FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:46 pm

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What do they say, 'have no fear'. I probably tread where I shouldn't but how else am I going to learn anything.

The rise in food allergies, could it be that edible plants are evolving to make themselves less appetizing/palatable? I read an article in which the author stated that natural selection(NS) should work in our favor and if anything a decrease in allergic reactions should be noticeable. In fact, if you google the subject there is more than one article that supports this thought. But why wouldn't NS favor the plants? Would not a less than desirable food source trying to survive have a tendency to be left alone by hungry animals? Does NS favor life forms that propagate, generationally speaking, with a more rapid change than humans for example?

Should I feel sorry for the Vegans of the world if allergic reactions to plants continues to rise?

Added question: Other than the time of humans, in life's history on Earth, has there ever been a mass extinction period that affected just plants? Animals that depend on plants being collateral damage of course.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:26 pm

do you have any particular substances in mid ? because if you're thinking about lactose and gluten, those aren't allergies but intolerances, something that individuals can't handle in their digestive system

when it comes to milk, the majority of human beings can't digest it once past the baby stage
even amongst those that do (i.e. mostly of European extraction) this ability can falter as people get older

when it comes to gluten, wheat is evolutionary speaking a relatively new food, and presumably some people have been better than others at dealing with the gluten part of wheat

when it comes to real allergies I'm not aware that relate to food stuffs - pollen for hay fever, and being allergic to bee stings, but not actual food

or have I missed something ?

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Oh I probably missed something. Is not a food allergy an adverse reaction of the immune system to a food? i.e. nuts.

If there are no food allergies than what should they be called? Or is food allergy a wrong term?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:12 pm

oh sorry, totally forgot about nut allergies

the strange thing is that people were convinced that nut allergies were exacerbated through the presence of peanut oils in baby food, now current medical wisdom tells us it's the lack of exposure to nuts that makes things worse - plus, it now appears that some people with a nut allergy can be introduced to nuts in such a way that their tolerance of them increases

it's probably true that the incidence of nut allergies has increased (although that may be because in the past these same people would have died rather than led relatively full lives), but i'm not sure whether this is an increase that will ultimately involve most human beings on the planet

does anyone know whether nut allergy is evenly distributed across the world, and if not, whether it is in any way related to the adoption of a western lifestyle (like obesity and some types of cancer) ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I would like to add that there is such a thing as a milk allergy. It is an allergic reaction to the alpha S-1 Casein protein in cows milk. I have this allergy, luckily it's only mild and causes me to wheeze and have restricted breathing with some swelling. I don't get hives from it thankfully.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:28 pm

i was not aware of this type of allergy - i assume it's far less common than lactose intolerance and nut allergies ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Less common for sure, but apparently there are about 200,000 cases of it each year in the US. However, it mostly happens in children and the majority of them grow out of it. Luckily it's one of those allergies that you can build up a resistance with. So I can consume small amounts of dairy without any negative effects. Drinking large amounts of milk (any amount of whole milk) or eating a bowl of ice cream affects me more though. Also I don't know if it's due to the allergy or if it's psychosomatic, but milk always smells bad to me, the exception being chocolate milk. I haven't drank a glass of regular 2% milk in close to three years.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is it easier to eradicate an allergens source if it's a plant? In the OP I thought that steering clear of any plant that gives us trouble increases the plant's chances of survival. However, since it is us who are affected and who knows what we are capable of, then it could work the other way.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:15 pm

not sure if nut allergy could count as a defensive mechanism from the side of the plant producing the nuts

after all, humans are far from the only nut eaters, and probably not even the major factor the plant has to deal with - think for instance rodents and seed-eating birds

i'm not aware if nut allergies exist within those groups, and if it does, then it probably is so limited that the predation pressure on the plant is hardly affected at all

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Update: Looking up milk allergies more (MayoClinic website) my reaction to milk falls under anaphylaxis... I've never thought of my restricted breathing from it as being that severe, because it goes away in a couple hours and only causes what I would consider mild discomfort. Never thought that it was actually life threatening, just that it was miserable. Apparently I should be getting that checked out when it happens. :| Well shit, now that occasional glass of chocolate milk doesn't seem quite as worth it.

Curiosity
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:33 am

Zinjanthropos wrote:
What do they say, 'have no fear'. I probably tread where I shouldn't but how else am I going to learn anything.

I read an article in which the author stated that natural selection(NS) should work in our favor and if anything a decrease in allergic reactions should be noticeable.

I'd actually have to disagree with the author of that paper. With the increased availability of medical intervention to cases of anaphylaxis or any life threatening allergic reaction to foods, the presence of this allergy becomes
less important as a survival pressure. Instead, if any person who had a life threatening reaction to the respective food died, then you would tend to see lower frequency of of alleles for these serious allergies over time. Though that would be the case only if it had a significant genetic component and was not solely environmentally determined by lack of exposure during early childhood.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Will All of us need an Epi Pen one Day?  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

There's the curious case of camus lilies cultivated especially around southern Vancouver Island. The bulbs provided practically the only starch in Native diet, so were quite valuable and traded. We ate the bulbs of blue-flowered lilies only, never the indistinguishable bulbs of white-flowered lilies aptly named "death camus". The funny thing is these two flowers usually grow intermixed, and it's hard to see how people dug a lot of these (which they did) without some lethal mistakes.

Tradition says these bulbs were also transplanted and propagated - a sort of rudimentary agriculture. I've often wondered if we played a paradoxical role meanwhile in the distribution of death camus.