FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:57 pm

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:02 pm

I have been thinking about getting a Mac sometime in the future. If I do get a Mac I would like to learn to program in Swift. Can you guys please share any good resources for a beginner Swift programmer?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:04 am

sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

what is Swift nearest to as a language ?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:14 pm

marnixR wrote:
sorry, again not in a position to help - all my programming experience has been limited Windows and Oracle boxes

I am not sure, I think it is nearest to Objective-C and C; I know very little about Swift.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:43 am

Actually, I think Swift is rather unique as a programming language.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 6:35 am

I read in Wikipedia that Swift took language ideas "from Objective-C, Rust, Haskell, Ruby, Python, C#, CLU, and far too many others to list" - half of those I've never touched, so unfortunately I'm in no position to advise

sorry

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:59 pm

marnixR wrote:
I read in Wikipedia that Swift took language ideas "from Objective-C, Rust, Haskell, Ruby, Python, C#, CLU, and far too many others to list" - half of those I've never touched, so unfortunately I'm in no position to advise

sorry

Thanks for looking into it, I will probably just try buying a book or finding info about Swift on the web or YouTube. I was hoping somebody could recommend a book or website, but I can probably find something on my own if nobody else knows anything.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:50 pm

I have some good information for prospective beginner Swift programmers! A website called udemy.com has some free online Swift tutorials!

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:57 am

mmatt9876 wrote:
marnixR wrote:

I am not sure, I think it is nearest to Objective-C and C; I know very little about Swift.

Swift is indeed unique (to the degree that any language is unique). Swift and Objective-C both rely on the same underlying frameworks. That is, you're still using UIKit, Foundation and so forth. You can use Objective-C in Swift and vice-versa using a bridging header. Swift is constantly undergoing changes and as version 3 is coming out soon, there will be even more changes.

I develop in Swift and can answer questions. Also, there are public slack forums for Swift. It's open-source now, so, swift.org has some great resources. It's opening up to more OS than just Mac and more than just mobile devices.

mmatt9876 wrote:
I have some good information for prospective beginner Swift programmers! A website called udemy.com has some free online Swift tutorials!

Not all Udemy classes are built the same, so let the buyer beware. I'd research the particular class to see how many complaints the class got before spending hard money on it. Also, there are plenty of coupon codes, so definitely look into that before buying. Lifehacker.com often has deals for Udemy.

If you can, look into getting into a bootcamp. A much more intense environment, but will give a quick start into Swift. Especially if you already have a programming background.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:35 am

scire wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
marnixR wrote:

Swift is indeed unique (to the degree that any language is unique). Swift and Objective-C both rely on the same underlying frameworks. That is, you're still using UIKit, Foundation and so forth. You can use Objective-C in Swift and vice-versa using a bridging header. Swift is constantly undergoing changes and as version 3 is coming out soon, there will be even more changes.

I develop in Swift and can answer questions. Also, there are public slack forums for Swift. It's open-source now, so, swift.org has some great resources. It's opening up to more OS than just Mac and more than just mobile devices..

That all sounds cool! Thanks for the offer of assistance with coding in Swift.

scire wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Not all Udemy classes are built the same, so let the buyer beware. I'd research the particular class to see how many complaints the class got before spending hard money on it. Also, there are plenty of coupon codes, so definitely look into that before buying. Lifehacker.com often has deals for Udemy.

If you can, look into getting into a bootcamp. A much more intense environment, but will give a quick start into Swift. Especially if you already have a programming background.

Thanks for the warning concerning Udemy classes. The Swift bootcamp training sounds like something interesting to get involved in after I learn and master the basics of Swift programming.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:34 am

It looks like YouTube also had a lot of info on Swift programming and Mac and iOS app development with Swift.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Here is a link to a YouTube page with some informative videos on using Xcode and learning Swift programming:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSwiftLanguage/featured

Tanpire
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:24 am

I wouldn't call this the best resource, but Skip Wilson is supposed to give great programming tutorials.
https://www.youtube.com/user/SkipCasts/videos

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Best Resources for Swift Programming  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:48 pm

If you own an Apple iOS device you can search The Swift Programming Language using the iBooks app and download the free book.