FAQ
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:45 am

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Welcome. Throw a hello down on this thread and let us know your around.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:17 pm

Is it ok for terrorists pretending to be refugees to say hello as well?
In which case, hello!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

*you're

;)

A proactive welcome to all new members, whether refugee or not.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:52 pm

Man...I hope this isn't the end of the site. I've been a member there for longer than any of the other forums I regular, and have developed friendships with people who I don't want to lose contact with.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Macgyver1968 wrote:
Man...I hope this isn't the end of the site. I've been a member there for longer than any of the other forums I regular, and have developed friendships t with people who I don't want to lose contact with.

I'm sure that you can contact some others by other means, and bring them here. Then they'll know how to contact others. I think it will be cool if we can gather everybody into a functional forum.

pineapples
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:18 am

The .com site was my #1 watering hole for science topics and discussion. I’m hoping this site can fulfill the void. Just hoping .com isn't gone permanent.

My understanding is that the Admin is very hard to get hold of.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

Many of us here first met on the dot com site. Many of us stayed here upon realizing our kindred nature.

A passion for science and evidence-based thinking helps bind us. A collegial, warm, curious nature and open, questioning, kind atmosphere helps drive us.

Now, we just need more members actively participating here to sustain us. This site is a village ready to grow. Will you help?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Harold
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:30 am

Hello. I have dropped the random numbers from my .com handle. I'm looking forward to the discussions here.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Harold wrote:
Hello. I have dropped the random numbers from my .com handle. I'm looking forward to the discussions here.

Hey Harold, good to see a familiar show up. Welcome! We've been short on wonky physics geeks here so your talents will be appreciated. If you have a way of communicating with some others from the .com site, you should call them over.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Im back again, and think that this is where I will stay :-) . The death of the .com seems inevitable at this point.

SpeedFreek
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:05 pm

pineapples wrote:
My understanding is that the Admin is very hard to get hold of.

Yup. For instance, the last time he logged in to thephysicsforum.com sub-forum was on the 16th October.

I have no private email address for him, either, but I have asked Markus Hanke if he has it (not had a reply yet), so if we are reliant on the admin logging in and reading PM's, it could take a while...

:(

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Kalster is the one that has had the most luck getting a hold of admin, but even he hasnt had any luck this time. Also as I understand it, admin is actually a "startup" business in India that seems very dubious in nature

Harold
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:49 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
Harold wrote:

Hey Harold, good to see a familiar show up. Welcome! We've been short on wonky physics geeks here so your talents will be appreciated. If you have a way of communicating with some others from the .com site, you should call them over.

Many thanks for the compliment, but I don't see myself as a wonky physics geek, at least compared to some of those guys that hang out at thephysicsforum. I see somebody put up an announcement there directing people over here, so maybe some of them will show up.

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Hey everyone.

I thought it was just me that was having troubles with the .com site.

I'm half-glad it's not just me, half-sad it's everyone else too.

Anyway, Dywyddyr pointed me in the direction of this forum, and here I am.

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:43 pm

Welcome! I'm glad you made it to the lifeboats, instead of hanging on to a piece of floating debris. :) Damn them icebergs.

Strange
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:25 am

Hi all. I'm here! :|

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well, alright!

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:33 am

Strange wrote:

Sweet! glad you made it.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:49 am
Original Member
Original Member

Strange wrote:

Good to see you here

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:33 am

Man...I hope Babe finds her way here. When I was at my lowest of lows....she helped pick me up..and I will never forget that.

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:37 am

Macgyver1968 wrote:
Man...I hope Babe finds her way here. When I was at my lowest of lows....she helped pick me up..and I will never forget that.

Yeah, I like Babe. :)

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:54 am

Daecon wrote:
Macgyver1968 wrote:

Dude, I was homeless, and she sent me money which made me not-homeless...I would kill for her. :)

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Macgyver1968 wrote:
Daecon wrote:
Macgyver1968 wrote:

Dude, I was homeless, and she sent me money which made me not-homeless...I would kill for her. :)

Do you have a way to contact her outside of TSF? Snailmail or such? We need someone to pluck the duck.

Strange
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Macgyver1968 wrote:

I think we were all touched by that.

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
Do you have a way to contact her outside of TSF? Snailmail or such? We need someone to pluck the duck.

Actually, I do...she was kind enough to send me a Christmas card this year. I'll have to drop her a note.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:22 am

Well well....had to do it.

Some of you might smell a bit musty, but it's sure to beat the broken down home many of us left after the landlord ignored desperate pleas to fix the heating, plumbing and finally that roof hole dripping rain over the electric stove.

Glad to be here and reunited with old friends.

Last edited by Lynx_Fox on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

Been a long time. Good seeing you, LF.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Our Friends from .com are always welcome here! Good to see you all on the holidays, though too bad it's for such a terrible reason (the hack).

Pull up a chair and stay as long as you like!

And someone pass around a little Holiday cheer to add to my eggnog....

Kagenlim
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:51 am

Well,my name is Kagen lim,people call me kagenlim.I got banned by the duck Till march so I'm be residing in my summer home site for now (which is here BTW)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Hope to renew acquaintances. As a person mainly interested in science I find this forum a little more intimidating than where I just came from, but much nicer than being involved in a train wreck. Don't know what I can contribute but those who know me will say I ask a lot of questions. I believe I joined here when this forum was in its infancy and remember being asked to give it a shot. See some usernames from the past and those who moved over from TSF. Hope I never really pissed many of you off because I wouldn't remember if I did. ;) The slate's clean, my reputation probably not but what the hell, perhaps I can turn over a new leaf and just wait for the right moment to chime in. Hello to everyone.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello from me, rather bewildered :shock:

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm

MolōnLabe wrote:
Hello from me, rather bewildered :shock:

Hello and welcome!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Welcome, folks. Pull up a screen and read. Pull up a keyboard and post. Pull up a tasty beverage and enjoy.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

In reference to a December post, GE and Mac, I couldn't agree more. If you want a diversion from the complexities of the universe then the babe is most definitely #1 on the Most Wanted list.

I would welcome the Duck, even if he's out of season. ;)

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
In reference to a December post, GE and Mac, I couldn't agree more. If you want a diversion from the complexities of the universe then the babe is most definitely #1 on the Most Wanted list.

I would welcome the Duck, even if he's out of season. ;)

I hope the Duck decides to roost here.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The frustraing part is that harold has been on for a couple hours now, and not had the dignity to even address the situation at all. And now all the other mods are no longer online there.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:25 am

Aloha and those that know me, know I am not a scientist but a singer/actor. Nice to see all of you, but also hoping Sir Ducky is reinstated.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:27 am

So, once again, we are to become the temporary convenience for the .com-ites... until their regular site is fixed and they desert once again, without so much as a "goodbye". Well, whatever, I'll just read and post around them... I'm not going to invest energy in people who use this place without any intention of staying.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:53 am

I saw a comment on the .com site's chatbox indicating that this site is rather slow and inert
time for a change, or will the disgruntled few return to the more lively site in the end ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
So, once again, we are to become the temporary convenience for the .com-ites... until their regular site is fixed and they desert once again, without so much as a "goodbye". Well, whatever, I'll just read and post around them... I'm not going to invest energy in people who use this place without any intention of staying.

Sorry you feel this way, but anyone is welcome here as long as they follow the spirit of the site and don't break the rules.

I agree, I'd like to see folks hang around and participate more here and it's disappointing to occasionally feel like an affair or a fling lasting only until the spouse returns, but who cares in the end?

Life's too short to bother. Encourage you to enjoy everyone's company when they visit, whether they're in and out quickly or recurring regular guests.

I agree this site is a bit inert and rather slow. Unfortunately, the solution that resolves this is the opposite of choosing to stay away. Cheers

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Quote:
iNow wrote:
I agree, I'd like to see folks hang around and participate more here and it's disappointing to occasionally feel like an affair or a fling lasting only until the spouse returns, but who cares in the end?

But, don't you feel used?

I'm just saying, they'll be gone in a couple of weeks...

Last edited by Rory on Sun May 01, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Especially if you keep acting like this, I agree. Come on, now. That's enough.

Live and let live. Chillax. Fix a cocktail. Enjoy the show.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Okay ;)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

:)

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 5:54 pm

Rory wrote:

That might be a valid comment, but I'm finding it almost impossbile to find my way around here. I can't even work out how to get an avatar.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:34 pm

MolōnLabe wrote:
Rory wrote:

That might be a valid comment, but I'm finding it almost impossbile to find my way around here. I can't even work out how to get an avatar.

really ? what is it that you find so disorientating, apart not finding how to get an avatar ?
I don't remember having any issues

if you want something changed to the look-and-feel of this forum, how about contacting SkinWalker ? he's the owner of this site, and if anyone can make any fundamental changes, then he's the person to contact

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MolōnLabe wrote:
I'm finding it almost impossbile to find my way around here. I can't even work out how to get an avatar.

I travel a bunch for work so find myself often trying to get oriented to a bunch of different rental cars, usually in dark parking garages after long flights.

I often lament, "why the hell did you put the shifter over here and where are the damned lights!" or "seriously, its raining and I can't find the windshield wipers. This is ridiculous!"

End of the day, though, they're all cars and the adjustment time minimal. Just have to get past the initial adaptation period.

Maybe this will help: ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm

For those unaware, you are able to change the skin of the forum appearance if you like. It's listed in user control panel > board preferences > edit global setting > my board style.

Image Image Image Image Image

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:50 pm

Hello there... I've just registered... Apparently the other science forum is not operational momentaneously...

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:32 pm

Hello and welcome, M_Gabriela