FAQ
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: giving credit  |  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 pm

i've got this WordPress site where i place bird pictures in a daily blog and then try to in a proper classification scheme elsewhere on the website

however, there's 2 buts : in order to make the site more comprehensive, i've added (where available) an audio part from the RSPB bird guide so that the sound of the bird can be linked with its appearance, and secondly, i've also (again, where available) used distribution maps of where various birds occur in the UK from the Bird Atlas Mapstore

now what i've done on the home page of the iste is place the following disclaimer :

Quote:
Note: All the photographs, as well as the YouTube videos, in the blog are mine, although I don't mind if people want to use them elsewhere (you'll find a small number of them in Wikimedia Commons). However, on some pages I have embedded bird sounds which come from the RSBP's Bird Guide, and the UK distribution map on some pages comes from the Bird Atlas Mapstore. If anyone has any problems with this, please contact me, and I'll see what I can do.

what i was wondering is whether something like this is sufficient as a disclaimer ? presumably it all will depend on how territorial both the RSPB and the Mapstore are when it comes to the use of their material

does anyone have any experience with this type of thing ? does it help that this site is purely for my own enjoyment and totally not for profit ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: giving credit  |  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:06 pm

I have no idea.

Could you try contacting the RSPB directly?

If you do it by email then you also have the advantage of written proof of the permission request in the unlikely event thay they become narky.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: giving credit  |  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:27 pm

actually i found out that the sound recordings on the RSPB site are actually not their own, but embedded from a site called Xeno-Canto + the latter operate on a Creative Commons licence, which means you can use it for non-commercial purposes provided you link to their site and give credit to the recordist who placed the sound trace on their site

the Bird Atlas Mapstore seems to be a different kettle of fish though : at the bottom of their home page it clearly says "© BTO. Maps must not be used or reproduced without prior permission from BTO. Anyone wishing to use these maps and related data should complete a data request form." The problem with the data request form is that (1) it appears designed for research project requests who need it to prove a specific point; and (2) it says in the terms and conditions that "Permission to use the data expires 12 months after approval unless a request for longer use is made in advance.", which is not really suitable for displaying a map based on a URL on a different website

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: giving credit  |  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 pm

Maybe you could ask them for 10 years then you don't have to keep on making requests?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: giving credit  |  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I don't have any experience with this. I'm sometimes snarky and it's easy when I have no skin in the game. Anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt, but...

It's often better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Your attempts to give credit where it's due strike me as sincere, well-intentioned, and more comprehensive than many others would bother with. You should be lauded and applauded IMO, not fined and jail-timed.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: giving credit  |  Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:11 pm

mind you my site is currently well below the horizon, and possibly will remain that way

i'm also reminded of the saying "don't ask the question if you don't want to get no for an answer"

presumably what i will do is remain schtum so that i can claim ignorance if ever i'm found out, and in the meantime maybe stay on the lookout for a similar site that is more in the public domain

does anyone know of such a site ?