FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:06 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Stolen from Wiki: déjà vu occurs as a result of hyperdopaminergic action in the mesial temporal areas of the brain.

That's a bit of a mouthful and beyond my understanding. I'm only bringing up the subject "again" (no pun intended) because recently I experienced one of the most powerful episodes of Deja vu that's ever occurred in my lifetime. It seemed to last for several seconds in a place I'd never before set foot in. When it was happening I could have have sworn it was a replay of an event previously encountered but I'm not yet crazy enough to accept that. However I can understand how not understanding what it is could lead to many unscientific explanations and perhaps possibly becoming part of some ancient lore, legend, belief or mythology.

Aside from the quote's scientific explanation, I was always under the impression that deja vu was a combination of delayed/unsynchronized signals to the brain. Although this is mentioned in the Wiki article I was left with the impression it was old school thinking. The article did include ways of inducing the 'all over again' effect and the use of test subjects. Hypnosis and drugs were suggested as being two popular methods of testing.

I am always hesitant about Wiki articles and because of that I tend to wonder about accuracy or if the most recent studies have been included. So if anyone knows of anything more up to date then please share it with us. Still, I hope the original quote can be explained in layman's terms if someone wishes to take a shot at it. It's one of the more interesting phenomena our minds can experience.

It has been many, many years since I've had the feeling. I'm more apt to go through 'jamais vu' than 'deja vu'. I have a propensity for forgetting names, words, etc. even though I should know the situation facing me.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is much more common when smoking pot. Happens even absent that, though. Seems related to a misfiring or a mismapping of brain signals.

Recall that brain activity is just a cascading symphony of electric signals across a diverse network. Multiple rocks that have been dropped in a pond causing ripples to spread outward and interact with each other. Some networks in this electrical grid are dense and others sparse, some well used and others only rarely activated.

Deja vu seems to be a bit of a hiccup between our present awareness and our memory, as if the current experience actually happened long ago. It's as if the present experience is mislabeled as "already happened" instead of "is happening now." It's likely something about where the electrical impulse landed or which neural networks it crossed.

The feeling of deja vu is likely our conscious mind just trying to make sense of this processing blip (which is again more common when under the influence of marijuana which affects both the temporal lobe and memory areas of our brain).

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

I know the feeling of déjà vu. Rarely when awake, but I get it plenty often while dreaming. I know this because I have a bad habit of retaining an annoying "movie critic" while asleep. I sense I've "been there, done that" yet I can't recall dreaming it before. That sounds a bit loopy dreaming déjà vu and then riffling through past dreams, while still dreaming, to find it. But by iNow's explanation déjà vu should not require complete consciousness.

As for the subjective feeling of déjà vu, I don't know how others feel but I find it dreadful. Like sliding into a recursive loop. I imagine it akin to how epileptics feel as a seizure comes on... but that's unfounded speculation.

Google "recursion" and it asks "Did you mean: recursion" Very cute.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Pong wrote:
I know the feeling of déjà vu. Rarely when awake, but I get it plenty often while dreaming. I know this because I have a bad habit of retaining an annoying "movie critic" while asleep. I sense I've "been there, done that" yet I can't recall dreaming it before. That sounds a bit loopy dreaming déjà vu and then riffling through past dreams, while still dreaming, to find it. But by iNow's explanation déjà vu should not require complete consciousness.

I don't think there's a dream where I can't link it to some thing, or an event that happened to me during the day. Is it kind of a rehash of past events in some way? Perhaps deja vu is a quick dream while still awake...lol

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Pong wrote:

I don't think there's a dream where I can't link it to some thing, or an event that happened to me during the day. Is it kind of a rehash of past events in some way? Perhaps deja vu is a quick dream while still awake...lol

That the workings of the mind is not always apparent; 'I saw this before' can to the logical mind not be true. We dream we imagine.
I have a advantage; That while schooled by group of Monks in China a awareness of what your mind can conjure up. Was bestowed upon me..
So you imagine the scene unfolding before you was predicted. No. It's just that your mind has triggered a memory of a imagined moment..
Yes we remember more of what we never recall.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Reruns of a Past Event  |  Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

You were schooled by monks in China? Holy crap that is cool.

@Zinjanthropos. Of course it's great to soberly link all your dream content with waking reality, and I applaud that.

However in my case at least some dream content is recycled between dreams. For example if my dream wants a shopping mall, I have an archetypal floorplan built up from previous dreams: all the escalators, fountains, shops and such arbitrarily laid out. So my dreaming needn't stumble over where to place the elevators or washrooms. The specific floorplan is an arbitrary composite of malls I've known or imagined or dreamed before; it's unique and consistent and usually irrelevant to the "plot" of my dream... that say, the escalator up is to my left and not my right. I'm sure you see how I'd get the feeling while dreaming in such stock settings that "I've been here before."

That isn't true déjà vu. It's similar in that I'll sometimes pause the dream to say, "Wait. I know this place..." and then that semiconscious part of me is scouring through memory, including memory of past dreams, to place it. Meanwhile another part of me just wants to get on with the dream action of chasing the lion or some-such Jungian plot. These interruptions are most annoying when I was... having a good time... if you know what I mean. ;)