FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:37 am

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson is currently being mocked for asking "What is Aleppo?" when asked how he would address the refugee crisis in the War torn Syrian city. First off, I don't like Johnson so I'm not here to defend him, however, I'm not here to mock him for it. What I find concerning is that by focusing on his lack of knowledge of what Aleppo is, there are disturbing aspects of his views on ISIS and Syria that are being overshadowed.

He suggested that the Free Syrian Army is working with Islamists in Syria, and he recommends that we join with Russia, which has been bombing innocent Syrian citizens, to prop up the Assad regime (who are also bombing innocent Syrians) which in the end just lends legitimacy to ISIS. And of course all of this is being ignored because he didn't know what Aleppo is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/us/politics/gary-johnson-aleppo.html?_r=0

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:15 pm

Heyy! You scooped my thread *pouts*

I just posted about this in 'Electoral Peeves' thread

Edit: you said something substantive in your post, I didn't in mine, I forgive you :P

But, come on, he hasn't heard of Aleppo - he wants to be president!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I started this thread simply because I figured we could discuss it more, and that thread is dedicated to being non-candidate specific. Your post inspired this thread.

Yes it disturbs me that a Presidential candidate who has considerable support is so ignorant. He also didn't know who Harriet Tubman was. Some have speculated that these flubs are intentional to draw attention away from more important aspects of his beliefs/platform or that they're intentional to get his name out there more and get more attention.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:20 pm

As strategies go, it's probably political suicide.

Seriously, he sounds like he just graduated kindergarten.

(Not meant in offence to preschoolers, but they do lack the knowledge base expected of a presidential candidate).

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I agree.

Then you have Jill Stein, who "isn't anti-vaxx," she in facts vaccines are good, she just worries that our vaccines may have harmful ingredients because she doesn't trust the people who approve them because they're "big pharma shills." Those aren't actually quotes, they're air-quotes. Not to mention the whole we should explore alternative medicine for potential benefits and keep an open mind BS. :roll:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:52 pm

So many choices of candidate... aren't you lucky :P

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What is Aleppo?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:42 am

"I want to get the government out of the bedroom... stop the military interventions"

(Erm, what exactly goes on in his bedroom?)