FAQ
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:45 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:47 am

Absolutely detest this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-37297449

Just another example of mainstream media making gargoyles out of students. Except, this one is worse, because it addresses students directly in an authoritarian-conversational manner; telling them who they are, who they are allowed to be, and setting the tone for students to passively accept the negative characterisation.

Assumptions about students as made in the article:

*students are incapable of genuine self-reinvention
*students are pretentious and superficial
*students are desperate for social approval
*students are fake
*students will only be able to find unpleasant work
*students consciously manipulate their parents to acquire money
*students are immoral and selfish
*students are lazy
*students are not capable of having significant emotions
*students are fickle, uncaring, unloyal and two-faced
*students are not likely to be liked very much by anybody
*students are not capable of managing their own finances

Ironically, at the end, the article mentions counselling. Yes, I'm not surprised if students need counselling after reading your bitter opinion piece.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:11 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5pO06BdSk

;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:18 pm

"A telescope with a mouse in it!" :lol:

How have I never seen that before?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You look at how this article portrays students, and all I see is that this is just another article that slants young people in general in a negative light. Anymore there is a trend of portraying millennials (or generation Z depending on the study) in a negative light.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:25 pm

I know, the working age demographic always thinks it is the best.

Ageism in terms of discriminating against older people has reduced somewhat but the mainstream media culture is to treat young people (especially adolescents and young adults) as if they are subhuman.

Just look at the word: childish. It is used as an insult. Well, it's only insulting to children. They may have many lessons to learn, due to inexperience, but that doesn't mean to say that they are inherently morally inferior. Many children are more sensitive, caring, kind and responsible than the average adult.

New insult: adultish.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Ageism towards younger people has definitely seemed to increase in the last fifteen years or so. It used to be that a successful younger adult (late teens to thirtyish) were looked at with respect by older people, now they generally get resented.

When I was promoted to my current position at the museum, I was 23, shortly after I had a 40ish woman ask who was in charge, assuming I was just a volunteer or lower staff. I told her that I was in fact the Operations Manager, and in charge while the Director was out. She then scoffed that I was way too young to be a manager. I assumed she just lowballed my age because I'm incredibly baby faced (I'm 26 and can pass for a 17 year old), so I informed her of my age, to which she told me I was still too young. I've encountered this attitude many times over the years since then, although I do get respect and praise as well.

Anyways anecdotes aside, there is definitely a lot of "Young people are entitled/lazy/subhuman," sentiment out in the mainstream media. Or there's this attitude of "Oh look at those precious little idiots, they think they're so special."

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:11 pm

Cool, I'm 27 :)

Mm... I think the fact that younger people are now vastly outnumbered has led to their being disadvantaged politically, so they no longer have a voice, and the older generations have decided it's acceptable to denigrate and deprive younger generations. I also think it may correlate with older people's jealousy and the fact that the consensus regarding which age range is young is continually being shifted further and further into the future.

Age thirty used to be considered middle age and now it's considered young-ish. (I don't consider it young, I wish I could stay in my 20s).

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I knew you were within a couple years of me. Some reason I thought 28.

I think there is a factor of jealousy involved for sure because in many ways we have had a lot more conveniences than they had. However, I do feel there are a lot of other factors playing on this like the cultural shift we've had in the last twenty years. They grew up in a time when being LGBTQ was seen as a negative (at least in large areas of the US), while we younger generations have for the most part grown up to be more accepting of LGBTQ people. So they look down on us for fraternizing with them, or whatever.

TLDR: Older generations grew up in different times with different values, so they trivialize what we younger generations believe and value.

Thirty is plenty young, especially with the medical advancements that we make yearly that make it increasingly more likely that you and I will live to far greater ages than our parents.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:37 pm

It's not that young :( I already have crows feet when I laugh

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yeah I don't laugh enough to have those. And sure it's fairly young. I mean if you end up living nearly 90 years, then you and I haven't even lived one third of our lives yet. Not to mention that scientifically we're advancing at an exponential rate, so it is quite likely that our generation will exceed 100 years.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Well, yes, but how much of that lifespan is going to be life?

Also, the female reproductive clock hasn't kept pace with longevity.

So, when we say we live longer, we really just experience old age for longer.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:02 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Older generations grew up in different times with different values, so they trivialize what we younger generations believe and value.

Part of it, too, is that younger people remind us of how confident we were at younger ages, yet after ten more years pass we realize just how ridiculous and dumb we were back then ourselves.

It's like unconsciously thinking, "oh young padawan... Just you wait...you have no idea how much you just don't know.

I bet you do similar things when looking at groups of teenagers...same response, just phase shifted by a decade.

https://www.ted.com/talks/dan_gilbert_y ... anguage=en
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot ... n-10-years

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:29 am

Well, I think University students are overly optimistic and mostly naive - but it isn't their fault, they lack experience and they've been sold the idea that University level study is a panacea for social mobility and an automatic ticket to meaningful, well-paid work.

But I wouldn't call them out on it; I wouldn't write an opinion piece directed at them implying that they're stupid and immoral.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Rory wrote:
Well, yes, but how much of that lifespan is going to be life?

Also, the female reproductive clock hasn't kept pace with longevity.

So, when we say we live longer, we really just experience old age for longer.

Actually the amount of time we're in poor, lets even say aged health, is less than it used to be. We are not only living longer, but our quality of life is MUCH better for longer than any time in the past. I see it everyday as an EMT but there's a broader article about it:

http://healthland.time.com/2013/07/29/w ... healthier/

---

Our young people are also better educated, more worldly, and less troublesome than prior generations.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:59 am

I've read worse articles. But there is a condescending tone in almost anything written for young adults written by someone older. It's annoying. :x

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:02 am

LilSaber wrote:
I've read worse articles. But there is a condescending tone in almost anything written for young adults written by someone older. It's annoying. :x

do you have any examples ?

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:42 pm

marnixR wrote:
LilSaber wrote:

do you have any examples ?

Do you actually want examples?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Media portrayal: students  |  Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:04 pm

I wouldn't ask for examples if I didn't want them
the reason why I'm asking is that I have trouble figuring out what type of articles you're talking about

without examples I have trouble seeing what your proposition is based on

after all, condescension doesn't exist just because you claim it does : you need to show that there is a case to answer