FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:53 am

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yeah, I mean the owner had been unreachable for how long? Then the reset. I kind of figured this was coming. Although I didn't think it would happen until October.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

My hopes went up a little with the reset at first, but then with no explaination after, I gave up

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Same here. but to be honest after the whole Harold BS I didn't really go back there much. I was too frustrated at the loss of all the good discussions.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The loss was hard, but the lack of communication for so long was even worse to me

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Oh I agree. The loss was just the final straw for me to stop giving a damn about that site. the lack of contact was always the most worrying. I mean were we just going to cross our fingers and hope that every October the site would just be renewed?

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
wegs wrote:
Hello :)

Noticed that the other .com site is down? Is it down...or done? :shock: I haven't been on there in a few weeks.

Hi wegs!

I get the feeling that the site is done, not just down. The owner clearly lost interest in it.

That's so sad. I had been not active there in a few years, and then returned, and was hoping it'd get back to old times. Maybe someone else will bring it back up. Can someone buy it from the original owner?? :(

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:12 pm

Sooo...can we have a like feature here then?? To help those of us in mourning? :lol:

Being serious though. A like feature is needed! :D

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:58 am

paleoichneum wrote:
I think your right falconer, this is the longest the site has been down and there has been no word from anyone about it. We knew it was coming for a while tbh.

I agree I think it is toast....butter anyone?

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

It's dropping on Google too.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:39 pm

This is sad, I wonder what happened. I had stopped posting there for a while, and so I missed all the drama that apparently ensued afterwards. I remember joining there, and I loved SeaGypsy, Neverfly, Kalster, and of course everyone here. :D It was such a fun site. My reasons for leaving however, had nothing to do with the site, I just got busy in life and then forgot about it. One day recently, I decided to start lurking...and then saw all that had changed. It's sad to see the site die like that. :(

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We're glad to have you here, though

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:02 pm

Such a smoothie ,iNow :roll:

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:01 am

iNow wrote:

TY! I'm glad to be here. :)

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:27 am

wegs wrote:
iNow wrote:

TY! I'm glad to be here. :)

This is a good place....

I can do this site.

Very nice people

and I am sure they don't put up with nonsense

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

babe wrote:

That's right! And you'd better stay in line, babe... seriously, don't test me!!

;)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:49 pm

babe wrote:

nonsense schmonsense - there's no nonsense I can't out-nonsense !

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
babe wrote:

nonsense schmonsense - there's no nonsense I can't out-nonsense !

^He's telling the truth you know. :lol:

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 am

iNow wrote:
babe wrote:

That's right! And you'd better stay in line, babe... seriously, don't test me!!

HEY my BRAT STATUS along with theatre whore stays intact! *L*

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:40 am

Oh, just kill her now.
It'll save trouble in the long run.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:54 am

Dywyddyr wrote:
Oh, just kill her now.
It'll save trouble in the long run.

PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK

Last edited by iNow on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Replaced IMG tags with THUMB tags

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:55 am

SORRY SO LARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

babe wrote:

No worries. Easy to fix. Just wrap the image URL using THUMB tags instead of IMG tags... So:

[thumb ]http://www-image...jpg[/thumb ]

...instead of...

[img ]http://www-image...jpg[/img ]

I've already made this edit for you above. Cheers

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:06 am

iNow wrote:
babe wrote:

No worries. Easy to fix. Just wrap the image URL using THUMB tags instead of IMG tags... So:

...instead of...

and ya expect me to REMEMBER THIS? *L* I shall TRULY TRY!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Whatevs... won't break the universe if you forget.

FYI - There's a button in the text editor called "thumb" to make it easier. You'll find it between the latex and youtube buttons.

Surely, babe... you can AT LEAST remember latex, can't you? ;)

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:20 pm

babe wrote:

PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK

Is that duck pledging allegiance to something?

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:41 am

iNow wrote:
Whatevs... won't break the universe if you forget.

FYI - There's a button in the text editor called "thumb" to make it easier. You'll find it between the latex and youtube buttons.

Surely, babe... you can AT LEAST remember latex, can't you? ;)

I am allergic......thank GOD I found that out before I had it somewhere....well ya get the picture!! *L*

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:42 am

geordief wrote:
babe wrote:

PLUCK PLUCK PLUCK

Is that duck pledging allegiance to something?

That is SIR DUCKY if he doesn't behave *L*

M_Gabriela
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:01 am

:lol:

"like" to all previous comments about the Duck

Mat5592
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:16 am

Hi everyone. I used to visit the .com site every now and then, but it seems to be done for now. Maybe some here remember me, probably not. I probably won't post much, but maybe you all will get lucky ;)

Northerner
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:49 am

Mat5592 wrote:
Hi everyone. I used to visit the .com site every now and then, but it seems to be done for now. Maybe some here remember me, probably not. I probably won't post much, but maybe you all will get lucky ;)

I believe I may know you or, at least, one or two of your posting associates.
It would be a tragedy, given your status as an amateur hard case combined with a profound knowledge of the philosophy of science, if you only posted infrequently!
Are you still demanding double helpings at lunch?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Mat5592 wrote:

Welcome to the forums Mat! Originally I typed just "Welcome Mat!" but you can see the problem with that lol.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:56 pm

Hey Mat.
Glad you found us.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:18 am

Hello, so this is where you all went to !

OB

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:27 am

One beer wrote:

OB

All present and correct ,cap'n :D

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:30 am

Hi geordief,

Nice to see you all again. I was getting lonely !

Just trying to remember how I created my avatar picture from my on board picture library last time.

For those who don't know me, I am a .com refugee. I am an airline pilot and electronics engineer. I worked in television outside broadcasts for the UK's national broadcaster until I retrained as a pilot.

I have a keen interest in science.

Glad I found you all.

OB

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:21 am

One beer wrote:

OB

YES AND ALOHA MATT!!!

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:23 am

You theatre angel whore is here!!

GREAT to see you ONE BEER and all!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

One beer wrote:
Just trying to remember how I created my avatar picture from my on board picture library last time.

For those who don't know me, I am a .com refugee. I am an airline pilot and electronics engineer. I worked in television outside broadcasts for the UK's national broadcaster until I retrained as a pilot.

I have a keen interest in science.

Glad I found you all.

OB

Welcome to the community, OB! We're glad to have you.

Note that avatar, signature, and related items can be updated in the User Control Panel. Here's a direct link for avatar update to help: ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:28 am

Hi, thank you. It's good to be here.

I know where to find the control panel and user profile edit, but what I have a problem with is reducing a picture's pixels from a 5mb picture on my iPad down to 110 pixels for the avatar image. I did this before for the .com site, but cannot remember how I did it.

Secondly, I am getting an extrememly aggressive facebook pop up every time I look anywhere on this forum. It keeps popping up repeatedly despite me pressing the X. This does not happen on any other forums I go to. How do I kill it from happening please.

Any advice on either problem would be welcome.

OB

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:34 am

One beer wrote:
Hi, thank you. It's good to be here.

I know where to find the control panel and user profile edit, but what I have a problem with is reducing a picture's pixels from a 5mb picture on my iPad down to 110 pixels for the avatar image. I did this before for the .com site, but cannot remember how I did it.

Secondly, I am getting an extrememly aggressive facebook pop up every time I look anywhere on this forum. It keeps popping up repeatedly despite me pressing the X. This does not happen on any other forums I go to. How do I kill it from happening please.

Any advice on either problem would be welcome.

OB

Doesn't iNow explain the method to Babe further up in the thread ?

I will copy the message for you (she needed to reduce the duck image in size)

...instead of...

Not sure if that will work for avatars.....

ps I see posts are not numbered on this site for easy idntification

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

I use adblocker
also, just google "resize an image" for lots of options

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:47 am

iNow wrote:
I use adblocker

So do I . Quite a few sites restrict access if you use ad blocker. I put up with that.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 am

Thank you. I found Charlie Brown in the list of pictures on the site, and have always liked Charles Schulz's cartoons.

OB

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 am

One beer wrote:
Thank you. I found Charlie Brown in the list of pictures on the site, and have always liked Charles Schulz's cartoons.

OB

I think he needs a pat on the head :)

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:23 am

Met Charles Schultz years ago. He used to run a Pro-Am Golf tournament down in the Santa Rosa area of California and we went and participated in the tournament for several years.

A nice man.

Later, when my father died....and parents had decided to be buried they chose this little cemetery in the vineyards of Sebastopol area of Calif....Dad is five down from Charles Shultz...I think they might be sharing Peanuts!

stander-j
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:01 pm

Hey all, I'm here now too. After... 2 years of inactivity at .com? When did .com blow up? It seemed to be in the process of petering out discussion/momentum wise quite awhile ago, but I never expected it to flat line completely.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 pm

stander-j wrote:
Hey all, I'm here now too. After... 2 years of inactivity at .com? When did .com blow up? It seemed to be in the process of petering out discussion/momentum wise quite awhile ago, but I never expected it to flat line completely.

Proprietariocide :(

Dates Created on 2004-10-18 - Expires on 2016-10-18 - Updated on 2015-10-19

fingers crossed he won't renew the domain name this time around.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 am

nice to see the old forum people coming in

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:57 am

I would love to have met Charles Schulz - I saw him on TV once and he seemed like a nice guy.

It would be great to have a talent like his - I like good cartoon art such as Peanuts and Tintin.

I believe Mr Schulz drew one Peanuts cartoon strip each day.

OB

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: Welcome to all .com refugees.  |  Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:04 am

One beer wrote:
I would love to have met Charles Schulz - I saw him on TV once and he seemed like a nice guy.

It would be great to have a talent like his - I like good cartoon art such as Peanuts and Tintin.

I believe Mr Schulz drew one Peanuts cartoon strip each day.

OB

He was a very nice and humble man who LOVED GOLF! *S*...it is a privilege to have met him....