FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:04 pm

The US, German and Czech governments have officially warned their citizens to "prepare for the worst", for a disaster.

Obama has quietly issued an Executive Order for a named individual to take over in the event that the Treasury Secretary dies, resigns or is otherwise unable to carry out his duties.

Is the President expecting the Treasury Secretary to die? Why?

The US and UK have been working on preparations for martial law. Why?

What do they know? What catastrophe are they expecting?

Global economic collapse? Nuclear WWIII with Russia? ISIS?

What is going on?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:52 pm

12 views but nobody has replied :roll:

I guess you all think I'm a nut

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Don't think you're a nut. Just didn't know what I could add to this topic. Personally I'm more worried about China's military expansion across the South China Sea than I am about Russia.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Looks like China and Russia might form an alliance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36917084

I wish our leaders would just tell us, explicitly, what the threat is

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:

Reminds me of these quotes from Men In Black:

Quote:
Edwards: Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Quote:
Kay: We do not discharge our weapons in view of the public!
Jay: Man, we ain't got time for this cover-up bullshit! I don't know whether or not you've forgotten, but there's an Arquillian Battle Cruiser that's about to...
Kay: There's always an Arquillian Battle Cruiser, or a Corillian Death Ray, or an intergalactic plague that is about to wipe out all life on this miserable little planet, and the only way these people can get on with their happy lives is that they DO NOT KNOW ABOUT IT!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:40 pm

Well, yes :D if you told people there is a probable/definite risk then the fabric of society would crumble. And we would die first as a result of that, than of the original threat.

But, let's say the government knows there is going to be a global economic collapse.

They could say something like, "citizens are advised that it is prudent to prepare for economic hardship, although the likelihood of that eventuality is not considered likely at present."

Then citizens would know to store food, water and meds and to worry less about terrorism or nuclear related threats. So they would not waste time and energy on sorting out unnecessary PPE or heavy duty defence weaponry.

Being 100% in the dark as to the nature of the threat causes me additional anxiety.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:23 am
Original Member
Original Member

moved to politics

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
They could say something like, "citizens are advised that it is prudent to prepare for economic hardship, although the likelihood of that eventuality is not considered likely at present."

Then citizens would know to store food, water and meds and to worry less about terrorism or nuclear related threats. So they would not waste time and energy on sorting out unnecessary PPE or heavy duty defence weaponry.

Maybe I'm just a cynical asshole, but you have a lot more faith in people than I do. From what I've seen, most people would ignore such a non threatening announcement. "Oh they said that it isn't very likely, we don't need to worry," But then if they had worded it more severely, it would cause a panic, and people would start stockpiling and causing gas shortages and things (I've seen that when people prepare for storms here). Or it's like anytime there is a mass shooting, we end up with shortages of bullets here because the talking heads on Fox start warning about how "they gunna get ur gunz!" or that "Obummer iz gunna take over using the military!" So the nutbags get paranoid, stock up on ammo and beef jerky and wait with bated breath for the stormtroopers to invade their trailer parks.

Quote:
Being 100% in the dark as to the nature of the threat causes me additional anxiety.

I agree that uncertainty is nerve wracking and no fun. However, this is like we could be wiped out by a meteor any given day and yet in order to function and live we ignore it and go about our daily lives. There are more threats to your life every day than you will ever know, and ignoring those unknown threats is the only thing that allows any peace of mind. Religious types always rely on the serenity prayer in these sorts of things "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference."

I myself being an atheist take the God granting part out and just remind myself that there's no point stressing over the things I cannot change, and that it is far more productive to put my efforts towards the things that I can change/control.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: What are we supposed to be preparing for?  |  Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Looks like China and Russia might form an alliance

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36917084

And it looks like India is helping Vietnam bolster it's defense in response to China's advancments. http://kaumudiglobal.com/innerpage1.php?newsid=82250

Quote:
India today extended a USD 500 million line of credit to Vietnam to deepen their defence cooperation and signed 12 agreements including a deal to construct offshore patrol boats, amid China's muscle flexing in the disputed South China Sea and "emerging regional challenges".
China is involved in a raging dispute with the Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia and Brunei over ownership of territory in the South China Sea (SCS), a busy waterway through which India's 50 per cent trade passes.

China has also objected in the past to India's Oil and Natural Gas Commission (ONGC) undertaking exploration at the invitation of Vietnam in the SCS, which is believed to be rich in undersea deposits of oil and gas.

India and the US have been calling for freedom of passage in the international waters, much to the discomfort to Beijing, whose claim over SCS was recently struck down by an international tribunal in favour of the Philippines.