FAQ
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:05 am

Kagenlim
Post  Post subject: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:06 pm

I decided to bring this well received thread over to here to see what is this forum's reaction.In fact,I will use the same intro:

Trump or not?we are well aware of trump's future foreign policy and that is the prescution of Mexicans and Muslims in the USA for nothing.This affects ties with Asian allies.So what do you think

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think it's sad that such an obviously unqualified verbal bomb throwing childish demagogue is so extremely popular among one side of our political spectrum and feel that racism has paradoxically increased since electing our first ever black president.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:24 pm

iNow wrote:
I think it's sad that such an obviously unqualified verbal bomb throwing childish demagogue is so extremely popular among one side of our political spectrum and feel that racism has paradoxically increased since electing our first ever black president.

It makes you wonder who they would be supporting if Trump wasn't available.

I feel ,as an outsider that the US is in danger of losing its name as a force for good in the world on balance.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Before this, our european and asian colleagues could only assume that america was an ignorant bigoted nation, but now they unfortunately have proof

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Kagenlim wrote:
So what do you think

I think it's fine. If an elected representative of a country wants to alienate it's neighbours abroad and within its borders - I say bring it on. It isn't like the rest of the world can't live without a singular continent. And besides, contingencies are already in place to handle any civil war that might arise should he be elected.

plusminusgravity
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:09 pm

Do you think before this question could be answered correctly
it would need a solution on the side of the answer provider?

If you go to answer a question based off of shallow understanding,
it's merely just wish-wash being slopped on paper...right?

I can't answer this question in any real valuable way.

All I do know is that we need someone with a backbone,
financial guts, and wisdom to negotiate properly.

Someone who...can help us gain control of our loose ends.

A person that even in all the "gestures and say I'm going to's"
actually commits to making a real impact.

I don't see much of that in any other candidate besides Trump.

I mean my question is who of the other candidates we have to choose
from...actually has enough of what we really need?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

plusminusgravity wrote:
Do you think before this question could be answered correctly
it would need a solution on the side of the answer provider?

If you go to answer a question based off of shallow understanding,
it's merely just wish-wash being slopped on paper...right?

All I do know is that we need someone with a backbone,
financial guts, and wisdom to negotiate properly.

Someone who...can help us gain control of our loose ends.

A person that even in all the "gestures and say I'm going to's"
actually commits to making a real impact.

I don't see much of that in any other candidate besides Trump.

I mean my question is who of the other candidates we have to choose
from...actually has enough of what we really need?

Trump hasnt shown any ability to do that though. Hes bankrupted his own businesses on 4 separate occasions. He shows no international understanding with his continued assertion that he would somehow force a sovereign nation to pay for an internal building project that the other nation doesnt give a crap about.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:40 pm

plusminusgravity wrote:

That is true. :mrgreen:

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Snafuperman wrote:
plusminusgravity wrote:

That is true. :mrgreen:

Trump has the delegates to take the Republican nomination. This still has to be ratified by the party. Hillary in trouble over using private email. I suppose I don't blame her wanting a degree of privacy.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:50 am

Robittybob1 wrote:
Trump has the delegates to take the Republican nomination. This still has to be ratified by the party. Hillary in trouble over using private email. I suppose I don't blame her wanting a degree of privacy.

No one would, though it would have been just as easy as having a staffer hold another smartphone/blackberry for private conversation as many government officials do.

Ironically a big part of why she's disliked is she seems to have no private life or interest at all. Most likely politicians have some interesting personal interest whether it's Reagan's horseback riding, Obama's basketball, Bush Baby's baseball etc. A rather good real politics linked article last week commented that she's a quintessential workaholic bureaucrat which is in stark contrast with millennial culture of sharing via the multitudes of social media.

I'm sure Trump has many private interest as well--but they probably change from day to day depending on what crowd he's trying to sell his snake oil to.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:00 am
Original Member
Original Member

Lynx_Fox wrote:
Ironically a big part of why she's disliked is she seems to have no private life or interest at all. Most likely politicians have some interesting personal interest whether it's Reagan's horseback riding, Obama's basketball, Bush Baby's baseball etc. A rather good real politics linked article last week commented that she's a quintessential workaholic bureaucrat which is in stark contrast with millennial culture of sharing via the multitudes of social media.

