It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Trilobite
Post  Post subject: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:12 am

I'm here because NeverFly told me to.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:13 am

---User "Trilobite"---

Here is your assignment for this forum activity:

1.) You will create a user name. Your user name must not show your real name. It must be not be juvenile or unprofessional. It should be respectful of readers eyes and reflect your personality.
2.) You will choose an Avatar to visually represent your online persona. It may not be an anime character or comical meme character. Like your user name, it must have an air of professionalism to it.
3.) You will read each and every one of the forum rules to me, then come to me and explain them to me. You will then follow all the rules of the forum to the letter. Some rules deserve to be broken... I know this. But this is part of your learning experience. You will follow them.
4.) You will post at least once per day, minimum. If no standing topics interest you, you may create a new topic. Keep in mind that a boring topic will likely not generate member interest. Don't be afraid to be contentious. Ramp it up and amp it up and try to get actively discussing or debating. In so doing... Mind the Forum Rules.
5.) You will engage in NO PRIVATE MESSAGING except for moderators, myself, S.G. or Admin.
6.) In a case where you have learned something NEW in a thread that you made, you will post in the thread highlighting what new thing you learned.
Acknowledge what you learn to try to retain it.
7.) While I am perfectly "OK" with topics that are heated like Climate Change, Abortion and political stances, Fringe pseudo-scientific Hypothesis like Aquatic Ape Hypothesis et al., Conspiracy whackonutjob claims and the like... they can lead to arguments. Be mentally prepared not just for that but Moderator action if things get out of hand.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:15 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well, uh... This is, uhh...sort of... strange. Part of me will always wonder if you're just a sock puppet of neverfly.

Ahh, the Internet...

Either way, welcome, trilobite. IMO, the directives above mean nothing, so feel free to disregard and just be yourself. Do what's comfortable.

Anyone interested in the cosmos, in learning, in improving themselves, and in being authentic in ways that don't negatively impact others / that add to our collective humanity is welcome here.

Feel free to look around, start a conversation, or comment on an existing one. Cheers.

Neverfly wrote:

Oh, please. Seriously, stop. If I ban you, I'll ban the IP, too.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 am

iNow wrote:
Well, uh... This is, uhh...sort of... strange. Part of me will always wonder if you're just a sock puppet of neverfly.

And what would be the point? Did I not just say that I was going to have my 17 year old register and he would have the same I.P. in the other thread? You acknowledged it there... but then totally forgot it here?
Why would I create a sock puppet, pretend to be my own son and pretend to be myself trying to get him to practice his linguistic skills in a setting where he is forced to use them in dialogue without using the spoken word?

iNow wrote:
Either way, welcome, trilobite. IMO, the directives above mean nothing, so feel free to disregard and just be yourself. Do what's comfortable.

NO, you will not. "Trilobite" will follow my instructions. Or he will not be on the forum as there would be No Point.
iNow wrote:
Neverfly wrote:

Oh, please. Seriously, stop. If I ban you, I'll ban the IP, too.

I Cleared this in a thread I created a moment ago. You encouraged me to proceed.
NOW you try to take control of my son, tell him to disregard my instructions, and threaten to ban me for trying to get his education on track and get him where he needs to be?
Are you Out Of Your Mind?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:55 am
Original Member
Original Member

You have no power here. You need to get along with us, too.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:59 am

iNow wrote:

I have let my son know that our plan to use your forum as a means to get him motivated and doing so while practicing English in a discussion setting has been ended by YOU flying off the handle with accusation, paranoia and a complete disrespect of the attempts I am making to get my son educational values back on track.
Myself, "Trilobite" and Seagypsy will avoid your little forum.

Want to know the amusing side? I had discussed this idea already with his teachers and they thought it was a great idea.
I'll be sure to email them the link to these threads so his Educators can see your behavior. UNLESS, of course, you are dishonest and use your Moderator power to remove the posts from view.
I saved screenshots.
I had no idea what seemed like a good idea would be utterly shredded by the Science Forums resident Mod in one fell swoop.
Way to go, iNow. Great way to help out.
You're real encouraging.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Listen. I said go for it. I expressed valid concerns about whether you were being authentic or if you were just another random crazy person on the Internet, but to be clear you're being disallowed nothing at this point. Are you always so dramatic?

I was primarily informing this new member that the rules here are not dictated by you. You know what? That's true.

I then informed you (perhaps not in the most articulate manner possible) that I wanted you to chill out and let them be themselves.

You're still free to post, but if you piss me off and I ban you then your son will also (due to no fault if his own) experience the consequences.

