FAQ
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:08 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Extremophiles  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Along the lines of Star Trek's Prime Directive, is there an international law banning the intentional transport of extremophiles to other planets/systems?

I started thinking about these little beasties when on the other forum there was talk of sending postage stamp size spacecraft into interstellar space. Why not give a few of these organisms a ride?

Along that line, what possible damage could just one single microscopic organism do to another planet? Not only that, could it have happened here, unwanted microbes show up unannounced from other worlds either unintentionally or via a real intentional longshot?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Extremophiles  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:22 pm

I assume that exobiologists would be horrified by the idea - any contamination would make their task of finding real extraterrestrial life impossible
on the other hand, I doubt whether there's that's really legally binding, at best a gentlemen's agreement between likeminded scientists