FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:14 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:16 pm

France church attack: Priest killed by two 'IS soldiers'

if I could talk to these 2 killers, I'd say : do you really feel proud of killing an 84-year old man ?
never mind what religion he stands for, but how can you feel like a man killing the old and vulnerable who can't fight back ?

it's at times like this that I think that for some acts of depravity a particular nasty sort of death penalty should be reinstated

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

deplorable

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:30 am

I remember, iNow, you made a suggestion in a thread a long time ago about the potential use of homicidal and genocidal killers as a means of furthering our undrstanding of psychology and criminology. Would IS terrorists show reduced activity in the lower frontal lobes, associated with a blunted capacity for empathy - or, zero capacity for empathy? If not, what has happened to these people over the course of their lifetimes to damage their psychology to the extent that they wish to destroy humanity? It does not seem likely that it is a result of religious influence alone - maybe religious indoctrination operating in the context of a primed psyche?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I remember, iNow, you made a suggestion in a thread a long time ago about the potential use of homicidal and genocidal killers as a means of furthering our undrstanding of psychology and criminology. Would IS terrorists show reduced activity in the lower frontal lobes, associated with a blunted capacity for empathy - or, zero capacity for empathy? If not, what has happened to these people over the course of their lifetimes to damage their psychology to the extent that they wish to destroy humanity? It does not seem likely that it is a result of religious influence alone - maybe religious indoctrination operating in the context of a primed psyche?

I don't think they lack empathy. Surely they feel empathy for their fellow members. What they have done is just become highly influenced by tribalism and have dehumanized those that are not part of their "tribe". They do not see nonmembers as being human. It's the same with any sort of hate group. Look at the white supremacists, they view whole swathes of people as being subhuman and not worth living yet, are perfectly able to feel empathy for those that are white.

I think your last suggestion as to why is most accurate. The propaganda that they hear on a regular basis paints westerners as being evil and etc. Then one of our militaries bombs the wrong people or bombs some terrorists, but kills civilians in the process. This then confirms the propaganda to those that were on the fence about it and brings them to the cause. It says something that the most successful interrogation was done with sugar free cookies :http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1901491,00.html.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well, some of them are certainly sociopaths. Many are the result of repeated teachings and feelings of isolation, though. There are both genetic components and environmental ones, and not everyone has the coping skills needed to avoid those sick paths.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:13 pm

i would not look for physical brain characteristics when judging the act of dehumanising opponents

after all, it's what happened to the german people under nazism, and when Hitler's spell finally evaporated, so did the german people revert to becoming normal citizens who tried to make up for past mistakes - no physical intervention to their brains was needed

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:39 am

Many German citizens were simply too afraid to oppose the Nazis - rather than being active supporters of Nazism

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:52 pm

marnixR wrote:
France church attack: Priest killed by two 'IS soldiers'

if I could talk to these 2 killers, I'd say : do you really feel proud of killing an 84-year old man ?
never mind what religion he stands for, but how can you feel like a man killing the old and vulnerable who can't fight back ?

it's at times like this that I think that for some acts of depravity a particular nasty sort of death penalty should be reinstated

Since your OP, many more nasty deplorable things have happened all over Europe and Scandinavia. This train of events seems set to continue. I believe that you were an ex serviceman with the Belgium armed forces before you moved to GB, well done with that.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:21 pm

wireless wrote:
I believe that you were an ex serviceman with the Belgium armed forces before you moved to GB, well done with that.

don't give that fact too much importance - I didn't have too much choice in the matter, it's just one of life's crosses you have to carry (if only for the duration of 8 months)

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: killing a 84-year old  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:01 pm

OK, I did not realise that you were doing national service or something.