She's a policy wonk with trouble appealing to big crowds, but apparently quite warm in more intimate settings and one on one interactions.

She sucks at elections and glad handing and coming across authentically since she's always micro calculating and calibrating every word and phrase for minimized risk after years of being attacked, but is seemingly great at legislative and negotiating process and is consistently better prepared and more informed than anyone else in the room.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:07 am

iNow wrote:
She's a policy wonk with trouble appealing to big crowds, but apparently quite warm in more intimate settings and one on one interactions.

She sucks at elections and glad handing and coming across authentically since she's always micro calculating and calibrating every word and phrase for minimized risk after years of being attacked, but is seemingly great at legislative and negotiating process and is consistently better prepared and more informed than anyone else in the room.

I genuinely hope you're right because, of course, I don't see that side of her. By default, I want her to win . . . and win BIG.

Last edited by Snafuperman on Fri May 27, 2016 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

Several posts have been deleted for being off-topic and rather stupid

Kagenlim
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Yeah,sure iNow.But seriously,you guys can do it here?I can't even delete my own posts on the .com site !Even the mod can't do that for me!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

Trump v Hillary. It's basically official (barring unprecedented convention shenanigans).

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

Some advantages, if Trump:

Simplifies foreign relations. Leaders of the world may drop all diplomatic pretense.

Sets up easy victory one term later for America's' first poor Hispanic female president.

Economic collapse provides urgent justification to unilaterally seize money from foreigners.

Riots are exciting. Americans will live in Interesting Times.

Produce a long-needed three party system.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Trump v Hillary. It's basically official (barring unprecedented convention shenanigans).

We've known this was likely to happen for almost a month now. I plan on voting Hillary since I don't want Planet of The Apes to become a reality. Also because she is far more qualified for the job than Drumpf ever will be. My main focus now is getting people to think of the Senate and House elections and get seats from the Republicans.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:53 am
Original Member
Original Member

Donald's poll numbers are crashing hard and they're crashing fast. Wonder if the powers that be will use this as an opportunity to put someone other than Donald on the ticket at the GOP convention.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Donald's poll numbers are crashing hard and they're crashing fast. Wonder if the powers that be will use this as an opportunity to put someone other than Donald on the ticket at the GOP convention.

With his numbers coming down, I really hope that they don't replace him simply so it makes a Democratic win more probable.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

What an amazing election. So few want Donald to be president yet so many want him to remain on the GOP ticket thinking he'll be easier to beat.

It's not quite Faustian, but does have tingles of a catch-22.

This was recently shared with me and bears on my previous post:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... ar-AAhe50u
Quote:
Dozens of Republican convention delegates are hatching a new plan to block Donald Trump at this summer’s party meetings, in what has become the most organized effort so far to stop the businessman from becoming the GOP nominee.
(snip)
e last thing I would do is tell anybody to do something that’s contrary to their conscience,” Ryan said in an interview with NBC’s “Meet the Press” airing on Sunday.

Ryan has endorsed Trump. But his use of the word “conscience” could prove helpful to delegates organizing the anti-Trump campaign because they are pushing to pass a “conscience clause” that would unbind delegates and allow them to vote for whomever they want.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:48 pm

iNow wrote:
What an amazing election. So few want Donald to be president yet so many want him to remain on the GOP ticket thinking he'll be easier to beat.

It's not quite Faustian, but does have tingles of a catch-22.

This was recently shared with me and bears on my previous post:

Is their game to force Trump into concessions? Do they have any cards to play with really?

Is Trump actually the (dystopian) future occasioned by the rise of social media that has cast society adrift from the institutions of the print media ?

Well maybe not the future but an unfortunate stepping stone towards it?

