FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Karthikaqpt
Post  Post subject: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:28 am

Scientists at MIT, Massachusetts General Hospital, Living Proof, and Olivo Labs have developed a new material that can temporarily protect and tighten skin, and smooth wrinkles. With further development, it could also be used to deliver drugs to help treat skin conditions such as eczema and other types of dermatitis.

The material, a silicone-based polymer that could be applied on the skin as a thin, imperceptible coating, mimics the mechanical and elastic properties of healthy, youthful skin. In tests with human subjects, the researchers found that the material was able to reshape “eye bags” under the lower eyelids and also enhance skin hydration. This type of “second skin” could also be adapted to provide long-lasting ultraviolet protection.

It’s an invisible layer that can provide a barrier, provide cosmetic improvement, and potentially deliver a drug locally to the area that’s being treated. Those three things together could really make it ideal for use in humans.

As #skin ages, it becomes less firm and less elastic — problems that can be made worsen by sun exposure. This impairs skin’s ability to protect against extreme temperatures, toxins, microorganisms, radiation, and injury. About 10 years ago, the research team set out to develop a protective coating that could restore the properties of healthy skin, for both medical and cosmetic applications.

The researchers created a library of more than 100 possible polymers, all of which contained a chemical structure known as siloxane — a chain of alternating atoms of silicon and oxygen. These polymers can be assembled into a network arrangement known as a cross-linked polymer layer (XPL). The researchers then tested the materials in search of one that would best mimic the appearance, strength, and elasticity of healthy skin.Read full story from [removed by admin]

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:20 am
Original Member
Original Member

Why do you think "second skin" is better then exercise and good daily habits for skin condition?

What are the links to the MIT findings (not the random website you tried to link to)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:34 am
Original Member
Original Member

I've chosen to delete the spam portion while leaving the thread topic open (not my normal approach and user has been warned). Let me know if anyone feels strongly and I'll just lock it.

This is actually an interesting story, though, and it's one that turned up in more than one of my own personal science news feeds.

What are the possible usages of this that could add real value to humanity?
Are there ethical concerns with teenagers using this to hide acne and will usage hinder their emotional development somehow?
Does it make sense to use this as a transdermal drug application method like a more modern nicotine patch?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 115127.htm
Quote:
Scientists have developed a new material that can temporarily protect and tighten skin, and smooth wrinkles. With further development, it could also be used to deliver drugs to help treat skin conditions such as eczema and other types of dermatitis.

More her also from the Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spe ... -wrinkles/

What do members think about this new tech? Any unforeseen risks?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 3:26 am
Original Member
Original Member

Interesting,

I hope its not co-opted by the commercial ventures in the same way botox was, and just gets bogged into the plastic surgery camps.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:00 pm

How long do its effects last for? There is already a range of decent anti-wrinkle thingymagrubs... but they are all temporary. Applying a £20 per tub cream several times per day is just a bit, you know, annoying. Why can't people just accept their place in nature? Personally I would also want to see the health and safety data. If this potion is ten years old then there is no way to know what the health and safety consequences might be fifteen or twenty years down the line.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 10:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Why can't people just accept their place in nature?

Because we as a species have conquered many threats to our lives and wish to continue the trend by defeating aging and even death. Why are people content to just live, reproduce and die? Is it because that's the way it's always been? If so that's a lame reason. Becoming biologically immortal and staying in prime condition is the ultimate goal.

As for your other points I completely agree.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Why can't people just accept their place in nature?

We've evolved as a social species where maximizing group identity and queues to fertility and success have maximized chances at having successful offspring.

Doing things to obfuscate our flaws and signs of ill-health is the most optimal strategy (see also: why we work out, dress well, wear makeup, buy fancy cars, get boob jobs, etc.).

Most will depriorize uncertain long-term risks if it means short-term / immediate access to more suitors and mates.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:01 pm

But I imagine the people using anti-wrinkle cream will be past reproductive age?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
But I imagine the people using anti-wrinkle cream will be past reproductive age?

To be blunt, it most likely is for their mind, to tell themselves, " no im not old and death does not approach."

Death scares the f out of me and I understand the mental trauma of thinking about it.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Rory wrote:

So what, many people ( that can afford it ) who are past reproductive age use lotions and potions, and Botox along with fillers. The more drastic stuff is a surgical face lift or liposuction, but what the hell, if you look in the mirror and like what you see, it is gonna make you feel good.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Wrinkle Treatment: Is "Second Skin" The Only Option?  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:15 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
Death scares the f out of me and I understand the mental trauma of thinking about it.

any idea why it should scare you at your age ?

I'm far closer to death (presumably) - I could live another 20 years if I'm lucky or drop dead tomorrow if I'm not
but it doesn't scare me

my possible manner of dying may cause some apprehension, but being dead is a doddle - you're not there to experience it

the only thing I might feel is regret that the end of my chapter is nowhere near the end of the book of life, so I'll never find out how the story ends