Keep that in my mind. I'll repeat my previous comment. You have no power here. You need to get along with us, too. Continuing down this particular rabbit hole is frankly not going to do you any favors in that regard.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:36 am

iNow wrote:
Listen. I said go for it. I expressed valid concerns

No, you didn't. They are not valid. If you had the concerns, you should have just kept them to yourself until you had Evidence of any wrong doing.
iNow wrote:
Are you always so dramatic?

No, it's just that you pissed me off by acting like a paranoid assclown.
iNow wrote:
I was informing thus new member that the rules here are not dictated by you.

And I am informing you that I make the rules for my son, Not You.
Period. You have no place nor any business in what you said- At all. You were and are out of line.
iNow wrote:
I then informed you that I wanted you to chill out

No, you are not being honest. You threatened to Ban Me for having the Audacity to try to teach my kid,
I don't know who you think you are but You Have No Power Over My Family.
iNow wrote:
You're still free to post, but if you piss me off and I ban you then your son will also (due to no fault if his own) experience the consequences.

Well, considering you had no grounds to think I was pissing you off, it sure looks to me like you power tripped and went flying off the handle.

iNow wrote:

You have ZERO power over me or my family. Sure, you can ban us... but that is not power. It's just you pandering to your own ego.
And feel free to ban. It will make no difference to me at this point if you do or do not.
Again, enjoy your active little forum. I wonder if your manner of interacting with your guests has something to do with its lack of growth.

I am free to post- as long as I do it how you say. I don't think so.

We
Are
Done
Here.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

Okay. I'm giving you 2 days to cool off. Enjoy the weekend.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:41 am

iNow wrote:
Okay. I'm giving you 2 days to cool off. Enjoy the weekend.

You are the one who needs to cool off.
I do not care if it's permanent or 2 days or what. YOUR behavior is at fault here and all your power tripping won't alter the fact that others can see and make up their own minds. Any objective reader can see that you were out of line and then you started Power tripping and flexing your Moderator Muscles, nothing more.

Again, enjoy your forum.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

Neverfly wrote:
We
Are
Done
Here.
Neverfly wrote:
Again, enjoy your forum.
You mentioned that you've had problems and been banned from multiple other forums. Perhaps one day instead of blaming everyone else you'll come to recognize a common thread in all of those various interactions.

Neverfly wrote:
I don't like any of you and none of you like me.

...and let's be honest, one could write a whole dissertation on this gem of a thread: topic1318.html

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well that didn't last long... The temperament of a vial of nitroglycerin...

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:28 pm

Oh, I don't know. You might feel very differently about him with sufficient aldehyde dehydrogenase :lol:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:55 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
The temperament of a vial of nitroglycerin...

That's brilliant. Love this line!

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:53 pm

Trilobite wrote:

Welcome to the forums.

I knew Neveryfly from the .com forums before his account was suspended. I understand from your assignment that you'll have interesting topics to discuss, I look forward to them.

For what its worth, this forum has lesser traffic than the .com counterpart, but you'll find the active members here welcoming and willing to offer their input if the topic is within their expertise & interests.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:33 am

iNow, can you Quote where I said, "I have had problems and been banned by multiple forums"?
You cannot quote me on that. Don't bother, it is a rhetorical question. Because I didn't say that. All I had said was that I had tension with .com Mods and we didn't like eachother. That is it. Didn't you say you don't remember me at all? Interesting.
Yes, iNow, Some years ago, I ranted about Kalster for him acting much like how you are acting now. A dissertation of a "gem?" It looks to me like you are trying to pick a fight. Who Moderates the Moderator? You are, notably, unmoderated.
Well, let's be Scientific. Just because I was banned from the .com site years back does not mean that whatever caused that is the case here. You appear to be biased.
What is the reason you banned me on the 15th?
Show me what Rule I broke that made silencing me necessary.
I intro'd that I wanted to have my kid participate on the board for practice that he needs.
I stated that since some of the members are also .com moderators that I have had tension with, that we Do Not Like Eachother; I wanted to ensure it would not be a problem. It has, after-all, been years.
I also mentioned that, OF COURSE, my son would have the same I.P. as me.
You said "Go for it." And in two different posts, you acknowledged he would have the same I.P. as me...
I had him sign up, intro and than I set forth a PLAN for him in order to get him to understand focus, following instructions and participation and that plan included being respectful to your board rules and his persona being respectful. That is what following an educational plan is.
And then you posted your first post in the thread.
You started with complaining about thinking I was making Sock puppets (ironic). Who knows WHY you felt the need to do that. You then told my own son to disregard what I told him in trying to ensure he focuses on task. You do not know him. Who do you think you are?
You were not listening to anything anyone was saying.
You concluded your first post with a threat to me of a ban on my whole house.
For WHAT? Why did you feel that I deserved that treatment? Because I gave my kid an assignment that was respectful of your board and its rules? THAT was my CRIME? Really, dude? The teachers thoroughly approved of it.
THAT action on my part warranted you threatening to ban my whole house?

There was nothing in me giving my kid an assignment that suggested in any way whatsoever that I was "Not getting along with you."
There was Absolutely Nothing Wrong with me giving him a structured assignment. That is what he needs!
There was nothing about that that was harmful to you, your forum or its members in Any Way At All.
You were completely out of line. If I wasn't getting along with you at that point, it is because you had stepped way out of line. You made a series of assumptions, accusations and threats. You attempted to come between my son and I in his training and education- quite ignorantly.

You want to know the Common element?
All I did was bring a KID on to your board and try to guide him.
You instigated what you are calling "Drama." You attacked my character and my motives and then threatened us with a ban-in your very First Post. And the WHY of it mystifies me. You claimed it was because "internet." What?!

Yes, iNow, I openly Blame You for your poor behavior. You said you ban people when they piss you off? Does your temper rule your judgment? And when there is no moderator to moderate YOU? What happens then? Who bans you when you piss us off?
I can tell you, your behavior thoroughly pissed me off. Your needless accusations and threats pissed me off. Of course it did. It would piss off any reasonable person at that point. It was uncalled for and unnecessary.
Can I ban you? Do I need to be "banned to cool down" for that or... I don't know... maybe you could apologize for acting how you did. Is that even a viable option for you?
And since no one can ban you, you ban me and then continue your onslaught on my character while I cannot defend myself since you have me silenced.

There's your Common Thread. I do not just take the abuse from people like you. I do not roll over and stay quiet under threats when the Mod is just plain WRONG. Not from you and not from Kalster or Lynx Fox or especially, John Galt, the Moderator/Sock Puppet maker that created puppets and lied to people on both .com and .org to toy with people which was what started the aforementioned tension between me and them in the first place.

You can ban. All it will demonstrate is that is your reaction when someone defends himself from your attacks, threats and your rather ignorant intervention of a person trying to get his sons education back on track- it being off track as a source of strong and continual frustration for me.
It will say a lot more about you than it will about me.

I think that...
There is no reasoning with you, here.
You are not being rational.
You are not being objective nor being scientific.
Am I angry? Yes. I get that way when people walk all over me and then assert their authority on me to cover over their attacks.
I think you are just being a bully.
Participating in your discussion board should not mean I need to get down on bended knee to you.
I do not want my family or self to be on there seeing how you conduct yourself. You are not self aware enough to moderate others.
You made it VERY clear that we are unwelcome there and that your forum is not to be used as a place for learning. You made it clear that you rule with an iron fist, your temper, assumptions and your suddenly reached conclusions.
Which is what I thought could happen in the first place but I made the mistake of trusting YOU. I just wanted to try to get this kid to work toward some improvement in his study habits.
But no, your ego was more important.
Your desire to assert your "power" over me was more important.
Seagypsy and I both stopped posting on your board a long time ago out of disgust for behaviors like this.
Your common thread at work.
Certainly cannot trust you with my kids.

Again... iNow... enjoy your little Forum. Feel free to try to give this some spun; to twist it and distort it to make yourself look better. Feel free to claim that I was trying to "make the forum rules" just by giving my kid an assignment. There are plenty of intelligent readers here.
Feel free to have the last word. I think anyone reading can see it for what it is no matter how much you try to justify yourself and rationalize away your actions.

"A government is a body of people, usually notably ungoverned"
- Capt. Malcolm Reynolds

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:12 am

You know iNow...
...if you had a sense of honor...
Your response to the post above could go something like,
"Neverfly, maybe you have a point. Perhaps I was a bit hasty in jumping to a conclusion and I overreacted."
After-all, the instructions are there for all to see, they were not outrageous in any way.
You may even say,
"Let's try again and I will try to be a bit more judicial in my assessment of your words. I just did not like the assignment idea. Let's talk about it and see if we can reach an agreement."
I might even say,
"It's ok. I appreciate that you said that. I did not expect that. I'm sorry too, thanks for the offer."

But I believe... that you would actually do the standard Moderator move and defend, justify and vindicate yourself, while attacking my character as you have been doing since your first post.
You would probably use that LONG post I made above where I released all my frustration and dismay of how you responded as a means to make fun of me and use that as evidence against my mental stability.

