations pinpointed. In general, is the Milky Way large or small in comparison to other galaxies? With more than 100 billion galaxies in observable universe (last number I heard) I feel rather insignificant when I estimate each star system to contain at least 5 planets each with who knows how many moons.

How does this map benefit astronomers? Will it need constant updating due to movement?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Staggering Numbers  |  Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/galax ... -1.3803385

Looks like Gaia only scratching the surface

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss