FAQ
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:21 am

Rory
Post  Post subject: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

Craig Wright has decloaked as the creator of bitcoin. In a BBC interview he made it very clear that if he ever was offered recognition for his work, e.g. a Nobel prize, he would reject it outright.

Can anybody else understand that mentality?

If I were to produce work worthy of a Nobel prize, I would definitely want it. Perhaps that's because I don't ordinarily receive much/any positive affirmation from anybody... so I would want the feeling of being accepted by the scientific community.

So is Craig so serenely at peace with himself that he does not feel the need for positive affirmation from others? Or is it a form of arrogance - i.e. "I'm better than you, so why would I want recognition from you"?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:55 am

I don't know the guy, is he religious? Certain fundy sects (usually protestant ones) disdain man-made honours as prideful. That is often a reason for turning down honours. Michael Faraday refused all honours and prizes offered to him for this reason (he was a Sandemanian IIRC)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:16 am

True... can't stand the self-righteousness of the religious. Heaven forbid you should ever experience orgasm; Heaven forbid you should ever feel any glimmer of happiness.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sometimes I don't pack a lunch before going on a meander, to be a little hungry on purpose. I like it sometimes.

I doubt that "Bitcoin" rates a Nobel.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

For many developers in the computer and software industry, especially the hacker set, there is a sense of social justice and true equality. Ones and zeros, on and off, no special privileges or handicapped starting positions... all have equal power, that sort of thing.

The goal is to strip away financial power and social power and family power and instead prioritize and idolize a foundation of equal power; a foundation used differently by differently skilled people so that individual skill is truly allowed to shine through. It's about leveling the playing field and truly competing based on individual grit and and merit.

They don't generally want recognition or even money. They want a better system. They want to take down the existing biased and diseased system and ensure all people have equal access and freedom in the brave new world which is the internet and information age.

That's my take, anyway. Who knows if I'm correct or totally FOS.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm

I thought that, too, GiantEvil. I felt kind of embarrassed on his behalf, since bitcoin isn't that big of a deal.

Perhaps you are right, iNow, and Craig is attempting to be humble.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

See also:
Hackers - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113243/
Halt and Catch Fire - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543312/
Mr. Robot - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:00 am
Original Member
Original Member

On another note, there's good reason to believe Wright isn't who he says he is and that this is little more than a hoax: http://www.vox.com/2016/5/2/11567284/cr ... tcoin-hoax

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:35 pm

I was thinking, perhaps the real creator of bitcoin genuinely doesn't want to be publically known and is using Wright as a sockpuppet.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:17 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I was thinking, perhaps the real creator of bitcoin genuinely doesn't want to be publically known and is using Wright as a sockpuppet.

you mean Meat puppet.

Sockpuppets are online accounts created by a single person to appear as multiple people

Meatpuppets are multiple people colluding to use online accounts for a unified goal.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:27 am

After reading a few articles my response to the OP is that it is purely a publicity stunt... It's easy to say you will refuse something when the chances of it being offered it are so close to zero, and it gets your name in the papers...

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:56 am

PhDemon wrote:
After reading a few articles my response to the OP is that it is purely a publicity stunt... It's easy to say you will refuse something when the chances of it being offered it are so close to zero, and it gets your name in the papers...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-36189741

seems to be going around. Someone else doesn't want recognition.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Craig Wright: does anybody understand this guy?  |  Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
you mean Meat puppet.

Sockpuppets are online accounts created by a single person to appear as multiple people

Meatpuppets are multiple people colluding to use online accounts for a unified goal.

Fascinating. Struggling to prevent my mind from going here with that: