FAQ
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:13 am

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:20 pm

It's a "super moon" which means to the trained eye you will be able to notice that it is slightly larger than normal due to the Moon being at or near perigee at full moon. Most people won't be able to tell the difference. The only time the angular diameter of the Moon is most apparent is when we have an annular solar eclipse as opposed to a total eclipse.

(I read where some of the Mormons were afraid that some horror was going to happen during the "super blood moon". :lol: :roll: )

alexg
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:35 pm

I wont be able to see much. All lines of sight are blocked with trees.

Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Richard Feynman

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:38 pm

Check out the NASA website. They were going to webcam the entire eclipse.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsystem/ ... lipse.html

Here's another one: http://www.space.com/19195-night-sky-pl ... casts.html

Last edited by Snafuperman on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexg
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Snafuperman wrote:

Probably will. Not the same as watching live.

Richard Feynman

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:44 pm

alexg wrote:
Snafuperman wrote:

Probably will. Not the same as watching live.

I agree. Not even close, really.

I lived in CT for 13 years. I couldn't see the sky any where near my house. Now I can see the Milky Way real pronounced from my own driveway.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Don' t feel too bad if you don't see it.

The media is making this out to be some "once in a lifetime" event and it's true that it won't happen again for 18 years . . . but, it's going to look just like every other lunar eclipse you've ever seen. It may appear larger as the full Moon does when it's on the horizon, but that's also no different than other full Moons.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 am
Original Member
Original Member

Thanks for the reminder! It's always worth at least making the attempt.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:22 am

Yeah, as old as I am (65) I've seen quite a few lunar eclipses and I get a bit jaded sometimes. Not good. I think it has started already but the Sun is still up here. I won't see it till it's at the midpoint or later.

alexg
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:36 am

As it turns out the moon is just passing into the one nice clear patch of sky.

Richard Feynman

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:32 am

I apologize for posting that NASA link . . . it is pretty bad. Even NASA TV is dumbed-down for the masses. Pity.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:46 am

Just came in from outside. The Moon is up in a very clear sky, about 2/3 covered in shadow. Very pretty.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

Clouds cleared just in time for us to view start to finish. Such a beautiful event. Only made better because science helps us to understand (and not fear) what is happening.

To paraphrase Loius Pasteur, science is the torch which illuminates the world.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:31 am

The Moon is just coming out of shadow now. It sure was pretty. The Milky Way was bright and arced directly overhead, starting in the north at Perseus, thru Casseopeia, thru Cygnus, thru Aquila and on to the south thru Sagittarius. And my favorite star, Fomalhaut, had risen and was up pretty high in the SE.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm

i saw the full moon this morning at 6am when i drove to work - unfortunately already past the time of eclipse

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Don't forget the lunar eclipse tonight.  |  Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Actually, where I live, I love to see the "one day past full Moon" rise over the mountains because it does so in a darker sky (about an hour later than the evening before) and it still looks pretty full.