FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:46 pm

The everyday habits of each of us as consumers and producers determines the health of our environment. Lots of things frustrate me on a daily basis, in relation to this.

(i) Since I don't drive, I sometimes look across to drivers, and wonder why I bother.
(ii) The 5p plastic bag charge hits non-drivers the hardest. I don't tend to re-use carrier bags because (a) it's inconvenient to carry around a bag that takes up 50% of the space in your handbag (b) it's not hygienic. I need a carrier bag that can carry food items without harbouring pathogens.
(iii) Absolute scarcity of recycling bins once you travel beyond the city perimeter. This means that if you work/study/engage in business or leisure for any length of time away from home, and choose to eat 'on the go', you're going to have to carry multiple plastic bottles around in your bag all day (then shove them into recycling at home). Except - it's not very professional to turn up to a business meeting and have to fish through 5 plastic bottles just to find your notebook. For this reason, I tend to throw plastic bottles into non-recyclable waste if I am far from home. This really annoys me because I would like to be able to recycle in a way that is convenient and fits into the flow of my day - not designing my day around the availability of resources for recycling.

Really, what is the point? All we have is token gesture policies set into the context of rampant consumerist short-termism.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:15 am

And now Theresa May is attemptng to bribe local residents into accepting fracking with £10, 000 per household that is directly affected. This despite the fact that fracking has been associated with minor earthquakes and toxic water.

The government ought to be ploughing money into renewable energy sources, but no. At least local residents will be able to pay for their own funeral.

The North West locals and councils have already rejected fracking many times over - this is the latest effort by national government to trample all over innocent people.

Well if they try to bring it to my area I'm going to f$ck their drills up good and proper. Let's see how profitable they are when their equipment mysteriously fails.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:07 pm

Rory wrote:
(ii) The 5p plastic bag charge hits non-drivers the hardest. I don't tend to re-use carrier bags because (a) it's inconvenient to carry around a bag that takes up 50% of the space in your handbag (b) it's not hygienic. I need a carrier bag that can carry food items without harbouring pathogens.

surely that doesn't have anything to do with driving, but more with your decision not to reuse bags ?
since we've had the bag charge for several years now in Wales, i don't regret the reduction in bags littering the place

i have been using either trade-in plastic bags or other long-lasting bags to carry food stuffs in, and i'm still waiting for my first case of food poisoning that might arise from this habit

reusing bags makes perfect sense, i can't really see what issues you have with them

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

At least where you live recycling is a viable option. Where I live, in rural Eastern Washington, recycling is virtually non-existent. You literally have to drive 50 miles to reach the nearest recycling center. None of the local trash collection companies offer recycling beyond cardboard recycling. I live in one of the more liberal states even, red states like Idaho or Montana are far worse.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:04 pm

The 5p bag charge was introduced at a time of historically low petrol prices. I think the priorities are back-to-front.

So people who genuinely need to use plastic carrier bags to carry their groceries long distances on foot have to pay for their right to do so; those who can simply load their groceries straight into the car boot are able to pay far less to fuel that journey (and add more CO2 to the atmosphere). It doesn't add up as an environmental policy.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:14 pm

but why not use reusable bags ? either the lifelong bags that you can exchange for no extra charge when they wear out, or more sturdy bags such as hessian ones, which take a very long before they need to be replaced

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:20 pm

Hessian ones seem to become dirty quite easily. At the moment I store plastic carrier bags under my kitchen sink, which isn't very clean. It's like, no matter how much you clean it, it's still dirty. Suppose I could store them elsewhere... but how do you know microbes aren't having a party on your bag? :D

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:02 pm

i have a bag of bags, i.e. one shopping bag hanging from a door handle, and then i squeeze the other shopping bags in them - the inside of the downstairs toilet is a good place, then it hardly ever gets in the way (we're not using the downstairs toilet as a toilet, more as a storage room)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:38 pm

Inside of the toilet! :o :lol:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:17 pm

I said "storage room", not "throne room" !

