FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:51 am

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions?  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

I haven't read a SF book that I liked in many years. I've read (or tried to read) some that were rated highly in Amazon and some that were critically acclaimed, but didn't like them much. I'm looking for pretty solid SF. No fantasy. No Star Wars type books. Also no gratuitous sex, violence, or cussing.

Any suggestions?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:44 pm

the last good SF i've read is Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy in 5 parts - but then again, not everyone likes his sort of humour

i also enjoyed Roger MacBride Allen's robot trilogy (Caliban, Inferno, Utopia), loosely based on one of Asimov's spacer worlds

but other than that i stopped following SF a long time ago

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:52 pm

I read all (or most) of the Hitchhiker books, albeit many years ago. I think SF "literature" is mostly a wasteland. I've thrown away more brand new SF books after reading a few pages. It sure proves Sturgeon's Law. But maybe 90% of all recent "literature" is crap. ;)

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:20 pm

"Across Real Time" by Vernor Vinge, "Titan, Wizard, and Demon" by John Varley are a couple of good ones..

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Snafuperman wrote:
It sure proves Sturgeon's Law. But maybe 90% of all recent "literature" is crap. ;)

didn't he say that 90% of EVERYTHING is crap ?

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:17 pm

I think he started it with SF literature in mind and then proposed that all literature might qualify. Later his "law" was extended to everything.

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:33 am

Snafuperman wrote:
I think he started it with SF literature in mind and then proposed that all literature might qualify. Later his "law" was extended to everything.

Not quite: critics stated that 90% of SF was crap and Sturgeon's reply was that 90% of everything is crap.

Apparently Kipling was there first, or at least within 10%: Four–fifths of everybody's work must be bad. But the remnant is worth the trouble for its own sake (The Writings in Prose and Verse of Rudyard Kipling).

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:19 pm

The last SF book (or sort of SF book) I tried to read was The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It was absolutely horrible. After reading one quarter of the book I literally threw it away.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Snafuperman wrote:
I haven't read a SF book that I liked in many years. I've read (or tried to read) some that were rated highly in Amazon and some that were critically acclaimed, but didn't like them much. I'm looking for pretty solid SF. No fantasy. No Star Wars type books. Also no gratuitous sex, violence, or cussing.

Any suggestions?

If you haven't given it a go yet, I reccomend Frank Herbert's Dune. Based on the criteria you've given.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
If you haven't given it a go yet, I reccomend Frank Herbert's Dune. Based on the criteria you've given.

Thank you.

I first read Dune a long time ago, in the late 1960s. Great book. I've read it again at least twice. I read the second book but it was hard to get through -- I didn't care for it much.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re:  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Olinguito wrote:
The last SF book (or sort of SF book) I tried to read was The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It was absolutely horrible. After reading one quarter of the book I literally threw it away.

I've thrown away SF books after only reading a few pages.

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:18 pm

The only books I've read over the last few years are the Times Eye series, the first 4 books of the Long Earth series and The Wheel of Ice (a Doctor Who novel). I have nothing positive to say about any of them... except that I must be a glutton for punishment.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:21 pm

I've about come to the conclusion that I will just re-read SF books that I've already read for the remainder of my life. :cry:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I enjoyed the Martian before the movie came out. A super quick, but fun read.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: I haven't read a good SF book in years. Any suggestions  |  Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:55 pm

iNow wrote:
I enjoyed the Martian before the movie came out. A super quick, but fun read.

Sorry. I tried to read that but didn't like it much.