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:46 pm

I don't think they really have many options to prevent Trump from being the official nominee. What they do have is threatening to pull full support from their political state organizations, which would probably mean a loss, or denying him him in the future for whatever becomes his 100 day plan and beyond.

The big struggle is to a large degree embedded within the difference between the traditional party elite, and Trump's supporters. For example, many of the party leadership backed by the Tea Party has had a no new tax and low spending mantra, while Trump goes out and talks about repairing our crumbling infrastructure (one of the few things he's absolutely right about--something easy to see from anyone visiting other developed nations!). Trump supporters are more about bringing back some rose colored past and don't really care how we get there.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lynx_Fox wrote:
Trump supporters are more about bringing back some rose colored past and don't really care how we get there.

So long as it doesn't involve any actual plans or any meaningful revenue required to achieve those plans and so long as none of this is managed by our actual government.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:06 pm

iNow wrote:
Lynx_Fox wrote:
Trump supporters are more about bringing back some rose colored past and don't really care how we get there.

So long as it doesn't involve any actual plans or any meaningful revenue required to achieve those plans and so long as none of this is managed by our actual government.

Sure it does.

Block legal immigration of all but white Christian peoples.
Toss all the illegal brown people out--by force if necessary.
Routinely bomb brown peoples perceived to be even of the most remote threat.
Completely rework most international agreements.
Block about half the press corp from covering daily press and other official meetings.

Oh ya, we need more flags, old vet dudes behind him, and patriotic music--and more flags.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lol. Sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

^Turbo mode on the like button yo!

Drumpf is a bag of hammers faced assclown

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gotta second GE's post! All those descriptions fit that waste of good air and hairspray.

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:26 am

The mockery continues. Oddly, this one is particularly creative.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... cture-book

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

scoobydoo1 wrote:
The mockery continues. Oddly, this one is particularly creative.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/ ... cture-book

That's fabulous! I also love the mention toward the bottom of the article of the Marvel super-villain created based on him called MODAAK, or Mental Organism Designed as America’s King."

https://www.rt.com/viral/349380-marvel- ... mp-modaak/

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So Trump flew into DC to meet with Congressional Republicans today to calm them down a bit about his presidency, to assuage their fears. While doing so, he promised them he'd defend a nonexistent part of the Constitution. Oops.

https://t.co/g7Vqnp19rZ
Quote:
Rep. Mark Sanford (R-S.C.) left the meeting worried about Trump’s grasp on the basics of the Constitution. At a lunch with reporters afterward, he recalled that the candidate did not seem to know what he was promising to defend.

"I wasn’t particularly impressed," said Sanford. "It was the normal stream of consciousness that’s long on hyperbole and short on facts. At one point, somebody asked about Article I powers: What will you do to protect them? I think his response was, ‘I want to protect Article I, Article II, Article XII,’ going down the list. There is no Article XII."

'Merca

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Mike Pence of against gay marriage and cigarettes don't cause cancer fame has been selected as VP running mate for Trump.

Their logo is NSFW, and it's no coincidence that their initials make me thinyk of a need for some TP.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/tru ... 7123e115a0

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

Trump is tautological.

Terrify the masses.
Terrorism is rampant.
Treat neighbors with mistrust.
Torn down economy.
Taken jobs.
Truth is gone.
Trust no one.

Except...Me.

I build up your fear.
I convince you I'm the only one who can remove it.
I offer hollow hubris, empty euphemism, and nothing but platitudes to your pain.

Trump is tautological.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So I felt like since this site has some different users I would post my opinions of the two major third party candidates running in this election here as well. Maybe we can stimulate some more discussion here than what will inevitably turn into shitposting over on the other site.

Johnson is way too libertarian for my own tastes. I don't like his tax plan at all. And I dislike Stein's position on homeopathy, vaccinations, GMOs, drones, and SWAT teams to name a few. Overall I like Stein way more than Johnson or Trump, but I think she is pandering to too wide of a crowd and even if elected would be lucky to accomplish even a tenth of what is on her platform. Plus going by her attitude towards alternative medicine (she supports the quackery) she seems to be the type that would support "teaching the controversy" when it comes to evolution and creation.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

As with all candidates, there are elements of their position I agree with, and elements I find ridiculous.

Weighed against the items most important to me and coupled with their likelihood of actually winning... Or of having the capacity to actually get anything whatsoever done should that particular snowball survive its trepidatious and tenuous trip through hell and they actually manage by the grace of Odin's left testicle to win... I'm inclined to dismiss them as silly also-rans.

A distraction, not a difference maker.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Overall I think they're a distraction as well. I just worry that enough people may go to them that it could cause us to end up with a racist cheeto in the White House.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Similar to what happened with Ralph Nader in 2000 when Al Gore lost by like 4 votes and we instead got George W Bush, the Iraq War, financial meltdown, and unabated global warming.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

That's it in a nutshell. I fear the disenfranchised Bernie Bros that are determined to keep Hillary out of office will cause her to lose in either swing states or even a typical democrat state.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This situation highlights one of the most obvious problems with us not using instant runoff voting

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wish we were using instant runoff voting.

On a similar semi-related note, I really have a problem with political races where there is an incumbent running unopposed. This happens often here in rural Eastern Washington. A lot of times, it isn't even a case of the incumbent having a good public approval, it's that any possible opposition either can't raise the funds to announce or is self-doubting (obviously there are more possible reasons). It just feels wrong that they don't have to work as hard for their re-election.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I haven't thought deeply yet about the potential implications or risks of doing this, but here's one idea that may help address that:

Perhaps we could implement a system of conscription wherein a private citizen gets "drafted" to run in an election in situations where the incumbent is unopposed / does not have a voluntary competitor.

If this individual supports the incumbent and does not wish to run against them, we could allow that individual to defer/decline and then "draft" some other random private citizen to run as an opponent to the incumbent in their place.

Wonder what everyone thinks of that.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You don't by chance play the Fallout game series do you? Because that is shockingly similar to how the Overseer was elected in one of the Vaults lol.

Overall I think it isn't a bad idea, but I'm sure there are some ways I could see it going wrong and there are probably a myriad of ways that I could never foresee it could go wrong as well. I would be willing to try it though.

Another local pet peeve of mine are elected offices that are partisan and really shouldn't be, or alternately offices that are elected that should just be hired like a normal employee. I live in a very conservative county, so any democrat or third party running for any office whether it be prosecutor or treasurer runs at a disadvantage to the Republican candidate, even if the Republican has less actual qualifications. "Lets not elect the person with the actual business and accounting degrees, lets elect the high school graduate that has an R next to their name."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No good reason and no judgement, but not really a gamer. I know the brand Fallout but have never played.

Indeed, there are lots of problems with our current electoral setup (it's a rather long list).

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

If we had more participants in this discussion I would propose creating a thread dedicated to those problems. Like a electoral peeves list. All would have to be general and not concerning specific candidates but it would be interesting what other people in different areas found to be problematic that we don't see in our specific areas.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

That could be a fun thread, and may draw others out to participate. If you create it, I could pin it so it's featured prominently at the top of the Politics subforum.

Just a heads up that I'm traveling and will be hosting tens of customers at a conference next week so activity will be limited from me until after Labor Day.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:35 am
Original Member
Original Member

He took Ohio. He took Florida. He's about to win the election.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:26 am

so it looks like you've had your own usexit - the US exits from the world as we know it

goodbye Mexicans, hello wall
goodbye global warming agreement, hello coal
goodbye Obamacare, hello unaffordable health insurance
goodbye NATO, hello Putin

on the plus side, a US-UK trade agreement looks more likely than with Obama

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:05 am

Are Congratulations or Condolences in order here? :lol:

The following sentence that I was reminded not too long ago in a different thread still resonates for some reason.

"In a democracy people get the leaders they deserve"

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:54 am

Ok... someone explain me what happened. I can not believe he won. ...I'm shocked and I'm not even from US....

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: No Trump 2016- dot org site counterpart  |  Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:06 am

Trump was right - the elections WERE rigged :twisted: