FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:16 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: where to find storks  |  Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:16 am

just recently finished a holiday going through Sicily and southern Italy, and in the process passing through the north-eastern part of Spain

what surprised me was that whilst white storks are quite common in southern and central Spain, I never saw a single one in Sicily or southern Italy
I also did not see any storks along the Costa Brava, but did as soon as I reached Navarra

now I seem to remember from an ornithological atlas that the stork's migration takes it both over Italy and Spain from northern Africa, so why didn't I see any ? do they just pass through but not nest, or am I wrong about the migration pattern ?

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:11 pm

According to this article the presence of storks in Sicily is only a recent phenomenon (since 20 years ago): before that they hadn't been seen on the island for five centuries.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:11 pm

I've read up a bit on this, and it appears that stork's tend to prefer to minimise the distance over sea (maybe they only will start a crossing if they see land on the other side ?)
that's why the main migration routes go over the straits of Gibraltar and over the Suez-Israel-Turkey route

presumably it also depends on habit, which tends to favour routes previously travelled

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Have you checked the stoop outside the maternity wing at your local hospital?

Oh, wait... come to think of it, they probably are forced to approach from the delivery entrance. I'd check both. It's just the rational thing to do.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:54 pm

"Oh, excuse me. (gasp) This is on. Track and trace. (gasp) Please sign my wing."

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:00 pm

Rory wrote:

this is becoming an occupational hazard once the obesity epidemic starts hitting new-born babies

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 pm

I don't even like to think about the actual way babies arrive. Like something out of Alien.

"I'M HEEE-RREEE"

"AH! Send it back! Send it BACK!"

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:11 am

http://xkcd.com/674/

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:24 pm

PhDemon wrote:
http://xkcd.com/674/

I don't see no stork's ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Do we need to have the talk with you, marnix? :D

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

How do you have the talk with an ancient coelacanth? I'm pretty sure the whole birds and bees routine won't be understood. :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Explain it in terms of hot glassy eyes and sexy spots?

Or, as I was told as a kid, that a man and a woman who love each other very much go to a dance together.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm sure that as such an ancient fish ;) he already received some variation of the talk though. But he's probably forgotten.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:34 pm

looks like you guys have never heard of the flying storkfish who deliver fertilised spawn to all good coelacanths - or was that Father Fishmas ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: where to find storks  |  Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:53 pm

Please don't make us explain it by show and tell :P