FAQ
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 7:04 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've read water formed as much as a billion years after BB. Is that a good estimate? Did the temperature of the early universe allow for water to exist as solid,liquid or vapor in space? Today, are there pockets of water detectable in space?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:16 pm

These guys have found evidence for water at 2.5 billion years after the BB
http://www.astronomy.com/news-observing ... 20universe

but I guess you are referring to this story
http://www.astrobio.net/topic/deep-spac ... -universe/

this is a theoretical study and although very interesting and a good hypothesis to await further data to test it my gut feeling is to go with the observational evidence as it would take a reasonably long (exactly how long I dunno) length of time to establish an equilibrium water concentration balancing formation with photolysis.
Any water formed would be vapour as the matter in the universe at the time that was not part of stars would be low density molecular clouds.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Not same story but it agrees with the 80° early universe (billion year old) temperature. Once water ends up on a planet, is there another amount of time required for it to stabilize (if that's a good word)?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

It depends ;)

If it is close to a star you will still have the photolysis issue. If there are chemical species around that react with water these will also delay the build up/ equilibrium of water on a planet.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Earth's water, when I was a kid they said it originated from an abundance of icy objects that struck the planet in it's early years. Does this theory still hold water(pardon the pun)? If so, were those icy chunks once part of worlds that contained water or did they did just pick up water as they hurtled though clouds of vapor in space?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Water in Space?  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 am

I think the comet water hypothesis is still accepted as how some of Earth's water got here but I think it is now considered implausible that it is the only water source on the early Earth (the isotope ratios of water in comets do not match those of sea water on Earth). IIRC analysis of Moon rocks has suggested a lot of water was already present when the Earth formed (possibly from carbonaceous chondrites whose isotopr ratios do match those of seawater on Earth...

These water containing chondrites may have picked up the water as it condensed on them when they passed through molecular clouds, or if the chondrite where ixygen rich it may have formed in situ.

Short answer: your guess is as good as mine ;)