FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:11 pm

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A little over two weeks ago I slipped and dropped a piece of metal that weighed about 150 lbs across my shin and ankle. I'm bruised from knee to ankle and still have a large lump where it impacted the shin. Across the lump is what looks like a scar in the shape of the metal bar (it didn't split the skin so this confuses me). The whole thing hurts like hell, but I'm walking without a limp now so I don't think I broke anything. I ice it and keep it elevated while I'm at work.

So my rant is that it needs to heal faster so I can go snowboarding!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Aw hope you feel better soon, Falconer.

Did you go to the ER room/doctors?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Thanks Rory. :)

No I didn't bother to go see a doctor. I doubt I broke anything, at the most I may have a hairline fracture. I've dealt with those on other body parts so I just treated it myself.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:41 pm

I won't ask which other body parts ;)

Seriously, though, I think you should go see a doctor... what if you have tissue damage that is made irreparably worse by exercise?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:48 am
Original Member
Original Member

It's sad that Americans have to avoid doctors visits so often due to cost. It's amazing how it changes our thinking on when to go to the doctor relative to our peers in actual first world nations who provide universal coverage for their citizens. I rarely go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to, and I have good coverage... Though my deductible sucks.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 am

I haven't been to the doctor since 1986 (30 years ago), and then it was to get penicillin for a sore throat -- a drug that most countries dispense over-the-counter. I've been real healthy so far in my life. I do go to the dentist twice a year for cleanings -- that only makes sense and costs very little with insurance.

The first thing I did when I moved down here to the desert 20 years ago, was to go to the nearest Mexican border town (an hour drive) and buy a supply of penicillin.

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:56 am

iNow wrote:
It's sad that Americans have to avoid doctors visits so often due to cost. It's amazing how it changes our thinking on when to go to the doctor relative to our peers in actual first world nations who provide universal coverage for their citizens.

But... something something "death panels"?

Never had to pay when I lived in England, but now I'm in New Zealand I have to pay when I go to see my GP or the nurse. And I have to go every 4 weeks for a Vitamin B12 jabbyjab.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I won't ask which other body parts ;)

Seriously, though, I think you should go see a doctor... what if you have tissue damage that is made irreparably worse by exercise?

I've either broke, fractured, or dislocated every one of my fingers at one point or another. Also fractured my other ankle before and fractured my feet several times. All that before 25! :D

As Inow noted, I have good coverage, just a terrible deductible. So in keeping with the theme of this thread, my rant is American healthcare sucks.

I would be interested in splitting the healthcare posts into their own thread and continuing the discussion.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:17 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
I would be interested in splitting the healthcare posts into their own thread and continuing the discussion.

Done

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:57 pm

Do other countries that have national health care (I'm in the US) have to purchase health insurance? Or do they get rid of this parasitic middle man?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Snafuperman wrote:
Do other countries that have national health care (I'm in the US) have to purchase health insurance? Or do they get rid of this parasitic middle man?

It's not compulsory, no. Most things are covered through the tax revenues, although sometimes the more affluent will want additional care on top of what's universally provided, which is itself understandably limited at times when run by the government to save costs. Universal care covers most things (especially anything important), but the option does exist to purchase supplemental private insurance on top of that for any additional needs/desires, it's just not required or generally even needed, IMO.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
It's sad that Americans have to avoid doctors visits so often due to cost. It's amazing how it changes our thinking on when to go to the doctor relative to our peers in actual first world nations who provide universal coverage for their citizens. I rarely go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to, and I have good coverage... Though my deductible sucks.

It really is a messed up mentality when you think of it. The whole purpose to healthcare is for us to feel comfortable in knowing that if something is wrong with us, we can seek help for it. However, because of how the American system is (and has been) many of us are like yourself and prioritize the cost of treatment over the potential benefit. Then we end up just dealing with something that our peers in other developed countries would get treated.

For example: when I get sick with the cold or flu, I determine that it probably isn't worth the co-pay and deductible to go in and be told I have a cold/flu, so instead I load up on Alka-Seltzer Plus Cold and Flu, over the counter Anti-histamines and figure I will just work through it.

For myself, if it isn't obviously broken, gushing blood, or completely debilitating me, then I will just suck it up and deal with it at home. I have many scars from things I probably should have gotten stitches for.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
For myself, if it isn't obviously broken, gushing blood, or completely debilitating me, then I will just suck it up and deal with it at home. I have many scars from things I probably should have gotten stitches for.

(not referencing your case specifically, but...)
Sadly, the same phenomenon occurs with mental health, as well.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm retired from a large corporation so I have pretty good health benefits and on top of that I've been really healthy my entire life (so far), but I feel for those less fortunate. It's a despicable situation here in the US. And then Congress now wants to take away what few health care options they have.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

(not referencing your case specifically, but...)
Sadly, the same phenomenon occurs with mental health, as well.

Very true. I've known several members in my community that have avoided getting psychological help because of the cost, and it not being covered. All of the ones that I've known were suffering from a form of depression, and at least one attempted suicide. Luckily they didn't succeed and after their attempt they were able to get the help they needed.

Unfortunately, not everyone is that lucky and many people that could have been helped end up dying needlessly. Needless preventable deaths like that piss me off because so many people have a "meh" or a "well they went out on their own terms" attitude towards them.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: American Healthcare Sucks! [split from rant corner]  |  Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Needless preventable deaths like that piss me off...

Me, too. It's just... Stupid... It's so... Preventable.