Since in posting this... It would influence your response...
Any current readers will now never know which it would have been.
But deep down... I think you and I both know which it would have been.
I am grateful to you for one thing... that the ban you placed allowed me to return and release that frustration against you. It was a long post but it sure felt GOOD to say it all and tell you off.
As before, I'm disgusted with it- and to your pleasure...
cya.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Trilobite wrote:

It's really too bad this is your only post. Would love to know more about you. Clearly, your dad has a predilection for miscommunication and unnecessary abrasion, but that doesn't have to be how things go with you.

I have no reason to think you're a sockpoppet, but as I said originally I will always wonder (in much the same way I can never know if you're a cat or a self-aware AI). That's just the nature of internet, I suppose.

Regardless, you are welcome here. I will repeat my original reply (with the one sentence that caused your dad to fly completely off the handle and my later reply to him removed):

iNow wrote:
Either way, welcome, trilobite. (snip) Do what's comfortable.

Anyone interested in the cosmos, in learning, in improving themselves, and in being authentic in ways that don't negatively impact others / that add to our collective humanity is welcome here.

Feel free to look around, start a conversation, or comment on an existing one. Cheers.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:13 pm

iNow wrote:
Trilobite wrote:

iNow wrote:
It's really too bad this is your only post. Would love to know more about you.

You probably wouldn't.
Because your post with a threat to me pissed HIM off. I hadn't even seen it. He came and told me about it and he wanted to confront you. He was as stunned by that as I was. If you want to ask him, I can have you call us when he gets home from school, if it's important to you to verify it. I'm fine with it.
iNow wrote:
Clearly, your dad has a predilection for miscommunication and unnecessary abrasion, but that doesn't have to be how things go with you.

Unless, iNow, you can explain in Good. Clear. Reasonable. terms exactly how giving him an assignment required you to threaten to ban the whole I.P... do not make a hypocrite of yourself about "Unnecessary abrasion."
Feel free- line by line - to explain the crime in the steps given in the assignment. If you are unwilling or unable, I believe it demonstrates that you were simply overreacting then and trying to play it off now.
Instead of admitting that your response with a threat was unreasonable and unnecessary and moving on, you are continuing to act as though I am am the big scary monster.
You created this drama with your poor choices in wording and actions. As a moderator, you justify yourself at every turn, admitting no fault at all and using the ban and threat of ban to silence any defense.
ETA:I'm editing this because it occurs to me I may have overreacted a bit, too.
I disagree with you pointing out the Sock Puppet "Wonder" in your first post like that. It really was unnecessary and sets the wrong tone. You could have kept that to yourself.
But calling you "paranoid" was inappropriate, as well. I am sorry for calling you that. I was pretty upset by your entire tone, as my apology. But it is valid to consider that was not very fair to you.
The tone is Still Set and I am still, clearly, upset with your handling.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:55 pm

Sorry to double post- but let me try this a bit more diplomatically:
iNow, it is probable that I feel just as vindicated and justified in my reactions to you as you do to me.
I have given my perspective on it. Why I was reactive to the sock puppet comment, the threat to ban etc., given it was a response directly to My having given a very basic assignment to a person I know very well and you do not know at all.
Why don't you give YOUR perspective as to why that was so out of line, what was so wrong about it- why did you react to it as you had?

I believe that would promote mutual understanding and more peace far better than ignoring the issue or insulting me with derogatory insults... while addressing my family. It is not going to endear you to "Trilobite" any... you gotta figure... "Hey, your dads a jerk, but I'd love to get to know ya."
That can't end well.
It would be better for you to explain how the assignment was Unnecessarily abrasive, unacceptable to your forum, etc.

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Hi i'm Trilobite  |  Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 pm

iNow. Perhaps you are busy and have not yet had a chance to answer my question. And that is perfectly fine. There is no attack there. But I would like an answer.
I am going to link to something on another forum:
http://www.spacetimeandtheuniverse.com/ ... #post56996
I encourage you and others to read it.
Have you ever been driving and you needed to exit and another car coming up behind you suddenly passes you on the right, accelerates and then is blocking you from changing lines to exit? You end up either having to clamp down hard on the brakes OR gun the engine to cut him off at which point, he flips you the finger. He actually gets mad at you when he was obliviously driving lake a complete a-hole.
That happens here all the time.
And that exactly how I felt when you sidelined me with your post. When you cut me off from training my own kid and when you flipped me the finger with a threat to ban.
I reacted- yes. Perhaps most strongly because I am fed up and tired of that behavior from those that hold a position where they know better.
But does my feeling justified excuse my own behavior? Am I too good to shed my pride and apologize?
I really would rather not. I fear it would be insincere. I fear you might see that as a cause to say I was wrong all along.
But another priority is on my mind. There was a purpose behind my first comment and that has not changed. I'd like the Freedom To Choose with my own mind so...

iNow, I am sorry for my outbursts. I believe I could have handled it better.