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:51 pm

:D Something tells me the owner of this toilet has delusions of grandeur

Or, as Wretch32 would put it, that his "ish don't stink"

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:53 pm

I was just thinking about what the indentation below the seat might be for... what it might hold... now I have that image in my mind

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 am
Original Member
Original Member

A grocery bag is no less deceptive than the flimflam articles employed by stage magicians. It's large and showy - but next time at a checkout just take one carton of typically 500 bags and put it on the scale: I get ~2.5 kg per 500. So what if I'm wasting all that plastic at a greedy rate of one bag per day? Hold this in perspective with all the other plastic trashed over a year: the broken garden hose, those cheap lawn chairs, tools and appliances, the plastic in a car... how many kilograms I can't begin to fathom.

One may view plastic waste with the grocery bag as basic "coin". Then if any year you throw out a plastic toilet seat, that single instance of waste costs a year of saving the environment through bag reduction. And if you wanna replace your kitchen flooring with vinyl tile... that'll cost a lifetime of plastic bags. How many lifetimes does one waste in a decade?

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Pong wrote:
A grocery bag is no less deceptive than the flimflam articles employed by stage magicians. It's large and showy - but next time at a checkout just take one carton of typically 500 bags and put it on the scale: I get ~2.5 kg per 500. So what if I'm wasting all that plastic at a greedy rate of one bag per day? Hold this in perspective with all the other plastic trashed over a year: the broken garden hose, those cheap lawn chairs, tools and appliances, the plastic in a car... how many kilograms I can't begin to fathom.

One may view plastic waste with the grocery bag as basic "coin". Then if any year you throw out a plastic toilet seat, that single instance of waste costs a year of saving the environment through bag reduction. And if you wanna replace your kitchen flooring with vinyl tile... that'll cost a lifetime of plastic bags. How many lifetimes does one waste in a decade?

I agree. It's an example of "feel good" measures that have no meaningful or significant impact on larger problem. A lot of inconvenience for almost no impact works against real meaningful change.

Thurston county, the capital of WA state, made recyclable bags or pay required a couple years ago-- it made no noticeable difference on road side trash, but the culture of the western counties isn't to trash anyhow.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:58 pm

plus, don't forget that supermarkets would be rather eager to adopt this "paying for plastic bags" : they don't have to carry the cost of supplying them to their customers for free

on the other hand, living in Wales, where you had to pay for your bags for several years now, I can't really say that using reusable bags is all that onerous

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:55 pm

One irony I have noticed: since I now try to cram everything into my handbag in order to avoid paying for a new plastic bag, that often means discarding an empty plastic bottle I was carrying in the general waste bin (due to lack of local recycling bins). So, whereas before the charge was introduced I may have used one more plastic bag than was strictly necessary, I now throw away a whole plastic bottle that I would (pre-charge) otherwise have carried home in my handbag for recycling.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:56 pm

Rory wrote:
One irony I have noticed: since I now try to cram everything into my handbag in order to avoid paying for a new plastic bag, that often means discarding an empty plastic bottle I was carrying in the general waste bin (due to lack of local recycling bins). So, whereas before the charge was introduced I may have used one more plastic bag than was strictly necessary, I now throw away a whole plastic bottle that I would (pre-charge) otherwise have carried home in my handbag for recycling.

Because it's far too difficult to carry a couple of scrunched up plastic bags in your handbag (you're female?) isn't it?

(I'm not even going to go into the poseur-ship of carting a bottle of water around...)

