FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:49 pm

Some forums I belong to don't want members to post to (revive) old threads. An astronomy forum I belong to will suspend members if they do. But here it seems that many threads are old. Is it OK to post to some of the 1-3 year old threads here?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No hard and fast rule. We're pretty laid back. Do what feels right.

There are some threads that are probably better to let remain dormant due to their topic, but there aren't likely many and we'll let you know if that's ever an issue.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:49 pm

iNow wrote:
There are some threads that are probably better to let remain dormant due to their topic, but there aren't likely many and we'll let you know if that's ever an issue.

If there are threads that you don't want revived, why can't you just close them?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Marnix and I generally only lock threads if they become too heated, stuff that is just a cesspool of trolling, filled with hate speech or ignorance, that sort of thing. We might change this as activity picks up here, if needed.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:45 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

~ As to this topic of reviving old threads.. I saw some of that, and offered a view.. About Captain Cooks memorial site..
If it's not a wanted activity I will not do it..
I really do not want to be thought of as a trouble maker..

and then, only because I am looking for a conversation. I see Robertybob was talking in the 'trash-can'.. about the old subject.
I find some will never learn.. That a view of " They did not make the Moon landings " still needs to be spoken of..
I will not tolerate the view of the conspiracy thinking members.. We can show the science and the factual record of those events..
Why they go on arguing tells me more of them and their un scientific views.. than they want. Is he still around ? to argue with..?
or am I just wasting energy..

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 am

Arguing with Bob is always a waste of energy. He refuses to learn and just carries on repeating nonsense.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Posting to old threads - OK or not? How old is too old?  |  Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

He's not been around for a while. He didn't post to the Trash Can, but had many posts moved there.

As already noted above: No issues bumping old threads if feels appropriate. Will handle case by case.