FAQ
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:43 am

Pong
Post  Post subject: few newbie questions & observations  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 am
Original Member
Original Member

Guest view swaps links and random words for ads. That is totally understandable, except on the Register page where users should be able to find and click "Privacy Policy" etc. without hassle. A few other key pages like "Who We Are" ought to be clear of ads. I'm guessing there is no way to reserve a few pages from ads though.

Encouraged to read the Charter, but where is it? Search got me this link: http://thescienceforum.org/topic2.html that doesn't work.

Multiple choice between joining Original Members group or Charter Members group in User Control Panel. Is there a practical difference?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: few newbie questions & observations  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 12:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Pong wrote:
Guest view swaps links and random words for ads. That is totally understandable, except on the Register page where users should be able to find and click "Privacy Policy" etc. without hassle. A few other key pages like "Who We Are" ought to be clear of ads. I'm guessing there is no way to reserve a few pages from ads though.

Unfortunately, correct as of today, yes.

Pong wrote:
Encouraged to read the Charter, but where is it? Search got me this link: http://thescienceforum.org/topic2.html that doesn't work.

Believe it's likely referring to this (which is also pinned at the top of the Introductions subforum): topic3.html

Pong wrote:
Multiple choice between joining Original Members group or Charter Members group in User Control Panel. Is there a practical difference?

Not really, no, but the first (Original Members) was intended as a way to recognize and thank all those who came with us and joined the community when we originally created it in 2011. It is available by invitation only, and (given that it's now five years later) it's effectively unavailable to new members.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: few newbie questions & observations  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 7:46 pm

I've added you to the list of Original Members, since you're clearly amongst that lot
hope you're OK with that

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: few newbie questions & observations  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 2:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

MarnixR, if Original Member means thescienceforum.com member pre 2011then yes, thanks. I started there in 2008, and I know the community. Glad you're OK with that.

Inow, topic3.html contains "If you're a returning original member, check out our Charter." So where is this Charter? I supposed it spells out guiding principles. Or I could be misguided if you wish. :D

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: few newbie questions & observations  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:33 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well, hell. I have no idea, then. I may need to revisit this question later with fresh eyes.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan