FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 am

christaffah
Post  Post subject: Possible future scenario: Earth shrouded in dust.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:04 am

I have done some research, but come short as to figure it all out:

Say the earth is being hit by a comet, or similar events that will lead to parts of the earths crust to dismantle into dust particles and cover the outer part of the earths atmosphere. The catastrophe itself is not killing many creatures. As the earth would rapidly heat up there will be fires everywhere, raining enflamed glass-drops and eventually burning the whole globe. After this event there would be no sunlight reaching the surface and the earth will cool down. I have found that moss and algae would thrive in this environment and would be covering a huge part of the world pretty rapidly after these said events.

In this scenario, say that it was scientifically predicted, some humans have made effective eco-systems under earth's surface and are capable of living there while the atmosphere and surface isn't livable.

- How long could it theoretically take for humans to live on the surface again? Are we talking five hundred years, or five thousand?
- How would the world eventually look like? Would there be the same water/land ratio as today?
- Where would the world be livable first? Would the earth's temperature be too high at the equator, or too low nearer to the poles?

I have a crazy amount of questions regarding this kind of events, as I am doing some writing on the topic. But I guess this is as good a start as any. Would appreciate any kind of help and directions to other articles related to the aftermath of a similar events, rather than the event and the immediate consequences.

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Possible future scenario: Earth shrouded in dust.  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:36 am

christaffah wrote:
Say the earth is being hit by a comet, or similar events that will lead to parts of the earths crust to dismantle into dust particles and cover the outer part of the earths atmosphere.

I have a crazy amount of questions regarding this kind of events, as I am doing some writing on the topic. But I guess this is as good a start as any. Would appreciate any kind of help and directions to other articles related to the aftermath of a similar events, rather than the event and the immediate consequences.

Sadly, I have nothing intelligent to offer on the topic, but there is a good (fiction) book I read that kind of has this as a theme. It's called Seveneves. The rumor is that Ron Howard will be directing the movie version.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Possible future scenario: Earth shrouded in dust.  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:11 am

A lot of dust and particles in the atmosphere is more likely to have a cooling effect by reflecting incoming solar radiation.

Oops re-read you covered this later in your post.

Quote:
How long could it theoretically take for humans to live on the surface again? Are we talking five hundred years, or five thousand?

It would depend on the size of the particles, the smaller the particles the longer they would stay up there and affect the climate. My guess is that you would be talking years, rather than hundreds of years for the particles to sediment out of the atmosphere but the impacts may take longer to recover from. It would take a lot longer for the surface crust to redevelop, I 've no idea how long that would take.

Quote:
- How would the world eventually look like? Would there be the same water/land ratio as today?

Your guess is as good as mine but if the impact vapourized a lot of water and threw it up into the upper atmosphere it would be photolysed. The hydrogen produced would be lost so there would be less water when everything cooled down and the water became liquid again.

Quote:
- Where would the world be livable first? Would the earth's temperature be too high at the equator, or too low nearer to the poles?

The areas around the equator would get warmer first after the aerosol dust has settled. A lot of the variation in temperature between equator and poles is due to the angles and distances in the Earth/Sun system, unless the Earth's orbit has changed appreciably in the impact the same sort of variations would develop after the disaster.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Possible future scenario: Earth shrouded in dust.  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 am
Original Member
Original Member

There's also the possibility of returning to "snowball Earth". That's self-perpetuating when (white) ice coverage reflects enough sunlight.