FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:49 pm

had a strange request a few days ago

it came from a person called Katie Torrie who claims to represent Roc Nation, which in turn claims to represent Casi wyn, a welsh singer

their reason for the request ?

"We are launching a brand new single and the sound and image is a huge departure from the footage you have on your youtube channel. The reason we ask that it is removed is so music bloggers and music journalist’s don’t see it. We are building a story of who Casi is and controlling the image we are presenting. The footage goes against her look, sound and new direction."

still, if the BBC has a page displaying the old Casi Wyn, are they going to ask them to take that down too ?
the request was made in the nicest possible way, and i don't really have much of a problem taking a video down if the request is genuine, but there's always a glimmer of doubt that i've given in far too easily (btw the video was from her performance in "Proms in the Park" in Swansea's Singleton Park in September 2014)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've never uploaded a single video to YouTube, so I have no experience with this. My thoughts are that if they had valid ability to make your video get taken down, they already would have reported it and your video would have been DMCA'd.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:54 am
Original Member
Original Member

From what I can tell... It's a request, not a legally backed mandate. If you're feeling particularly generous, you might do them a favor and comply. If you were like me, you'd ignore it until something more formal came your way (since you can always still take it down later if it escalates).

I'm not a lawyer, but I play one on tv.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:53 am

Did the request come with an accompanying letterhead of some sort to aid in verifying the identity of the person who sent the request?

Verifying credentials is the first step, finding a valid reason (whether for legal reasons or simply a nicely put interpersonal request sent by the content owner/creator) to act upon said request is the second step.

One option to temporarily remove the YouTube video from circulation is configure it as a Private Video, so that it remains online, but only viewable by you. By doing this, you can revive the video to full active status at a later date and time for record purposes.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:27 am

i did check the credentials of the person in question - she appears to work for the company she says she represents, although i have not yet found any evidence that Casi Wyn is actually one of their artists

the initial email looked as follows :

i didn't have too much of an issue with the request, it just struck me as strange that someone would want to erase any trace of a different image when trying to adopt another one - if you followed that approach for David Bowie, you'd have to erase 95% of his previous (and in many cases, most excellent) work

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 pm

Since you aren't able to establish that Casi Wyn is under their label, you do not have to aheed to their request. But you are certainly free to do so if you feel incline to.

I wouldn't.

An artist has no need to hide his/her artistic progression. It is a record of his/her journey in refining their craft. I personally see no reason what so ever that a recording label would want to have that progress hidden or erased.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:30 pm

marnix, I never had you down as a pop star saboteur. I learn something new about you every day :lol:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: take down your YouTube video  |  Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:33 pm

i did agree because the request and subsequent communication was made in such a polite way that i thught : ok then, it's your funeral

i did however make the point that wiping out your history was something akin to John Lennon pretending that he had never been part of the Beatles - i.e. imo a mistake