FAQ
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:01 pm

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is it possible with the current software to have a "like" or a "up/down vote" button?
And do we really want such a thing?
I vote for trying some such option out.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's not something I can do today in the admin panel in the way we added Youtube tags to render videos in post and thumbnail tags to reduce massive images.

Could likely be done easier (included automatically) if we upgraded forum software off the cheap (read: free except the existing domain and server costs) version we currently use.

There are also some hacks that can be done and extensions that can be added for this in paid versions. I will explore to see what's possible in the free version (but in the interest of transparency am not terribly optimistic).

SkinWalker may have greater access than I do and perhaps he can comment.

More broadly, I do not support dislike buttons, just like buttons (have seen personal grudges and unnecessary strife at forums with the downvote option too many times to repeat that mistake here).

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Looks like it may be possible, but I don't have access to the root code or related folders to get it done. Will need to defer to SkinWalker.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2162699
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2246576

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Makes sense to avoid infrastructure that might tend toward pie fights. Like momma said "Like it or shut up".*

*;Or bring up a legitimate argument.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 am

I like this thread. :-)

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:20 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Yes, I like what has been said here.. ( posting.php?mode=reply&f=43&t=1976# ) what is that ?
Does it work like this; :)

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:47 am

I have always found the like button an asset and not a detriment part of a community. No offense is taken if not "like" and a bit of happy if "like"

I like a like button.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I tend to appreciate the like function, as well. It's always nice receiving them, and nice having a quick way to show appreciation of someone else's post easily. Just unsure of what specifically is required to get it done here since we use a free version of the software. It doesn't appear to be something I can do today just from the admin panel like we would with other basic BBCode, but will continue to explore as time permits.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:06 am

I echo the verdict to add a ''like'' feature. :mrgreen:

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 am

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:44 pm

Fer sure. I mean, like I really like the like button. It makes me feel like really cool.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lol... Yeah, I get it, folks. I'm pretty clear on the fact that broad support for adding LIKE functionality exists among the community. Like, seriously... for reals, and stuff... Like, I get it. :lol:

The limitation is a technical one (or, perhaps more apropos, a capability one). SkinWalker is usually out doing archaeology and digging all week and walking around national parks and such, but tends to check-in here most weekends (and if things get urgent, I can message him on FB, but don't feel that is really necessary for this).

As it stands now, I've looked up and found possible ways to do it, just don't have the 1) confirmation it can be done on our current software version, and 2) the access to the root code and folders to do it myself.

If anyone else finds an idea in the phpBB forum about ways to do this, please feel free to share it here and I'll take a look.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:13 am

Damn those archaeologists fellows.....

Bailiff, whack their pee pee!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:24 pm

One potential problem with the 'like' function is that an absence of likes can sometimes code for a 'dislike' - consider the context of a two-way argumemt between members. If the response of one member receives 50 'likes' from fellow members, and a response from their adversary receives none, then that is as good as picking sides. I think it could lead to alienation.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
One potential problem with the 'like' function is that an absence of likes can sometimes code for a 'dislike' - consider the context of a two-way argumemt between members. If the response of one member receives 50 'likes' from fellow members, and a response from their adversary receives none, then that is as good as picking sides. I think it could lead to alienation.

I don't really see a problem with this scenario. It's not really alienation. It's just showing them that their argument is not supported by a majority of members. It's not different then when multiple members all post in agreement against a single person. Like if there was a creationist here pitching his beliefs, he would have almost all of the members here replying to him, telling him that he's wrong and to find another forum if he wants to spout that garbage. A like just saves the time of having to post "Oh yeah I agree." They can also just be an acknowledgment that you read a post.

Up votes and down votes though are more dangerous due to getting trolls that go through and just down vote all of a single person's posts. Or down vote all the posts that disagree with their opinion.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:02 am

A like

and a chat forum so we can catch up on a more personal level

I like that

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'll explore the possibilities. Someone don't let me forget :)

Wait.. I'll put a post -it note on my desk

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:05 am

SkinWalker wrote:
I'll explore the possibilities. Someone don't let me forget :)

Wait.. I'll put a post -it note on my desk

You keep your notes like I keep mine.......WOW.....I need to take a picture!!

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've actually looked into it some. Enough to know we may need to change our hosting method to implement something like that, but I'm still checking.

I was kind of hoping to do something using BBCode and maybe storing likes on a private server space in a php database or something.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
I've actually looked into it some. Enough to know we may need to change our hosting method to implement something like that, but I'm still checking.

I was kind of hoping to do something using BBCode and maybe storing likes on a private server space in a php database or something.

I'm fine without a like function, and it shouldn't put a strain on you.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:16 pm

you couldn't add a thumbs up sign to the list of smilies ? that could act as a low-tech replacement of a "like" function

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:14 pm

iNow wrote:
More broadly, I do not support dislike buttons, just like buttons (have seen personal grudges and unnecessary strife at forums with the downvote option too many times to repeat that mistake here).

I agree. "Dislike" buttons are definitely a big no. Even so, "like" buttons are not all that satisfactory. If two people make similar posts and one gets far more likes than the other, the other person may be offended, especially if their post was made before the one with more likes. "Like" can also be abused, e.g. when someone who is fond of a particular member simply "likes" whatever that member posts without reading them. (The number of likes ought to be an indication of the quality of a post, not the popularity of a poster.)

I like the system used on Stack Exchange sites, which imposes a daily quota on the number of upvotes/downvotes one member, say A, can give to posts by another member, say B. (Those sites have both "likes" (upvotes) and "dislikes" (downvotes).) If A votes (up or down) too many times on B's posts in a 24-hour period, those votes are auto-cancelled at the end of 24 hours. There is also a limit on how many votes on posts (not all by the same person) you can make in a single day.

If the "like" feature is implemented, I'd like to see some steps taken to prevent misuse.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: A like or upvote/downvote button?  |  Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:33 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'd prefer LIKES indicated only on the actual post, so total LIKES doesn't effectively rank a thread. Sometimes a trashy thread appears worth reading through, because some hilarious riposte buried in page 5 scored dozens of LIKES.