FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 pm


Author Message
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:02 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I have been thinking about getting a Mac sometime in the future. If I do get a Mac I would like to learn to program in Swift. Can you guys please share any good resources for a beginner Swift programmer?


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:04 am
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4851
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

what is Swift nearest to as a language ?

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
marnixR wrote:
sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

what is Swift nearest to as a language ?


I am not sure, I think it is nearest to Objective-C and C; I know very little about Swift.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 am

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Actually, I think Swift is rather unique as a programming language.


Top
marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:35 am
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:35 pm
Posts: 4851
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Offline
I read in Wikipedia that Swift took language ideas "from Objective-C, Rust, Haskell, Ruby, Python, C#, CLU, and far too many others to list" - half of those I've never touched, so unfortunately I'm in no position to advise

sorry

_________________
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." (Philip K. Dick)
"Someone is WRONG on the internet" (xkcd)


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
marnixR wrote:
I read in Wikipedia that Swift took language ideas "from Objective-C, Rust, Haskell, Ruby, Python, C#, CLU, and far too many others to list" - half of those I've never touched, so unfortunately I'm in no position to advise

sorry


Thanks for looking into it, I will probably just try buying a book or finding info about Swift on the web or YouTube. I was hoping somebody could recommend a book or website, but I can probably find something on my own if nobody else knows anything.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:50 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I have some good information for prospective beginner Swift programmers! A website called udemy.com has some free online Swift tutorials!


Top
scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 am

Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 8:09 pm
Posts: 28

Offline
mmatt9876 wrote:
marnixR wrote:
sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

what is Swift nearest to as a language ?


I am not sure, I think it is nearest to Objective-C and C; I know very little about Swift.


Swift is indeed unique (to the degree that any language is unique). Swift and Objective-C both rely on the same underlying frameworks. That is, you're still using UIKit, Foundation and so forth. You can use Objective-C in Swift and vice-versa using a bridging header. Swift is constantly undergoing changes and as version 3 is coming out soon, there will be even more changes.

I develop in Swift and can answer questions. Also, there are public slack forums for Swift. It's open-source now, so, swift.org has some great resources. It's opening up to more OS than just Mac and more than just mobile devices.


mmatt9876 wrote:
I have some good information for prospective beginner Swift programmers! A website called udemy.com has some free online Swift tutorials!

Not all Udemy classes are built the same, so let the buyer beware. I'd research the particular class to see how many complaints the class got before spending hard money on it. Also, there are plenty of coupon codes, so definitely look into that before buying. Lifehacker.com often has deals for Udemy.

If you can, look into getting into a bootcamp. A much more intense environment, but will give a quick start into Swift. Especially if you already have a programming background.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 am

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
scire wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
marnixR wrote:
sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

what is Swift nearest to as a language ?


I am not sure, I think it is nearest to Objective-C and C; I know very little about Swift.


Swift is indeed unique (to the degree that any language is unique). Swift and Objective-C both rely on the same underlying frameworks. That is, you're still using UIKit, Foundation and so forth. You can use Objective-C in Swift and vice-versa using a bridging header. Swift is constantly undergoing changes and as version 3 is coming out soon, there will be even more changes.

I develop in Swift and can answer questions. Also, there are public slack forums for Swift. It's open-source now, so, swift.org has some great resources. It's opening up to more OS than just Mac and more than just mobile devices..


That all sounds cool! Thanks for the offer of assistance with coding in Swift.

scire wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
I have some good information for prospective beginner Swift programmers! A website called udemy.com has some free online Swift tutorials!

Not all Udemy classes are built the same, so let the buyer beware. I'd research the particular class to see how many complaints the class got before spending hard money on it. Also, there are plenty of coupon codes, so definitely look into that before buying. Lifehacker.com often has deals for Udemy.

If you can, look into getting into a bootcamp. A much more intense environment, but will give a quick start into Swift. Especially if you already have a programming background.


Thanks for the warning concerning Udemy classes. The Swift bootcamp training sounds like something interesting to get involved in after I learn and master the basics of Swift programming.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 am

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
It looks like YouTube also had a lot of info on Swift programming and Mac and iOS app development with Swift.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Here is a link to a YouTube page with some informative videos on using Xcode and learning Swift programming:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSwiftLanguage/featured


Top
Tanpire
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 am
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:57 am
Posts: 6

Offline
I wouldn't call this the best resource, but Skip Wilson is supposed to give great programming tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SkipCasts/videos

_________________
-Tanpire


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 178
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
If you own an Apple iOS device you can search The Swift Programming Language using the iBooks app and download the free book.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   


Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy