FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:20 am

wegs
Post  Post subject: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 am

Fascinating. Although I find it curious how they can be accurate with the method.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 144852.htm

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

I wonder if this is another case of a "just so" model where they ignore all if the failed assumptions. Cool work, though. Curious (if this is, in fact, valid) how else their model could be applied or what other benefits it might offer.

MODNOTE: Minor issue and no concerns, but choosing to move this thread from Earth Sciences instead to Anthroplogy & Archaeology. Let me know if anyone disagrees with this decision. I will leave a redirect.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:35 am

iNow wrote:
I wonder if this is another case of a "just so" model where they ignore all if the failed assumptions. Cool work, though. Curious (if this is, in fact, valid) how else their model could be applied or what other benefits it might offer.

MODNOTE: Minor issue and no concerns, but choosing to move this thread from Earth Sciences instead to Anthroplogy & Archaeology. Let me know if anyone disagrees with this decision. I will leave a redirect.

That's a very good point! Archaeology isn't an exact ''science'' so to speak, which is why I'm a little taken aback by the word ''accurate'' in describing this. Who decides its accuracy? I imagine there is a consensus of opinion, but still. lol

Having said that, it's a very cool break through to learning about the past!

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

This can't be right.

They simulated "The early period of human migration into the British Isles ... based upon current topographical satellite data".

But what's so important about the satellites besides the output of gee-whiz animated eye-candy? And how did they get satellite data from 12,000 years ago? They've completely ignored the changing coastline! Suggests entry point data from megalithic, yet sim begins after Christ (?!). People apparently don't move along coastlines or follow rivers or valleys, rather spread smoothly across mountain ranges. :?

Inaccurate to say the least.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:42 am

Pong wrote:
This can't be right.

They simulated "The early period of human migration into the British Isles ... based upon current topographical satellite data".

But what's so important about the satellites besides the output of gee-whiz animated eye-candy? And how did they get satellite data from 12,000 years ago? They've completely ignored the changing coastline! Suggests entry point data from megalithic, yet sim begins after Christ (?!). People apparently don't move along coastlines or follow rivers or valleys, rather spread smoothly across mountain ranges. :?

Inaccurate to say the least.

I was looking for a like feature, but there isn't one, yet. lol Somewhat agree, just seems pie in the sky, but it's weird how these things get published as Gospel truth.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sometimes popular media exaggerate claims, too. The better they bait clicks the more revenue they create, so even some of the most mundane of scientific articles frequently become bedazzled lipsticked pigs.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Given the 1km x 1km model, using satellite as the primary measures for habitability from elevation, surface water availability and flatness isn't a bad choice. The popscience summery garbled the span of the study; it goes back to 10000 years (see study at http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0154641) , by which point sea levels would be pretty stable as well as coast lines within with resolution of the model.

The actual study conclusions is mostly centered on the demonstrated usefulness of using a modified diffusion model rather than declarations of strong accuracy. It's still impressive work with broad application to humans (as well as probably other species).

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

True enough. I was taken in by the flashy demo.

Still I doubt this model will stand well to reality check. E.g. what happens when you feed it another species like ducks, elk, or fiddler crabs? I'm pretty sure fiddler crabs don't spread themselves across an ice field.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

Did the modelers intend their algorithm to be panspecies?

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:00 am
Original Member
Original Member

No, but the variables should apply as well for some other species, I imagine. Besides the huge correlation between presence of humans in some area, with presence of some other plant or animal species. Remember we once imagined a land "corridor" through the Arctic populated by herds and prehistoric humans chasing them.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Simulating prehistoric movements with accuracy  |  Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:16 am

Pong wrote:
True enough. I was taken in by the flashy demo.

Still I doubt this model will stand well to reality check. E.g. what happens when you feed it another species like ducks, elk, or fiddler crabs? I'm pretty sure fiddler crabs don't spread themselves across an ice field.

Of course not with specific parameters.

The whole point though is humans prefer and move along ecological niches that can be parameterized into certain types of terrain. Considering it appears to work for one of the planets more diverse species (humans), it's quite likely it would be even more effective as a tool to model population expansion and movements among less adaptive species be it elk or even fiddler crabs.