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:02 am

marnixR wrote:
plus, don't forget that supermarkets would be rather eager to adopt this "paying for plastic bags" : they don't have to carry the cost of supplying them to their customers for frees

Most of the large stores are actually against them, for the same reason many who originally supported them are not--they slow down check out isles in a big way.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:58 am

Rory wrote:

A female friend of mine, like yourself, does not drive. She gets around the problem of carting shopping by wearing trainers and carrying a rucksack.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Lynx_Fox wrote:
marnixR wrote:
plus, don't forget that supermarkets would be rather eager to adopt this "paying for plastic bags" : they don't have to carry the cost of supplying them to their customers for frees

Most of the large stores are actually against them, for the same reason many who originally supported them are not--they slow down check out isles in a big way.

you could be right - mind you, I do prefer it that I'm given time to pack my bags properly, rather than be rushed by an over eager till operator
I can't say I'm overly impressed by till operators who seem intent on showing how many items they can scan per second - if that happens, I deliberately slow down my packing, and let them wait until I'm ready to complete my part of the transaction

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:28 pm

marnix is a tough customer :P I can just picture you now, fillibustering at the till

The cashier asks, "Can you go any slower?"

To which you reply, "Babe, I'm a God of Geology, I can go as slow as you like" :D

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:36 am

marnixR wrote:
you could be right - mind you, I do prefer it that I'm given time to pack my bags properly, rather than be rushed by an over eager till operator
I can't say I'm overly impressed by till operators who seem intent on showing how many items they can scan per second - if that happens, I deliberately slow down my packing, and let them wait until I'm ready to complete my part of the transaction

That's interesting, where I am in the states the customer almost never pack their own stuff...and the checkout folks are actually graded on how much retail they can push through in a shift. Sometimes we bring cloth bags, more often we forget and the check out folks are happier for it--whether we paid (next county over) or they were provided for free.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 am

Lynx_Fox wrote:
That's interesting, where I am in the states the customer almost never pack their own stuff...and the checkout folks are actually graded on how much retail they can push through in a shift. Sometimes we bring cloth bags, more often we forget and the check out folks are happier for it--whether we paid (next county over) or they were provided for free.

must be a different system in the US - my experience in the UK is that the till operator scans the items and the customer packs the bags
unless you go to one of the self-service tills, in which case you do everything yourself (but then the annoyance can be the irritating voice saying "unexpected item in the badging area")

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:25 pm

In my experience Sainsbury`s checkout girls pack the stuff into whatever bags you have very carefully. There is no rush, it may take a few minutes more to get through the tills, but if you are not shop lifting, who cares.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:05 am

true, I'd forgotten that prior to scanning your items the till operators ask whether you want help with packing your bags - that's probably because I always reply in the negative
mind you, the question appears mostly to be asked in the expectation that you'll say no

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:15 pm

I quite like the Morrisons self-checkout service. The lady tells you, "surprising item in the bagging area". I like learning about what surprises the lady :P

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
Lynx_Fox wrote:

must be a different system in the US - my experience in the UK is that the till operator scans the items and the customer packs the bags
unless you go to one of the self-service tills, in which case you do everything yourself (but then the annoyance can be the irritating voice saying "unexpected item in the badging area")

Definitely different than here in the US. Some larger stores have employees during rush times that do nothing but bag your groceries while the cashier rings your purchases up. Often times the baggers will even offer to help you unload your groceries into your car if you have a lot of groceries.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:59 am

I try to do as many things as I can, small things, to help the environment. Drink out of glass cups, don't use plastic, if I do use plastic, wash it and reuse it. Buy soaps that are natural, and I'd like to learn how to make my own bar soaps. Buy less boxed products, this isn't only good for the environment, but it's better for our health. Eating foods that are canned or boxed isn't healthy, overall. If I could bike to work I would, but it would be a bit difficult since it's mainly highway. :mrgreen:

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 pm

I do eat quite a few foods that are canned, mostly fruit, rice pudding and baked beans. I fail to see how canned foods are unhealthy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canning

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:44 pm

and besides tinplate used for food cans is eminently recyclable

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Everyday habits  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Every time I wash my hands, I tap the faucet to wet my hands then immediately tap it back off. With the water no longer running I get my soap, scrub away like some sort of doc prepping for surgery, then tap the faucet back on... at which point I get all the suds off in about 2-4 seconds so I can rapidly shut the water back off once more. I feel I'm doing my part as a good citizen to help out in a drought environment (and make-up a bit for my wife's occasional 20 minute showers :roll: ).

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan