FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:39 am

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:57 am

Just 3 days now until the domain expires.Fingers crossed it will run into the buffers next Tuesday and someone else is free to buy the domain.

http://whois.domaintools.com/thescienceforum.com

Northerner
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:50 am

geordief wrote:
Just 3 days now until the domain expires.Fingers crossed it will run into the buffers next Tuesday and someone else is free to buy the domain.

Any idea whether this is likely to happen?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Northerner wrote:
geordief wrote:

Any idea whether this is likely to happen?

Ingrained pessimism says the bugger will renew at the last minute but we will at least know in short order.

The whois site I linked to says the auto renew is "off"- so perhaps he ,or his agent will have to be paying attention or else the domain (not the database) will become available ,perhaps after a period of grace (not sure about that).

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:43 pm

geordief wrote:
Ingrained pessimism says the bugger will renew at the last minute but we will at least know in short order.

The whois site I linked to says the auto renew is "off"- so perhaps he ,or his agent will have to be paying attention or else the domain (not the database) will become available ,perhaps after a period of grace (not sure about that).

A chance for someone to stay up until midnight and get it at the first available moment.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:25 am

scire wrote:
A chance for someone to stay up until midnight and get it at the first available moment.

Does this say it expires tomorrow at 19.16 ?

https://who.godaddy.com/whoisstd.aspx?d ... 2fa8jns%3d

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-10-18T19:16:44Z

It is still showing Database Error for now.....

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:27 am

Hmm, I see there is a 75 or 80 day period before the domain becomes available to the public.

https://mikeindustries.com/blog/archive ... ing-domain

Hopefully if the domain does become available then ,no one will bid against each other (but how to prevent that?)

Macgyver1968
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 pm

So hopefully around Christmas, we'll all get a present of someone buying the domain name and putting up a new forum.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Well whois is still showing the expiry date as yesterday at 19.16 hrs.

I don't know how quickly it would update that if the owner decided to renew but I think he has 40 days to do it .

But he will still own the database even if he doesn't renew .

I have no idea what might happen but I suppose we will find out eventually.

I was actually going to buy it yesterday because I typed in "thesciencforum.com" into the domain box and it said it was available ;)

I thought at least it would stop the owner renewing but of course it was just a typo and too early to be available anyway :(

I was not going to buy it for myself -just to grab a hold of it in case anyone else wanted it....

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:13 pm

The domain name has now been renewed for another year :'(

Looks like he likes sitting on the pot...... or maybe he is using the site for some other purpose....

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm

weird isn't it ? I wonder what his game is

left a message for Kalster in the facebook group

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:27 pm

marnixR wrote:

The Duck said a few people were using the site for lengthy messaging (not posting)-he banned them.

I also texted Kalster at his shop (as well as the owner of this site) as I thought it was the opportune time to "snap up " the name and I thought he might have the know how to get the site up again if the domain name was out of the way.

The owner seems cute enough to remember to renew the domain but seemingly no interest in facilitating the forum.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

geordief wrote:
marnixR wrote:

The Duck said a few people were using the site for lengthy messaging (not posting)-he banned them.

I also texted Kalster at his shop (as well as the owner of this site) as I thought it was the opportune time to "snap up " the name and I thought he might have the know how to get the site up again if the domain name was out of the way.

The owner seems cute enough to remember to renew the domain but seemingly no interest in facilitating the forum.

Agreed, they renewed but they did not actually fix the database error, so the site is still essentially nuked

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

Our fallout shelter remains open and available to survivors who wish to help build and grow another community

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

At this point I'm not sure why some are hanging onto hopes of the other site resurrecting. It was dying a slow death, and now that it's dead I feel like we should just carry on the spirit of it here. Every time the USS Enterprise starship was destroyed they just made a new model and continued the mission. They didn't try taking the twisted and scorched pieces and try rebuilding with those.

This site even looks like how the .com site looked back in 2011 before the remodel. Also something I've found funny for a while now is that when the other site first introduced their like function, nearly everyone at the time was skeptical of it or thought it was unneeded. While now we've all gotten so used to using it that we sorely miss it.

scire
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:47 pm

iNow wrote:
Our fallout shelter remains open and available to survivors who wish to help build and grow another community

Is that the shelter on Cloverfield Lane?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No matter where you are or when you are, this shelter is just a short click away ;)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:42 pm

iNow wrote:
No matter where you are or when you are, this shelter is just a short click away ;)

"A shot away"

Gimme Shelter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yGFuX2KDQs

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

^nicely played! 8-)

Northerner
Post  Post subject: e forumRe: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Apologies to those .org regulars who may not welcome any more questions about the .com site!
Does anyone have any new information, about the other science forum, or must we assume the odds against any form of resurrection are massive?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: e forumRe: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:16 pm

Northerner wrote:
Apologies to those .org regulars who may not welcome any more questions about the .com site!
Does anyone have any new information, about the other science forum, or must we assume the odds against any form of resurrection are massive?

I think we may be coming up to the end of a 40 day period after which the owner (if he has not renewed already) will have to pay quite a lot of money to renew.That may fall this Friday.

Fingers crossed.

Northerner
Post  Post subject: Re: e forumRe: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:10 pm

geordief wrote:
Northerner wrote:

I think we may be coming up to the end of a 40 day period after which the owner (if he has not renewed already) will have to pay quite a lot of money to renew.That may fall this Friday.

Fingers crossed.

I have this right then?
The owner hasn't given any information, to anyone, as to why the .com faces closure!

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: e forumRe: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Northerner wrote:
geordief wrote:
Northerner wrote:

Fingers crossed.

I have this right then?
The owner hasn't given any information, to anyone, as to why the .com faces closure!

We don't know that. If he is a business man -or has any financial commitments you would think he would be acting so as to retain the value of his investment.

I guess things may become clearer in due course. Wait and see.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:22 pm

The owner of the .com site was the ultimate absentee landlord... No one heard anything from him form one year to the next, IIRC he only stepped in twice during my time there - once when my account was deleted by accident and again when a hacker took control of the site. Other than that he had no involvement.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

pyoko
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:41 pm

I am Pyoko from the .com

Just joined. Hello!!!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:02 pm

welcome ! you may find it a bit quiet here in comparison with the .com site, but the more of you migrate to this site, the more it will feel like home 8-)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:27 pm

The site has ticked back on again (temporarily?). I don't know what is happening but gimpforums.com has also come back and it also belongs to the same owner.

Maybe someone invented time travel? :D

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Our poor little dot org site... always the bridesmaid, never the bride :lol:

:(

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:52 am

iNow wrote:

Yes I noticed that. I wonder why that is .Is it the layout of the site that doesn't attract new posters.

In my case I have a "brand loyalty" to the com site but I also find it easier and more interesting to use. There has to be a reason , you would think because the "demise" of the com site provided very favourable conditions for this site to occupy the niche vacated (and still there because the com site could go down the tubes again at any time)

I guess Skinwalker is sanguine about the whole thing as I don't think the layout of this site has changed very much at all has it since it was set up (just a feeling)

It is weird how the com site has come back again for now. Someone suggested that it had been being used to send pms by people who were no using the site to post at all (they were suspended for that) and I wonder is that all the owner wanted it for(back channel messaging).

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:50 am

geordief wrote:
iNow wrote:

Yes I noticed that. I wonder why that is .Is it the layout of the site that doesn't attract new posters.

In my case I have a "brand loyalty" to the com site but I also find it easier and more interesting to use. There has to be a reason , you would think because the "demise" of the com site provided very favourable conditions for this site to occupy the niche vacated (and still there because the com site could go down the tubes again at any time)

I guess Skinwalker is sanguine about the whole thing as I don't think the layout of this site has changed very much at all has it since it was set up (just a feeling)

It is weird how the com site has come back again for now. Someone suggested that it had been being used to send pms by people who were no using the site to post at all (they were suspended for that) and I wonder is that all the owner wanted it for(back channel messaging).

Has anyone a theory as to what is going on with the com site? Still no word from the owner but 3 of his "dead" sites reappeared and seem to be working regularly for the past 3 weeks or so.

This is not exactly new information ....

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

geordief wrote:
Has anyone a theory as to what is going on with the com site? Still no word from the owner but 3 of his "dead" sites reappeared and seem to be working regularly for the past 3 weeks or so.

This is not exactly new information ....

I imagine he just noticed they were down and restored them. He probably has a different email address than what the admins had and is not interested enough to make contact on the forums.