FAQ
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:07 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

in another thread, the subject of new educational processes changing the demand for expensive university educations was introduced. Specifically:

On another note, MOOCs and wikis and YouTube vids etc. are completely changing the face of education. Wonder what will happen at the university level by the time my daughter is old enough to attend. Perhaps on-campus degrees are soon to be a thing of the past...

What do you think? Is this likely or unlikely? A net positive or a net negative if it does occur?

Thoughts?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:58 am
Original Member
Original Member

In my own experience I am an avid but not completely effectual autodidact. I sure could use access to an actual university.
Really, how does one download a physics or chemistry lab with real reactive chemicals, and lasers, and particle beams, and stuff?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

That's a good observation. Practical and applied education still requires some availability to (often cost prohibitive) facilities and materials, so online learning will likely be more focused on (limited to) the conceptual and abstract components (i.e. stuff you can read or absorb through videos).

That's a clear limitation to receiving a full education. Same with performance and many of the arts which in many cases aren't well suited to online engagement.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:27 pm

There's a place for online education for those who lack the time and means to study on campus. However, as you say, certain things cannot be taught electronically. Also, arguably, education is to be enjoyed! Even if e-learning were 100% efficient, if it leaves the student feeling cold, then is it really worth it? What do students value? Personally I think most of them do value the relationships they develop on campus with other students and staff. There's something irreducibly pleasant about getting lost in a University campus that is big enough to swallow you up 1,000 times over.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:32 pm

the best way to learn coding is not through an on-line course, but by trying out things while other like-minded people are nearby to help you out when you're stuck
you'd be amazed what you pick up by just looking over somebody's shoulder or by just finding out from a random conversation

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:26 am
Original Member
Original Member

There's a model I see used in corporate training departments and learning and development groups known as 70-20-10. The idea is that those sum to 100%, and the components are these: 70% of what folks learn comes from real-life on-the-job training and experience, 20% comes from the people around us like managers and leaders or top performers, and only 10% comes from formal learning programs and training classes (whether instructor-led or web-based on-demand training). Seems like we're talking about how best to structure the 10%, a bit sad when you think about it.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:33 pm

It would actually be fairly easy to complete a degree course for free using the traditional teaching methods. Many University buildings and lecture halls are not locked and no ID is required upon entry. If a small group of students were to collaborate they could potentially attend lectures for free and supplement that with MOOCS and second hand textbooks. (And peer group based learning). The hard part is convincing a University to allow you to take the finals without paying £9,000 (in the UK).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:14 pm

maybe businesses will wisen up pretty soon : you don't need a university degree for most the jobs that need to be filled

if it were up to me if i was recruiting for someone in an IT capacity i would ask for proof of what they were capable of + follow the Google adage : explain something to me that i don't already know

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:39 pm

So, who wants to volunteer for cataract surgery from a person who read about it on a wiki and/or had undertaken a course online? :roll:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Depends on the process through which the online course certifies readiness and capability.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:59 pm

Depends if they had watched enough YouTube clips. If they had their YouTube certificate I might :lol:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:34 pm

scoobydoo1 wrote:
So, who wants to volunteer for cataract surgery from a person who read about it on a wiki and/or had undertaken a course online? :roll:

well it worked for this Kenyan javelin thrower : "Julius Yego famously honed his technique by watching YouTube videos of leading javelin throwers in the hope that one day he could top a world championship podium."

still independent of this, i would still be more interested in finding out how much the person can do in practice, rather than what school he went to or what degrees he's got

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Universities soon to be replaced by MOOCs and wikis!?!  |  Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:43 pm

Watch them eat a steak and check their motor skills :lol:

"Well, Sir, I must say that you have interviewed very well so far. Now, please would you eat a steak in front of me? Lucy, bring in the steak."