FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:21 pm

Why does it take minutes for a new post to be successfully uploaded after submitting it? That is a particularly concerning aspect, for in the past if it takes too long things timeout and the post will be lost.
Is there a reason for this or is there something I can do to correct this?

[This post was accepted almost immediately, just to prove me wrong but the post prior took what seemed like more than a minute.]

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Robittybob1 wrote:
Why does it take minutes for a new post to be successfully uploaded after submitting it?

Minutes? Only takes seconds in my years of experience here.

Robittybob1 wrote:
That is a particularly concerning aspect, for in the past if it takes too long things timeout and the post will be lost.

Timeouts can be frustrating, I agree. If it makes you anxious, consider copying the content of your post before hitting the submit button. That's a simple process change that will eliminate this particular concern of yours (since that content can easily be pasted into a new post in case of failure).

Robittybob1 wrote:
Is there a reason for this or is there something I can do to correct this?

[This post was accepted almost immediately, just to prove me wrong but the post prior took what seemed like more than a minute.]

Well, given that it doesn't happen all the time, and you just acknowledged yourself that it just submitted immediately, I'm going to say no.

There are too many complexities here. This is how it works, and you'll need to be okay with that.

It depends on the site software, the server running it, the software on that server and what kind of hardware they use, your local internet connection, your own computers speed, and countless other factors that are (speaking from experience) nearly impossible to hunt down and resolve (tools like Fiddler help if you have access and ownership of every single connection point, but we won't be able to do anything about those findings here).

EDIT: I have experienced this past week or two some strange hourglassing where it appears the post wasn't submitted, but if I open a new tab and load the page fresh the post appears and I have confirmation that it worked even though my previous tab continues to hourglass. I'm not sure why this occurs, but it's too sporadic for me to worry too much right now.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:50 pm

I thought I'd let you know anyway. If I see it hanging I copy it while I'm waiting just in case it times out.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:01 pm

iNow wrote:
EDIT: I have experienced this past week or two some strange hourglassing where it appears the post wasn't submitted, but if I open a new tab and load the page fresh the post appears and I have confirmation that it worked even though my previous tab continues to hourglass. I'm not sure why this occurs, but it's too sporadic for me to worry too much right now.

I have noticed this a couple of times also this week. I make a post and it appears to hang indefinitely, but if I open a new tab/window I can access the site just fine and my post was successfully posted. I just view it as "one of those things" and move on.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This is probably what the OP was mentioning. In short, it DOESN'T take several minutes to load a post. The post is submitted and accepted by the server within seconds, it just keeps hourglassing intermittently for some reason on the browser despite successful submission. May have something to do with a delayed return signal from the server instructing the browser that the handshake was successful, but this isn't a space I knew terribly well and can only speculate.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:13 am

iNow wrote:
This is probably what the OP was mentioning. In short, it DOESN'T take several minutes to load a post. The post is submitted and accepted by the server within seconds, it just keeps hourglassing intermittently for some reason on the browser despite successful submission. May have something to do with a delayed return signal from the server instructing the browser that the handshake was successful, but this isn't a space I knew terribly well and can only speculate.

The site is working well today.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Time for site to accept a new post?  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:16 am

Robittybob1 wrote:
iNow wrote:

The site is working well today.

Like iNow said, your problem may have had nothing to do with this site. Could be any of the things that he mentioned . . . and more.