FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Lift weight limits ?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:44 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

A serious question; How many lifts into orbit are required to enable a craft and gear for a Mars and return mission ?

The staging and lift to orbit being only the first part of many issues for a mission to Mars program. I want for more knowledge.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Lift weight limits ?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry for this diversion, Astromark.

It occurred to me we might have some old Russian cans up there, may be re-purposed to assist a Mars mission. The Soviets lifted dozens of space stations in their heyday.

Carry on. :)

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Lift weight limits ?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:15 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

:lol: and Yes it would be a Red herring.. :oops: ..
I am not sure such as you mention could be used.. refurbishing in orbit would be a task too far..
The inflatable might be a component..

~ What I ask for is information; The proposed manned missions to Mars will require a habitat for the duration.. Some 26 months..
That many tonnes ( tons ) of equipment would be required and the fuel to return to Earth.. Ascent and descent vehicles.
We would need to take everything we need.. How much can we lift per launch ? How many and at what cost, and for why..
What is it we hope to gain.. A rethink is required. Build machines to do it all. Billions of Dollars to be spent is un necessary.
What can we lift per launch ? The problems for a manned mission are almost too lofty to do.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Lift weight limits ?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:43 am

well we'll probably go with some concept similar to what Zubrin's been pushing for a couple decades now, where there's a lot of fuel savings from the return trip by making much of the fuel on the surface long before people even land on Planet.