FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:46 pm

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:32 pm

I only access this site via mobile device, so perhaps it's already in existence but Not viewable with my device. But, is there any way we could install an activity-ometer at the bottom of the forum akin to the one the .com site had? Perhaps users would find it motivating to see traffic increases corresponding with more user posts and posters.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Not sure to what you're referring. Maybe you can provide an example? I will say up front, however, that the software here is a bit limited in the types of bells and whistles we can use. Pretty much any addition we make requires a very manual hack and lots of upfront time trying to ensure we're not breaking stuff. :geek:

I primarily use the view new posts button here: search.php?search_id=newposts

There's also an active topics button here: search.php?search_id=active_topics

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:39 pm

iNow wrote:
Not sure to what you're referring. Maybe you can provide an example? I will say up front, however, that the software here is a bit limited in the types of bells and whistles we can use. Pretty much any addition we make requires a very manual hack and lots of upfront time trying to ensure we're not breaking stuff. :geek:

I primarily use the view new posts button here: search.php?search_id=newposts

There's also an active topics button here: search.php?search_id=active_topics

It's usually an information bar at the bottom of the screen that displays: # of users online, # of guests online, and the most users ever online. No idea as to what would be involved in creating such a feature, but it could be advantageous.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's on the bottom of the main page. It just must not display on the mobile site. You can also change the way that the forum looks to you in your settings. Maybe one of the other settings than your default displays better on mobile?

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
It's on the bottom of the main page. It just must not display on the mobile site. You can also change the way that the forum looks to you in your settings. Maybe one of the other settings than your default displays better on mobile?

I couldn't locate the settings for the display, but the last thing I want to do is groan about a lack of features on the mobile site. Glad it's up and working on the regular site.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's all good. Its handy to know what doesn't work on which platform. The section on the main page is called "Who is Online" There's also a section under that for statistics.

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:40 pm

Whoops! I found it. My browser memory was sending me directly to the "new post" page instead of the main forum page. On the main forum page the activity display is visible, (although the numbers make me wish it wasn't)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Activity Feed  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

shlunka wrote:
I couldn't locate the settings for the display...

Here ya go: ucp.php?i=165

And for those curious, stats and online user status are at bottom of page here: http://thescienceforum.org/

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan