FAQ
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:24 pm

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:38 pm

There's an Indiegogo campaign to fund a self filling water bottle that uses solar power to power a peltier device to use condensation to fill a water bottle. Watching the videos from the makers, it seem a bit dubious to me. I don't think a solar panel of that size could power the device with enough energy to be useful. Is it just another indiegogo scam?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fontus-the-self-filling-water-bottles#/

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:58 pm

Ok...so they have a graph showing the peak efficiency of the device at various temperatures and humidity levels. It's most efficient at 40C (104f) and 90% humility. Is there any place on earth that has that conditions? That would be a heat index of 95c! (202f)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Macgyver1968 wrote:
There's an Indiegogo campaign to fund a self filling water bottle that uses solar power to power a peltier device to use condensation to fill a water bottle. Watching the videos from the makers, it seem a bit dubious to me. I don't think a solar panel of that size could power the device with enough energy to be useful. Is it just another indiegogo scam?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fontus-the-self-filling-water-bottles#/

Well it is listed in the James Dyson awards section (top 20 projects) for what that is worth.

http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/projects/page/21/
http://www.jamesdysonaward.org/projects ... age=top-20

I wouldn't be competent to give a view either way.

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:33 pm

unlike other indiegogo campaigners, I think the science is there. You can use solar power to extract water from the air...but I just think their claims are a bit extravagant.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sales and marketing teams say the glass is half full. Finance and accounting teams say the glass is half empty. Engineering and technical teams say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Guess which ones write crowd funding campaigns.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Sales and marketing teams say the glass is half full. Finance and accounting teams say the glass is half empty. Engineering and technical teams say the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Guess which ones write crowd funding campaigns.

Oh, oh I know *raises hand* the finance and accounting teams right! :lol:

Seriously though it's a shame that platforms like indiegogo are being filled with so many scams. It makes it harder for the actual legitimate projects to receive the funding they deserve.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is the Fontus self-filling water bottle a scam?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've seen lots of tech able to extract water from humid air. Cannot comment on the efficiency noted in the OP, but the overall process is proven.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan