FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars opposition  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:51 am

I had to laugh when I saw an internet news headline (think it was CNN) that stated something like "Don't forget! Mars is closest to Earth. Go out and see it without a telescope."

Mars is ALWAYS visible without a telescope, unless it's in conjunction on the far side of the Sun. It's brighter now, since it's at opposition, and this is a very favorable opposition. The ancients saw Mars (along with Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn) without a telescope.

I know people are going to go out tonight thinking that Mars will be as large as the full Moon.

(I'm an amateur astronomer -- have been for 47 years now.)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:33 am
Original Member
Original Member

Click bait culture. Framing the issue properly would result in lower awareness and ever fewer people going outside and looking up.

Thanks for the reminder, btw!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:42 am
Original Member
Original Member

Jupiter and Saturn came out to play tonight, too.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:55 am

iNow wrote:
Click bait culture.

Yeah, I know. I really despise being fooled by "teaser" news headlines. It's one of my pet peeves. The only news site I've found that doesn't do that is the NYT site -- but you have to pay monthly for full use -- and I won't do that. Some internet news sites are worse than others but they are all bad.

Sometimes I really hate the modern world. :lol:

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:59 am

A few nights ago the Moon was full so it rose in the east at the same time that Mars rose. They were side by side but not too close together. It was a dramatic demonstration of opposition since the full Moon is at "opposition" also, although we don't call it that.

Living here in the desert SW of the USA has its advantages. Star gazing is one.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Considering that most people on Earth live in cities now with heavy light pollution + aerosol haze it's actually not too much off the mark to infer Mars (as well as everything else) isn't visible at night.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Journalists really don't have a handle on Mars oppositio  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:08 am

I've lived in some pretty light-polluted areas -- not Manhattan of course -- and I've always been able to see 1st magnitude stars. And Mars is at least 1st magnitude for at least half the year.